Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #16

I thought about this thread as I rode to central Scottsdale yesterday, and did a few errands. I made it a point to hold 72-73 on the highway, which was never an issue on the mild hills between my home and that location.

I went by the BMW dealer, and looking out the window at the RX3, they asked me what mods I'd done to my G310GS to make it look like that. LOL. They offered me a 310 for $4699, which is very very tempting to replace the RX3.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
I thought about this thread as I rode to central Scottsdale yesterday, and did a few errands. I made it a point to hold 72-73 on the highway, which was never an issue on the mild hills between my home and that location.

I went by the BMW dealer, and looking out the window at the RX3, they asked me what mods I'd done to my G310GS to make it look like that. LOL. They offered me a 310 for $4699, which is very very tempting to replace the RX3.
It's sad when a Chinese manufacturer produces a small ADV that is more GS than BMW's own offering. They really did just phone it in on the 310, which could have been so much more if they had actually tried; and considering the recall issues that the 310 has had, I would not be tempted by it at all, especially in light of the RX4's existence and only $300 upcharge.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #18

Interesting you say that, I'm currently working on getting a four hour demo ride on a 310. The suspension has to be better, no? This RX3 shock is killing me. But nobody in Phoenix can keep a 310 GS in stock, they sell the day they arrive. Zero trade-ins according to the three dealers I asked. So are those owners stupid, or is it really that good?

I both love the RX3, and hate the "almost good enough" that it brings, on every feature and detail.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Interesting you say that, I'm currently working on getting a four hour demo ride on a 310. The suspension has to be better, no? This RX3 shock is killing me. But nobody in Phoenix can keep a 310 GS in stock, they sell the day they arrive. Zero trade-ins according to the three dealers I asked. So are those owners stupid, or is it really that good?

I both love the RX3, and hate the "almost good enough" that it brings, on every feature and detail.
I wouldn't read anything special into the 310 GS sales numbers, since due to COVID-19 everything small is selling like hot cakes. CSC is sold out of SG250's; you have to get on a waiting list for a 2021 now if you want one, and KTM is experiencing similar issues with their 390 models. Due to social distancing requirements, motorcycling is undergoing a bit of a revival - it's one of the few activities that will get you out of the house without exposing yourself to potential infection from close quarters interaction with COVID zombies.

I don't recall the equipment specifics of your RX3 apart from it has the aluminum luggage, but if you are running the stock shock then you may want to pick up the Progressive upgrade shock that CSC sells. Check with them to see what springs/spring rates they have for it. It will definitely be a lot cheaper than buying a $4600 BMW just to get a softer shock.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:07 PM   #20

Quote:

While you are test riding other bikes, try to get a hold of a RX4 owner in your area and see if they will let you try it out. I believe forum member Musictrek has one and is located in Flagstaff, going from the videos that he has posted on YouTube. It really is head and shoulders above the RX3 and the 310 GS, with similar ergos and it would allow you to transfer over your Tourfella luggage. Still stiff in the suspension department, although CSC is working on softer spring set ups; forum member Pyoungbl has one that he is testing for CSC now.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #21

I picked up a KTM 390 Adventure on Saturday, the RX3 is for sale. It's pretty awesome. The RX4 was never in the running for me.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:33 AM   #22

Quote:
I picked up a KTM 390 Adventure on Saturday, the RX3 is for sale. It's pretty awesome. The RX4 was never in the running for me.
Glad to hear that you found something that is more to your liking. Be sure to check out the two 390 threads over on the AdvRider forums for more info and other rider's tips and experiences on the bike. Hopefully your RX3 finds a good home. Out of curiosity, were you able to test ride the G310GS? If so, what did you find in regards to the RX3 and 390 Adventure that made you go the 390 route?

Old 09-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #23

I rode the 310 long ago, and it was clearly better than the RX3. The 390 was even "more better" than that. The RX3 proved that I love this category of bike for running around town and some light dirt time. I reached for it more often than my CBR1100XX because in the city, it's just simply easier to ride and more fun. But it's a 90% bike...in size...power...refinement. Rear suspension is truly awful. It was clearly made for a smaller and lighter person, and it's made from Chinesium with Chinese quality as we all know. I just wanted to get something that is at the top of class. I will sell the RX3 for sure, and quite possibly the XX. I just don't do long high speed rides any more.

DO NOT think I'm putting down the RX3. It was absolutely worth the cost, and I simply want high end now.

One major factor in the 390...the all-glass dash and integrated electronics/communication. I'm very much into audio/phone/nav integration in vehicles. Short of Carplay showing up on a bike, this is a decent "close enough."

I'm about half way through one of the 390 threads so far. Lots to look at. Funny also to see how much the bike evolved in three months of that thread.