Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd View Post
I actually just watched a FortNine video (I love that channel even though i don't live in Canada) about this. They put a bunch of lubes through the ringer and a reasonably scientific controlled test. The overall winner was gear oil. I don't have a link handy but i'm sure a search for FortNine Chain lubricant will get you what you want on Youtube.
HaHa there was topic about that video and i have to disagree with the "reasonably scientific controlled test"

Project Farm does reasonably scientific controlled tests, others just put some lab coat and mimic a "scientific controlled test" which result in a personal biased view or in sponsor biased view.
Example of a reasonably scientific controlled tests

Last edited by Wild Dog; 04-14-2021 at 11:59 AM.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #17

We need to get Project Farm to do some chain cleaning and lubrication tests!

Old 04-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
We need to get Project Farm to do some chain cleaning and lubrication tests!
That would quite nice to see his opinion about chain cleaning and chain lubrication.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
HaHa there was topic about that video and i have to disagree with the "reasonably scientific controlled test"
My point wasn't that it was a lab controlled test, it's more of reasonably real world test that kinda points you in a direction. Also considering the decided the gear oil was best even though they had plenty of opportunities to sell a product, I'm inclined to believe they're not all that biased. Much less so than any manufacturer's claim. So barring independent labs that really aren't testing real world application anyway....I'll take it for what it is....a somewhat sciency real application with which you can make an informed decision. jmho

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 04-14-2021, 01:27 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm inclined to believe they're not all that biased. Much less so than any manufacturer's claim.

I used to follow his channel, then i got a red flag when he said it was good idea to switch to the dark side... Then i saw the video showing everyone that Royal Enfield engines were better build than others brands..
That video was soo sponsored by RE, check his channel main page, RE Stuff all over the place. Even in some trashing other brands just to make RE look better.

About his chain lube test, it was poor at best. Yes he tested a bunch of products but didn't go very thoroughly. Take 20 or 30 minutes to watch a few videos from Project Farm about comparing oils and then watch FortNine videos and you will see what i mean.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
I just put some of that Honda White Graphite on a chain this weekend. Looks promising. You could almost peel a white strip of lubricant off. I agree, it is all about the environment you use the chain in. In the city you can get by about anything reasonable, but take it out in the dirt and see how it all works.
The Honda white graphite spray isn't perfect. When it gets warm is softens up and will still allow dirt and crud to stick to it a little bit, but it is a lot better than most traditional wet chain lubes/gear oil.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-14-2021, 03:10 PM   #22

Quote:

Project Farm does reasonably scientific controlled tests, others just put some lab coat and mimic a "scientific controlled test" which result in a personal biased view or in sponsor biased view.
Example of a reasonably scientific controlled tests
]
Nothing found on youtube is reasonable or even remotely scientific. No controls, no sufficient sample sizes... Even the project farm methods wouldn't be enough to pass a high school science fair. That data pool is insufficient.

I am not saying that there aren't some interesting results or that conclusions cannot be drawn from some of the results, but they are nowhere near truly scientific either.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I am not saying that there aren't some interesting results or that conclusions cannot be drawn from some of the results, but they are nowhere near truly scientific either.
I agree with you 100%. But there are some people that is way too biased and they are given way too much money from their sponsors to make their products shine.

Do you really think that Royal Enfield has better build quality than Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, DUCATI, BMW, APRILIA ???

This was my face, when he said RE had better build quality than almost every single mfg.
Name:  shocked-astonished-animals-photography-3__700.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  51.1 KB

Old 04-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #24

True on all accounts above, but if you're talking about the video where the oil samples are shipped off for testing, I don't believe the argument was for overall build quality as much as clean manufacturing standards. That being said - it's all about the views....so you have to spin things to be interesting and sometimes the point and/or truth is lost in translation. I really don't think they're deceptive. I have no reason to defend them, I can't even shop there, they service Canada only. LOL. Everything online is taken with a grain of salt unless I can find a peer reviewed research paper on it. That being said, I agree with Megadan's statement that you can use multiple sources and information to draw conclusions.

As the great Jim Rohn said - Be a student, not a follower

Old 04-14-2021, 04:55 PM   #25

Oh and another thing - Lubrication in general seems to be the internets favorite scapegoat for debates. Why? I have no clue but it's usually the hottest debate on any forum I've belonged to ranging from Jeeps to Suzuki GS bikes. Very odd because most studies show there are more important factors than if you use Valvoline or Penzoil (i.e.)

Old 04-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #26

Quote:
True on all accounts above, but if you're talking about the video where the oil samples are shipped off for testing, I don't believe the argument was for overall build quality as much as clean manufacturing standards.
The point was showing how great the Royal Enfield is as a MFG. Because none of those engines were new, none of them were owned by the same folk. So it's pretty much pointless.

Quote:
Oh and another thing - Lubrication in general seems to be the internets favorite scapegoat for debates. Why? I have no clue but it's usually the hottest debate on any forum I've belonged to ranging from Jeeps to Suzuki GS bikes. Very odd because most studies show there are more important factors than if you use Valvoline or Penzoil (i.e.)
Indeed it is. Most of the time it's because you have one side that will like to stick to the mfg user manual and the other side that will swear for "x" product.

Not only oils and lubricants but anything that is liquid.

Single malt or Blended???
Bourbon or Scotch??
Lager vs Ale??
Coke vs Pepsi ?? (This one is easy not even pepsi like pepsi)

Old 04-15-2021, 03:42 AM   #27

Quote:

Do you really think that Royal Enfield has better build quality than Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, DUCATI, BMW, APRILIA ???
Absolutely not, although I haven't been too impressed with some of the big name brand companies and their material quality or QC either in the last number of years. The big names are making the mistake of sacrificing quality in the name of profit margin in weird and silly ways.

RE has slowly stepped their game up in the quality department as well, but they still suffer from some China-bike comical levels of QC issues, like cross threaded bolts, stripped threads, or even variations in their frame construction so great that aftermarket companies have to offer solutions to compensate for differences so their products can actually fit every bike. Next time you get a chance, look at one of the 650 twins left foot peg/shifter and notice that they stick out at an angle. That wasn't done on purpose lol.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #28

I do belive you.
A friend of mine bought a Yamaha XSR 900 two years, he was very eager to ride it everywhere.
So in the summer we went to beach, while he was showing me the motorcycle i saw way too many details that screamed "CHINAAA" even if it is actually made in Japan
Name:  Biostar-TB360-BTC-PRO-Mining-Motherboard_l.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  108.8 KB
Yes, my friend needs to eat more.

While is true that RE is making better motorcycles than a few years ago. They are still on par with "high end" chinese motorcycles like CF moto and Benelli.
Even they are better priced than a CF or Benelli. But what i dislike about RE is way too obvious they are paying people to speak way too nicely about RE.

RE is very popular here, so much that they put an assembling line

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news...south-america/

I like their products but i just dislike they way the do marketing.
Even more when you have someone in youtube trying to sell me that the build quality is above everyone..

Old 04-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
If you want to make an easier and more modern oil/grease bath system, go find yourself an old home kitchen fryer. I use one for hot setting bearing on shafts, but it would be just as effective at grease or heavy oil heating.

Were you ever an air cooled VW fan?
That's the VW method of getting all the gears back together in a transmission

Old 04-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #30

The climate of the economy, the competitive nature of the industry, etc etc all contribute to the fact that Chinese manufacturers are not as crap as they used to be, and some of the big companies are cutting costs where they think they can leading to possible quality issues or sloppy manufacturing standards, etc.

I'm not as immersed in the motorcycle industry as many of you are, so I don't have a ton of first hand experience to go on. Just what I read, and hear, and the little bit I do actually get to put my hands on.

That being said - I really fail to see how that video was trying to convince anyone that RE is the best built...I dunno I'm actually gonna go watch it again. I didn't get that impression at all. I will say that there's alot to be desired in way of explanation in the video. Example...were these the 1st oil changes done on the bike, or did they have varying mileage, etc. There's some information we didn't get. He does admit that they used a ridiculously small sampling. I dunno, there's some youtubers out there being blatant with thier misinformation just to sell something, I didn't get that feeling. Is it questionable...ya for sure if for no other reason than the small sampling.

EDIT: Ok 5 seconds in - 1st service oil from 12 new motorcycles. So just that sets me up to believe this is about how clean the manufacturing standards are. And if RE knew they were shit in the past, they're overcompensating now, so that actually makes sense. I dunno, jmho. I think we derailed the poor OP's thread at this point. LOL, sorry