Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2023, 05:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
After having the rear wheel fall off while riding (no fun) my former Titan DLX, I've chosen to be safe rather rhan sorry by drilling the axle ends and adding cotter pins to both bikes.. maybe not needed but was east to do and worth it to me
The unfortunate fact for these bikes is that the tolerances and parts quality are not always consistent. If the spacer between the inner races on the rear wheel is too short or made of inferior grade steel, for instance, then the axel bolt cannot be tightened much. It deforms the alignment of the inner and outer race of the two wheel bearings and causes premature failure.

In addition, the brake caliper doesn't align right when the wheel is offset due to overtightening of the axel bolt.

And of course, the pushback bolts set the chain tension, NOT the axel bolt tension. The axel tension cannot possibly keep the axel from moving forward if these chain tension adjustment bolts are set loose.

I think the crown bolt securing method is best for preventing the axel nut from lossening on an extended ride. I have heard ridiculous numbers, close to 100ft lbs and even way more for the axel bolt. The key is to set the chain tensioning bolts properly with enough axel bolt tension to resist easy movement. Then when the chain is tensioned right, carefully lock the adjuster bolts with the lock nut, and cinch the axel nut to 40-50lbs and insert the cotter. That is all that is needed.

I don't even use a crown bolt, and I never have any issue with the rear axel chainging position. I have never lost an axel nut, and it has NEVER loosened. But the crown bolt secure method is far better than tweaking the piss out of the axel nut, risking wheel bearing damage and rear brake rubbing.

I've owned over 50 motorcycles and only 7 of them were shaft drives.

Overtighten the axel bolt to your delight. But be forewarned, those rear wheel bearings and rear brake freedom may be the consequences. And, ...I have seen the cheesy weak box steel swingarm steel at the axel slot get deformed with overtightening. Check yours out. Any pictures? Fess up!