Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 11:25 AM   #16

I was thinking either off the back of the rack or to the left side of it, depending on clearance of the tail light and such. It'd be better to be to the rear of the rack, but I don't know if it'd clear the fender/tail light and such. To the left side wouldn't be ideal, but it'd work, I think. It would also give more support to a bag of feed when I'm hauling feed to my feeder down on my place.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #17

First thing I learned when packing mules in the Sierras was that a load had to be balanced or it will fall off. On bikes, rider can compensate some for an unbalanced load, but maybe not 5 gallons of gas.

Balance wise hanging off of the back would be better. The adventure traveller types with the big panniers try to get the weight as far forward of the rear axle as possible.

I think that for bikes a different kind of carrier that would split the load up would be easier to ride. [looking at my bike out the window as I write this] It wouldn't be too difficult to fab up something that would drop onto the stock rear rack and suspend two 1 gallon gas cans just above the rear winkers, one on each side.

If I had a wire feed welder I could make one up in a couple of hours out of 1/2" square tubing. The hardest part would be drinking all that beer while I refined the design.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerslayer
The hardest part would be drinking all that beer while I refined the design.
This has challenged the brightest of men for years.....

Old 07-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #19

Hanging it off the back, I might even get the thing to wheelie!

Um, I could help you with the beer thing while I watched you weld.... :wink:

Old 07-26-2006, 10:34 PM   #20

You could help with that as long as you made the trips back to the fridge for our refills.

In another life long ago I used to be a welder-fabricator and I can really knock that stuff out. Don't have the equipment anymore though. My garage is super organized, [by my wife] and is still so full that to be functional I have to get rid of a toy to add one. I just have too many. No room for a welder. It's just not as much fun as the canoe, mountain bikes, and motorcycles.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #21

I can stick weld, but it looks like crap... Had a welder a long time ago, a 225 amp Lincoln. If I got another, it'd be powered, not 220V. I have bottles and a torch with weld/braze tips, that's it for my equipment, and I need to refill the acetylene bottle.

I've never used a wire feeder. Is a wire feeder easier to be pretty with and would I need a 220V one to do anything with??? I know those cracker box 110V rigs are about worthless as stick welders, but I don't know much about wire feeders.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #22

The 120 volt wire feed welders work real good on light material. If you buy one, don't get the cheapest off brand on sale and don't buy it at one of the big box stores. The big stores get the manufacturers to make special cheapie versions of their products that they can sell at a real low price point. If it is a pressure washer it will have a real low end pump that self destructs shortly after you buy it. If it is a wire feed welder the feed mechanism will soon expire.

Any entry level Miller or Lincoln wire feed welder from a welding supply shop will be easy to use and do a nice job.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #23

Well, according to this site... http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...wirefeeder.asp ... what I'd need is a flux core 110V wire feeder for most of what I do. I could even patch up my boat trailer with it with a couple of passes according to this, maybe a pass on either side of the weld point.

Think I'll put this on the "to buy" list in the future. We have a commercial welding supply right around the corner, deals Miller I know. It wouldn't take too many projects to pay off this rig, and who knows, a guy got good at it might could sell stuff on ebay now and then to help defray the initial purchase.

Thanks for the advice and keep it comin'. Whadda ya think about this site's info? I'm kinda gettin' excited about getting a wire feeder, now...

Old 07-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #24

I have one of these...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40388

and one of these...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93350

Yes I know they are bottom of the line machines, BUT both work real well for the little bit of welding that I actually do. I wish I could afford a nicer unit. I guess that'll come when the kids are grown and out of the house.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #25

How thick can a 90 amp wire feeder weld??? Or, better phrased, how heavy a job have you done with it? I'm trying to avoid 220V cause I don't have a 220 out in my shop. Guess I could always weld near the back porch and plug in to the dryer outlet. :?

Old 07-27-2006, 05:30 PM   #26

I bought this because it was 110v as well. I don't have 220v either. I welded a transmission pan for a friend after he hit a manhole without a cover. Worked like a charm. This is the thickest metal that has been welded with it. My buddy came over and made it.

http://www.eazys.net/GY200/sign.jpg

I have noticed that if I turn the speed down on the thicker stuff it works better. Like I said I don't do much welding just when needed.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #27

Cool sign! That guy is a real craftsman. It is the type of welder ImEazy has that I was suggesting to avoid. They usually work fine out of the box but when you need a part, and wire feed welders always need a part eventually, Harbor is not going to have it and the manufacturer won't either.

The China bikes are cool because there is a million of them made every year, and aftermarket parts and Honda parts will pretty much take care of anything you need. I can't say that for pressure washers and welders. Just my two cents.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerslayer
Cool sign! That guy is a real craftsman. It is the type of welder ImEazy has that I was suggesting to avoid. They usually work fine out of the box but when you need a part, and wire feed welders always need a part eventually, Harbor is not going to have it and the manufacturer won't either.

The China bikes are cool because there is a million of them made every year, and aftermarket parts and Honda parts will pretty much take care of anything you need. I can't say that for pressure washers and welders. Just my two cents.
Good points. I have a welding supply nearby, like I say. I'm going to go price some brand name ones. I ain't going to buy anything real soon, though, money ya know?

If and when I build a gas can carrier, I'll start a thead on it, well, if it's not an eyes sore. I should get ImEazy's friend to do it.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider
I should get ImEazy's friend to do it.
I like that idea. Do you suppose he could make a Cool Boy logo in steel?

Old 07-27-2006, 09:12 PM   #30

I look forward to the gas can mount project.

As for my friend well... he's a fabricator/welder by trade. The sign he made turned out awesome. Unfortunately he's currently spending time in prison for crackin it too hard and stalkin his ex. No fabricating for him, unless they have a metal shop in the joint? Quite a shame as he is a good guy. Just got too hung up on a female. I wish I had his talent!

*edit*
Sorry meant to mention that I have been lucky as far as the wire feed welder goes. I've owned it almost three years without any problems.