Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #16

Rolling Wrench on YouTube has a lot of good info. It's not my favourite channel, but it's informative. It'll tell you what you need.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-23-2020, 02:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Rolling Wrench on YouTube has a lot of good info. It's not my favourite channel, but it's informative. It'll tell you what you need.
Did a lot of reading and video consumption today, have information overload. I have a 1P57MJ GY6 engine. The info i came across conflicts whether the kit that the scooter guys sell would work. Something about the valves not closing complete and possible hitting the piston. Another thread i read said it wouldn't be an issue if you also purchase the head. Ended up ordering from Amazon since the other places have a 20% restocking and shipping fee.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #18

Can't argue with that price! Please share the build process with us. I might do the same upgrade.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #19

Received the piston from Amazon and it was a no go. The sleeve was bigger than stock, oh well worth checking.

Stock Piston Sleeve
GY6 Top End Rebuild by ntrodriguez, on Flickr

61mm Piston Sleeve

Old 01-25-2020, 08:56 PM   #20

Found my compression issue...

Old 01-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #21

Good thing i had a backup plan. Picket up a like new piston, piston sleeve, head and cam for $30 on offer up. Guy did a Big Bore swap on his scooter. Now i need to either get a different valve cover or some how block it off.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #22

Yep. Holes in the piston make horsepower leak out. Bummer.
Also a bummer that the big bore kit doesn't fit. Are you considering hogging out the case to fit?

Old 01-27-2020, 10:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Are you considering hogging out the case to fit?
Not at this time, If I do bore it out, i'm going with a bigger kit to make it worth it.

Old 02-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #24

Electrical Problem

Put in a few hours this morning tightening up things on the quad. The plan was to see how much compression is in the engine after doing the parts swap. Engine wouldn't turn over using the starter switch. So used the old screw driver trick to the solenoid relay, it crank slow, like if the battery was low. Double checked to make sure i had the correct battery that I charged earlier that morning. Reconnected it and cracked again, once again it was a slow crank like if the battery was dead. Then the wiring harness started to smoke. took hardness apart to see which wire is was. The wire that was starting to melt was the green one connected to green stator wire.

The 10amp fuse didn't pop, not until i started to disassemble the wiring harness. The wires up front are not connect , so my assumption the wires must of touch and poped the fuse. I'm pretty sure i had the key in the off position but not 100% sure. This is a new wiring hardness, that worked as intended and fired up on another quad. recently swap it over to this ATV. I did have the safety brake switch bypass so it would start. So I need some help in tracking down a short in my electrical system. Is the not starting from the switch related to the smoking wire?

Old 02-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #25

Could be. Green is normally ground and this is a new harness on this quad. Maybe there is no ground strap from the engine to the frame.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Could be. Green is normally ground and this is a new harness on this quad. Maybe there is no ground strap from the engine to the frame.
I do have a ground strap. Black wire from hardness to engine, black wire from engine to battery. I’ll check to make sure I ground and continuity

Last edited by Vwchisme; 02-05-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:43 PM   #27

Quote:
What a dummy the engine ground was in place but not tighten.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #28

Fixed the burnout wire by scavenging a green wire from am old wiring hardness. That why i keep the old hardness for situations like this. Figured out the no crank issue from the switch. Well the rear tail light needs to be plug in, in order for it to crank over. Since i had the hardness wires exposed i was able to trace the wire to the rear tail light .I left the rear tail light unplug on purpose, i like to just plug in the necessary wires to get it to crank, problem solve.
Next issue was getting it to stay on and idle. Installed a new plug in and it solved all the issues i was having with getting it started and idling. Got a little nervous since for what seemed like for ever, the exhaust was putting out white smoke. The white smoke did help to find exhaust leaks, fixed the leaks and eventually the smoke cleared.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #29

Moving on to the oil change. I have Shell Rotella 15w40 and Valvoline utv/atv 10w40. Does it matter which one i use on the GY6 engine?

Old 02-11-2020, 11:44 AM   #30

Not really. I like synthetic 10W30 in a GY6 engine. It doesn't have a wet clutch, so you're only lubricating the reciprocating assembly.