Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #16

I have a brand new red MX helmet I'll sell for $49 shipped. Still has original box.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to PorterzCustomz
I bought 2!! One for the street and one for the trial. They both look really sweet and they were both under $35 bucks shipped. I will say that again.. they were both under $35 a piece shipped..

The street helmets (first one) are better overall, they will block the wind, the cold or the rain. I also bought a dirtbike helmet for one reason.. Allright for 2 reasons.. The main being that it allows alot more air into the helmet if your on a trail on a hot summer day and it looks cooler because its more rebel dirtbike on the road where I get more looks and ppl give me the thumbs up and ask how I dare ride a dirtbike illegally on the road =) People think im just bad ass and I drive a dirtbike illegally on the roads :wink: The dirtbike helmet also has another drawback on the road aside from not blocking the wind, the top shield will catch the wind and pull your head back if you ride over about 65 mph.

So I bought one for the road and one for the trail. I am putting the dual back in dual purpose

BOTH HELMETS $65 bucks total!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Get a SNELL approved helmet. You can find SNELL helmets on ebay in your price range...
SNELL helmets actually transmit more energy to your head than a DOT helmet. Many manufacturers say the only reason they make SNELL approved lids is because they sell better.
There's a push beginning to revamp the ratings and move more towards European style helmets with softer insides.
I stay away from SNELL helmets personally.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to PorterzCustomz
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Get a SNELL approved helmet. You can find SNELL helmets on ebay in your price range...
SNELL helmets actually transmit more energy to your head than a DOT helmet. Many manufacturers say the only reason they make SNELL approved lids is because they sell better.
There's a push beginning to revamp the ratings and move more towards European style helmets with softer insides.
yea, the ones above are just the dot helmets. Most people will hopefully never have an accident serious enough for there to be a difference from one or the other but you never know. I have been riding for over 10 years never had an accident that was serious enough that one helmet or the other would of been better, knock on wood.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:29 AM   #20

Bart Those are great Helmet's and great prices...... I have thought about getting the modular ones before..

Old 04-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #21

I love the helmet. They had fast shipping. About a month ago I went on a business trip to Atlanta for a week. While I was gone my 5 year old daughter strapped my helmet on to ride her bicycle. She soon realized it was too heavy so she took it off and I don't mean carefully. It took a nasty hit on the concrete. :x When I got home no one told me. As I was riding to work the next morning I thought my lense was dirty. After I got to work I noticed how bad it was scratched. I confronted my about she said "Oh yea, Karmen dropped your helmet." :evil: I ordered another mask from the same company. $20 with shipping. Helmet now put where little hands can't reach. Lesson learned.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:02 AM   #22

Looking for availability of replacement shields for my particular helmet and found out that they make a "snowmobiling" double lense type and a regular single lense type for it. I guess the double lense type is supposed to prevent fogging in sub freezing temps???

Old 04-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #23

I have three helmets.

I wear this one the most.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed...ports/zeus.htm

It was in your price range and I really like the modular design. Not the best helmet, but keeps the rain out.

I also have a fulmer full face bought new off ebay for $30 shipped. It is snell approved, but I don't really like the fit of it.

I also have an HJC dirt helmet for the trails.

Like porterz commented. Not good on the street at higher speeds.

I bought all three on ebay in new or near new condition for cheap. I also bought two jackets and rain gear for good prices.

Allen

Old 04-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
The reason I suggest snell is they test to make sure the helmets actually meet the standards, I believe DOT is stamped on the helmet on the honor system... I had read a write up about it but I lost the link, was quite a while ago. I know from experience on buying cheap ebay full face helmets though the snell ones were of better quality then the dot.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #25

The Zeus helmet is not too bad for the money spent, but the fulmer is one of their bottom of the line models and it is snell approved.

The quality is about the same maybe slightly better than the zeus.

It is not to hard to find a nice helment at a great price on ebay. It is a good idea to try a few on first and note the sizes so that if you buy online you will get the right size the first time.

Allen

Old 04-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #26

A lot of the time on ebay they have a sizing chart which is helpful since different brands may fit different, but I agree it is good to try some on first.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #27

The correct way to fit a helmet is to remove the cheek pads, put it on and see if it wiggles around, it should make good contact all the way around.. you should just be able to insert your index finger between the helmet and your forehead. If it's too loose it will not protect your noggin, to tight and it will give you a headache, put your ears to sleep and just be a PITA to wear. Remember too that the padding will break down, so it's better to go a little on the snug side.
Different lids are also shaped differently. There are round, oval, long oval, etc... A large Vega fits my head well, while a large HJC is too short. The more expensive helmets generally come in more sizes and shapes than the low end lids do.
It's important to get the best made, best fitting you can afford. The skull is fragile and the brain even more so. I know that ABATE tries to discount the effectiveness of wearing protective gear and I hope that no one here follows that line of thought. What might be a mild spill can be deadly to an unprotected rider. Gear costs and can be somewhat uncomfortable to wear on hot days. But when you take a look at the discomfort of broken bones, reconstructive surgery, skin grafts and the misery caused to your family (with you out of work, crippled or dead) wearing All The Gear, All The Time makes good sense.
I'm not saying that wearing gear will always save you from everything that comes along, it won't. But when you hit the pavement doing 40mph you'll be glad to have it! I know that for a fact. You won't catch me riding without a fullface hat, armoured jacket, boots and gloves. I wear my armoured pants about half the time, but have a pair of mesh ones on the way for summer.
---SoapBox Mode:OFF---

Old 04-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #28

Quote:
to tight and it will give you a headache, put your ears to sleep and just be a PITA to wear.
This is very important advice. I had a helmet that was too small, not fun.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #29

The HJC I bought doesn't fit me well so I don't wear it much.

My Zeus helmet fits well and doens't move around. I find it comfortable.

I too wear an armoured jacket and gloves all year round.

Allen

Old 04-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #30

For anyone that likes the modular I got my son and I these and love the built in sun visor.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&sear...%20Sterlingtek