Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2022, 01:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I was worried about chain clearance on my Bashan Storm. No problem. I can measure distance between the arms of the shock tonight, and verify tire size. There are two for 17" I think. Ask another Expect owner to measure distance between the arms of the swingarm there at the front of the tire. I will tonight. Also take a pic. Maybe there is an expect owner that has the DSport mounted.
I thought motorcycle tires were available and selection was a thing of the past. lol I'll have to get out the tape measure and verify a few things that were mentioned in this thread. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standg View Post
Thumper, The Tusk I looked at has a 130mm width. Will the Xpect rear rim fit 130mm? Is there room enough room for a 130mm width tire inside the X-Pect rear swing arm?

I really don't know. I think there is about an inch on either side of the stock tires before hitting the sides of the rear swing arm. I think a 130mm rear tire would look cool on the X-pect
You have probably already decided and ordered. Sorry for the delay. Here is the 130/90-17 Tusk DSport Adventure mounted on my Bashan Storm (rear). It fits the rim just fine:

Name:  TuskMountedSmall.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  169.6 KB
Name:  DSportSize.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  176.9 KB
There is about 4-5mm clearance at the chain. It's no problem. I've done lots of riding in the weeds and nothing gets wedged or caught in there. AND THAT IS A 520 chain conversion (up from 428).
Name:  ChainClearance.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  164.8 KB

Lots of room on the right side of the swingarm:
Name:  RightSwngrmClearnce.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  161.0 KB

Unfortunately, they do not make this tire in a 19" size at all.
Name:  Jan29WarmDay.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  186.8 KB

Last edited by Thumper; 09-04-2022 at 01:15 PM.

Old 09-04-2022, 12:40 PM   #18

That Tusk looks like it would propel you through anything.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 09-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
That Tusk looks like it would propel you through anything.
There is this drop off, about 24 inches that I have driven off a few times on a trail in a nearby park (It is a rock). Once I came back the other way, forgetting this shear drop. I had just put the Tusk on there and was testing it out.

I should get a picture of this obstacle some day. I realized what I had done when I saw it

So I saw there was a little dirt on the right side and aimed for it, juicing it and popping the clutch to lift the front tire just as I got to it. I threw my weight forward and climbed over the tank. The Tusk bit and climbed up, barely. I was amazed (that I survived the maneuver). It saved me. My momentum was just enough to pull the tire into the dirt.

It also wears slowly, unlike any other knobby I've owned. The knobby on the 5 speed Temp X already shows signs of wear with less than 400 miles on it. The Storm has been on that Tusk for more than twice as long, and I still see sharp edges on those blocks! I just took that picture of the tire size markings yesterday! It is my son's Storm now. He loves it. Our escapades this morning were FUN!

But it is also smoother on pavement than any other true knobby I've ridden. There is a flattened surface in the center of the tire, even though my rim isn't really quite wide enough (rolls the center up a bit). That flattening, and the slightly closer spacing of those massive blocks really quiet it down on pavement.

I am going to put one on the new 6 speed Templar X.

Last edited by Thumper; 09-04-2022 at 05:06 PM.