Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #16

Sorry,

For whatever reason I haven't been able to access the 'reply' comment box... it's workin now! Then came the Dakar. What isn't workin is my bike :? I will update you all when I have it sorted out.

I'm in central Mexico and finding parts, batteries, solenoids, tires and really any mx equipment is tough. I did price out a Perelli scorpion 110/100 rear the other day (needing new tires) at a local shop and they wanted $150 lol. So, that kinda stuff along with dealing with a country that doesn't get the whole internet thing, my crappy spanish (I'm takin classes) and a lack of disposible income, my bike sits, waiting.

I did however, last week, find an MX store in Leon, GTO... it was like walking through the pearly gates... more gear than I've ever seen in the stores in the north east of the US(where I'm from). So, when the time comes... I know where to go... the guy even stocks my battery! Told me with a sad face... sorry, don't have the Kenda's in stock, you'll have to wait 4-5 days!

Heaven.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #17

100/100 may be a better fit. The 110 might require you to remove the chain guard and do alittle tweaking.

How is it to ship parts from the US? I don't know if rocky mountain ships international.

Allen

Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #18

Already have the chain guard off... I think I may have to grind down the bracket. Having never ridden off road (or on road for that matter) I wouldn't know the difference between 110 or 100... I just figure get the biggest you can fit! My only dirt experience has been with this bike and the stock tires.

As for shipping... I've looked into it and you're paying the import tax (15%) + the company's shipping cost and it all gets expensive pretty quick.

The MX shop discovery in Leon solves most of my problems... He quoted me around $130 for a front and rear Perelli Mx/enduro (don't know the exact tire) and that's reasonable for Mexico. Plus I'm dealing with a human being and I'd rather spend an extra $20-30 while creating a good business connection. He's stocking everything you may ever need for equipment. Alpinestars, Fox, AVS, Oakley... nothing missing there.

Nothing as good as the USA for deals though.

cheers

Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #19

Quick question regarding batteries...

can I get the maintenance free battery or does it have to have the acid etc.?

I'm looking at a 7a BS maintenance free battery for the bike. Other than that, got the new kick start lever on the way, have some synthetic oil to put in and will be flushing out the break fluid and replacing it with dot 3 stuff. Tires will have to wait, but they're comin. I'll be adjusting the clutch as well... up and running in a week.

cheers

Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogin
Quick question regarding batteries...

can I get the maintenance free battery or does it have to have the acid etc.?

I'm looking at a 7a BS maintenance free battery for the bike. Other than that, got the new kick start lever on the way, have some synthetic oil to put in and will be flushing out the break fluid and replacing it with dot 3 stuff. Tires will have to wait, but they're comin. I'll be adjusting the clutch as well... up and running in a week.

cheers
No problemo. If it's a 12 volt battery with the terminals on the correct side and if its about the same size, you're good to go. Gel cells are better, IMHO because they don't spill acid on your bike when you tip over.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #21

fast doc is fast!

Thanks for the quick info... I was thinking the same thing till I typed 'buying a motorcycle battery' into google and the first hit said do not swap out a MF battery for an acid battery unless the owner manual specifically says it's ok... something like that.

Good to know. Cheers

Old 02-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #22

i have that battery and love it tons better than stock plus you get an extra amp

Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #23

UPDATE

OK, so... found a battery. The person at the counter said that it wasn't the type of battery you add acid to to start the charging process... when it finally arrived, it was. Could have saved $15 going with someone else who would have even prepped it for me. Added the acid and read the instructions which said now you have to charge it... apparently it's only at an 80% charge and if you use the battery it'll stay at that % for the rest of it's life. I don't have a charger. 8O So, I find a shop that will charge it for $1.50 but they check the charge and it was around 98% charged. I also purchased a solenoid from the shop, about $25 ... the only parts store that really new what I was talking about (I'm in Mexico).

I got home and installed everything... terrified I did something wrong. Pushed the button and there it is... electric start! Thank God cause it took about 15 min to actually get it to idle. The bike has been sitting outside (through rain storms) for about a month and a week or so. It's still having a hard time starting and today I took it for it's first run. Pretty choppy in 1st, died once and after about a 10 min ride things got back to normal.

Flushed out the brake fluid for some dot 3 stuff. Drained the black/brown oil (ugly!) and added some 20w50 moto specific stuff.

Still need to get the clutch adjusted a bit (no serious problems this morn though) and when I'm in first gear, with the clutch pulled in, the bike moves forward. I'll check the front break pads tomorrow after a longer ride. Still need some new rubber, the broken kick is ordered, need new grips.

happy