Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #16

It's business. The guy with the better deal/cheaper price sells more units. It's called capitalism. If people go into business with their eyes half closed, I'm not sure how you can feel sorry for them. Nobody owes them a living.
Is it a free market, or isn't it?[/quote]

Maybe you have something there....we are an online society. There is no reason to have customer service or to see the fit and finish for quality. I guess being in a disposible society has its advantages.... :roll:

Old 12-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
People will start buying scooters and small motorcycles when the recession ends next summer and gas prices rise above $3.00. That's when the larger Chinese manufacturers will introduce new models. I hope to see some standard models rather than just cruisers, dual sports, and sport bikes. Q
I *think* you will see another "jobless recovery". The recession before this was a jobless recovery, where the strong players moved their manufacturing off shore, and only the stubborn/weak remained. This time the stubborn will be manufacturing off shore and the weak will be gone.
This "recession" is like none other I have seen. Prices are not falling. Mainly, I figure, because only the strong remain. Where you do see prices falling (the auto sector) it is out of desperation, because they have not completed their adjustments yet to manufacture off shore, and need the excuse to ditch their "legacy commitments" (employee pensions and health care).
At the end of this recession I expect high unemployment rates and what jobs remain will be underpaid.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:15 AM   #18

I thought the last time I listened to the news, that Canada was out of the recession?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen

I *think* you will see another "jobless recovery". The recession before this was a jobless recovery, where the strong players moved their manufacturing off shore, and only the stubborn/weak remained. This time the stubborn will be manufacturing off shore and the weak will be gone.
This "recession" is like none other I have seen. Prices are not falling. Mainly, I figure, because only the strong remain. Where you do see prices falling (the auto sector) it is out of desperation, because they have not completed their adjustments yet to manufacture off shore, and need the excuse to ditch their "legacy commitments" (employee pensions and health care).
At the end of this recession I expect high unemployment rates and what jobs remain will be underpaid.
So are prices falling, or prices not falling?
I'm confused by your post.
At the same time, please explain why the manufacturers need the excuse of lower prices, in desperation in order to ditch their legacy costs.

Prices on almost everything are down. The only exceptions I see is higher end real estate in select few cities (just wait until interest rates go up). Real estate everywhere else is down.
Now is the best time I've ever seen to buy almost anything.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #20

Canada was out of the recession?

Not that I see. I see small businesses folding almost every day. Out on the street I see lots of folks just driving around (folks with jobs are at jobs), demands on food banks are increasing, not decreasing.

So are prices falling, or prices not falling?

Prices are falling only in sectors that have not made the transition to off shore manufacturing. The guys still trying to manufacture here are slashing prices.

to ditch their legacy costs.

The old large domestic manufacturing is burdened by high legacy costs (health care and pension). To become competitive they have to ditch these costs. The only way to do that is bankruptcy. Do not think for a moment if, say GM North America goes bust, that the dealers will not have product to sell, they will simply import product from GM Mexico, or GM Korea, you get the idea. By reducing prices it diminishes profit, with little, or no profit, they can either bargain reduction of legacy cost, or go bust, it matters not to them.

I am seeing only reduced prices on luxury goods. The everyday stuff is holding firm. Look at the stuff you buy every week, are you seeing a price reduction of any kind? (I'm not)

Old 12-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #21

Quote:

Not that I see.
Fair enough, but mathematically speaking. According to the news / bank of Canada.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #22

Quote:

I am seeing only reduced prices on luxury goods. The everyday stuff is holding firm. Look at the stuff you buy every week, are you seeing a price reduction of any kind? (I'm not)
Food certainly isn't getting any cheaper. We've started buying baked goods, meat, etc.. from local vendors. The big retail outlets (Loblaw's/Superstore, IGA/Sobey's, etc...) are still charging an arm and a leg for meat/chicken/fish. We pay (~$6 CAD per gallon) at least 2x more for milk than they do in Maine. They've even tried stealth increases on grocery products (e.g. canned Apple Juice) by reducing portions and leaving per unit prices the same. Grrrrr

Sure, electronics and new cars are cheaper but for the most part they're optional.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
Food certainly isn't getting any cheaper.
If you care to notice we are approaching a monopoly situation in the food industry in this country. The monopoly's name is Maple Leaf foods. Maple Leaf foods has been quietly buying up everything they can get their hands on.

http://www.mapleleaf.com/en/corporat...ss-operations/

It is so bad in certain portions of this country, the concept of a farmer taking his animals to the auction is a thing of the past, there being only one buyer.
The information on their website is out of date by about 5 years, they own/control more than they are admitting to.

Remember listeriosis? If you, or I, had poisoned as many folks as Maple Leaf we would have been closed, never to re-open. If the Canadian government closed Maple Leaf Canadians would have starved.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Fair enough, but mathematically speaking. According to the news / bank of Canada.
Mathematically speaking=jobless recovery

Or in layman's terms: the guys moving a piece of paper from one side of their desk to the other side of their desk, and upcharging 50% on the transaction, are still at that work (though it might be 70% now), and the working man is at home planning on going to the Food Bank on Friday.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #25

8O

I'm quietly retreating to the ATV section now...

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
8O

LOL.....

Old 12-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
8O

I have already retreated to the Dual Sport forum.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-30-2009, 11:07 PM   #28

Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDIAgencies
Maybe you have something there....we are an online society. There is no reason to have customer service or to see the fit and finish for quality. I guess being in a disposible society has its advantages.... :roll:
That's just it IMO. I've been out of the power sport scene for years, but when I was recently looking for an inexpensive kids machine, the first place I looked was online. I knew PepBoys, Harbor Freight and eBay had Chinese import stuff, but within a cpl of clicks I found (what appeared to be) reputable mail-order sources for ATVs. For a more basic machine like this, I don't care about Cust. Service. As long as I can order parts, I'll do everything myself.

Joel
1985 Yamaha 225DX trike
1970? Honda Minitrail 70