Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Turkey, Ham etc for a good number of us.

..with that said, we are quite multicultural here, and everyone may have their own cultural food they choose to celebrate with. Thanksgiving also lands close to a big celebration in our Indian community, "Diwali" (could be spelling that wrong) in which members of that heritage celebrate light. If any of you haven't tried Indian cuisine I would highly recommend it. I feel a hankering for Butter Chicken and Samosa's right now!

I don't see Thanksgiving as a 'religious' holiday, but more a day to be thankful for life's blessings whether you're Christian, Hindu, Muslim etc.

I know my Thanksgiving this past October was up at my sister's place in Williams Lake, BC (about 7 hours north of Vancouver) where I did some dirt biking and feasting on Deep Fried turkey and all the fixin's! It was a great weekend. I was especially thankful to Yamaha for making such a fine YZ 250F for me to darn near kill myself on, the solid DOT helmet I wore, and for soft forgiving ground to cushion my falls.

..of course thankful for the beautiful healthy daughters who make me smile every single day they've been on this earth.
I have never thought of Turkey as a religious thing..>Always as a day of being happy for what You have and who You are. A am also thankful for my scary Rm and my lil girl is the only reason I am on the straight and narrow...I owe my life to her right now So I know the same smile You know and it is a good thing.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Stupid Question Of The Day:

Do any Canuks celebrate Thanksgiving?
Not a stupid question at all. Our Thanksgiving is based upon the harvest, and it is in October.

Taken from Wikipedia: On January 31, 1957, the Canadian Parliament proclaimed:

“ A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed … to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October. ”

Even though we get a long weekend out of it, most people I know have their Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday, leaving Monday for relaxing.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-26-2009, 01:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Stupid Question Of The Day:

Do any Canuks celebrate Thanksgiving?
Yup! But ours is on October 12th
Do You do turkey? Or another main dish? I kinda hate turkey so I I'm curious.
You hate turkey! 8O Why, that's un-American! :? Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Spud
Truth be told, I would rather just eat a hamburger Never cared much for turkey....Maybe a deap fried one would be better. :P
I love turkey. Now, a deep-fried turkey sounds very delicious, very unhealthy, and therefore, very American; I rescind my previous statement, AZ. Happy Thanksgiving.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I love turkey. Now, a deep-fried turkey sounds very delicious, very unhealthy, and therefore, very American; I rescind my previous statement, AZ. Happy Thanksgiving.
Spud
Deep-fried turkey good. :wink:
It's almost "mandatory" around here (da' Southeastern US of A) that somebody fries one up and somebody else almost burns down the garage while cooking one.

I'm thankful for my family, that my son is still OK in Iraq, my health and my career (and the last two, help me enjoy my bikes.)
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Belated to all you guys up north.
Bill

Old 11-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #20

I am thankful for friends since all my family lives 1000+ miles away. Will be joining others of my church family shortly.

Happy Thanksgiving to all on any continent. Even if yours has past.

Let's EAT

Allen

Old 11-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #21

I'm gonna have to agree with AZ200cc on the Hamburger thing. I like the candied Yams and stuffing but otherwise I'd rather have a Cheeseburger, Taco, the mystery fish and chicken stuff at Long John Silvers or any number of other foods first. Having said that, the leftover Turkey makes good sandwich meat afterwards.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #22

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope everyone has a great day and gets lots of good eats

Old 11-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #23

Great to hang out with you guys!

I learn a lot here, about so many things!

I'm thankful for my salvation and forgiveness of my sins, which are many. Everything else, my health, freedom, friends, family, practice, voulnteer practice, 'wealth' are all secondary.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #24

Thankful for my family,
a freezer full of seafood,
a big ole pile of firewood,
and a home that will soon be paid for!