Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2020, 10:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
Probably those more interested in the 21/18 wheels lean towards the Hawk id imagine
I agree. One of the things I changed on mine was I put knobby tires on and in the future I may move to a 21" front wheel. I think I'd rather have the 17" rear and use a taller tire and let the little extra sidewall help compensate for the lack of rear wheel travel... Even if it's just a little bit.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 11-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Ditch View Post
culcune is right about the knobby tires on the recon, for street riding you won't like them and I doubt if they wear well. others have said different but on my recon the inverted forks bite. one was leaking within days and they are way to soft for off road. folks have fixed this I hear by changing the fork oil and eventually I will do the same. the peace sports team are tops for service. after putting a few thousand miles on the recon since may it is still a solid bike other than the suspension. I live just above sea level and have left everything stock so far other than adding some auxiliary lights and have had no issues with stock jetting. the gearing is stock as well and after break in the top speed has been just north of 60 but on pavement it is not a pleasant experience on the knobbys. all that being said if I bought another bike in that price range today I might would gamble on a standard hawk, I say gamble because I don't believe there is a dealer who will stand behind a hawk yet so if you get a dud it's probably game over. also my riding is different from what you plan, I rarely get on pavement and when I do it is usually for just a few minutes. the stock gearing is fine for me but I agree if you are doing mostly on road you may want to change it up.
Long story short if you can work on a bike with help from here or on your own I think I would go with the hawk and use the money saved on some panniers and lights and since I am short a shorter rear shock and probably some handle bars and a folding shift lever. seat height was a factor in my decision but after looking for tires for the recon I envy the guys with 21" and 18" wheels. there is nothing wrong with the stock tires I would just prefer something even more aggressive.
Good luck.
Dunlop 606 is a good aggressive 17" tire. Really liked it on my KLX 650.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #18

I still say Brozz, he has stated his riding will be at least 70% street , with only mild , not hard, casual trail exploration. 21/19 is great offroad, not so hot on road .If he had been looking at a more dirt oriented machine i would have pointed him right at a RXB 250 which is $2k and has hands down the best suspension / frame for offroad in the chinese class ,followed with maybe an Apollo DB36.

But those both are marginal at best for primary ON Road use ,especially the RXB , I own one and it is not a lot of fun to ride on the street, but is awesome off road ,it's just too dirt focused to work well for street use , the DB36 "can " do both but my issue with the DB36 is simply that the seat is SO hard it is like an upholstered cinder block and it just is a real pain whether you are on the street or trails ,if they could fix that one thing about the DB36 ,and if you plan to do a lot of street riding, you are going to get pretty aggravated pretty fast with the equivalent of a brick jammed up your backside ,and thats what it feels like after 15 - 20 mins lol.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 11-03-2020, 11:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
I still say Brozz, he has stated his riding will be at least 70% street , with only mild , not hard, casual trail exploration. 21/19 is great offroad, not so hot on road .If he had been looking at a more dirt oriented machine i would have pointed him right at a RXB 250 which is $2k and has hands down the best suspension / frame for offroad in the chinese class ,followed with maybe an Apollo DB36.

But those both are marginal at best for primary ON Road use ,especially the RXB , I own one and it is not a lot of fun to ride on the street, but is awesome off road ,it's just too dirt focused to work well for street use , the DB36 "can " do both but my issue with the DB36 is simply that the seat is SO hard it is like an upholstered cinder block and it just is a real pain whether you are on the street or trails ,if they could fix that one thing about the DB36 ,and if you plan to do a lot of street riding, you are going to get pretty aggravated pretty fast with the equivalent of a brick jammed up your backside ,and thats what it feels like after 15 - 20 mins lol.
Very good points and that's why i was so focused on the Brozz as well with the counterbalanced engine (least vibrations/loose bolts) and seat that everyone says is so amazing as well as some thumbs up for perceived better build quality/ fit and finish.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #20

now just keeping an eye on prices hoping for some holiday coupon codes

Old 11-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
now just keeping an eye on prices hoping for some holiday coupon codes
Some of our sponsors do offer coupons in December. I'll post them up when available.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #22

Just pulled the trigger.. i didnt want to wait anymore as it was just getting frustrating. I ordered a Desert Tan Brozz Recon and am looking forward to getting it soon and will post up pics in a new thread when she arrives. I chose the Recon model instead of the base Brozz because i really liked the looks of the blacked out wheels, triple tree and swingarm.. also i think the knobbier tires should be fine especially around some of the gravel roads i can road close by and with my son.
Thanks again everyone for the help!

Old 11-04-2020, 10:48 PM   #23

Congrats!! It will be a good bike, but from all that you wrote about your riding plans, you should have just gotten a regular Brozz. At least tires are not expensive to change out. But, it IS a Brozz, so you got a quality machine either way!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Congrats!! It will be a good bike, but from all that you wrote about your riding plans, you should have just gotten a regular Brozz. At least tires are not expensive to change out. But, it IS a Brozz, so you got a quality machine either way!
I debated on that for a bit but i the end decided on the Brozz as i loved the look with the blacked out wheels, triple tree and swingarm.. also, i watched a video of Dork in the Road with the same bike mentioning how he really liked how the knobbies performed on the road and felt fine at speed which sealed it for me

Old 11-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #25

Just to add my 2 cents i bought the tt250 with the upgraded knobby tires and everyone said i wouldnt like them because they are bumpy and feel unstable at higher speeds etc. I ride about 75% street and occassionally go off into the woods the other times. Nevertheless i liked the idea of always having the option to go over any terrain at any given moment.
But i was worried i made a costly mistake when i ordered my tt (cost me $300 for the pair and install from CSC, ans i called all my local shops asking about swapping them ans the lowest quote was $275!!!!) and so i called to cancel but csc told me the bike was already outfitted them and ready to ship.

When i got the bike i noticed how awesome they looked especially the tt's large 21 inch front tire. CSC sent me the stock tires and i admit they have pretty aggressive tread on them as well, but nowhere near the build of the knobbys.

Having ridden nearly 100 miles on my tt250 (i am 4 days into ownership) i can tell you that i am not the least bit regretful!! The bike rides VERY smooth, not clunky AT ALL, and the tires feel 100% planted. I do not feel like the bike is going to slip out from under me at all. They are stable at speed and corners, and i LOVE LOVE LOVE the feeling of rolling up to an offroad hill or trail and just monster trucking my TT over whatever i point it at!!

What brand are the knobbys on the Recon? They are TR8 Battles on the tt250.