Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to coleary15
ok i wanna get the smf-200 but my dad hates my roketa b/c it falls apart...is the smf that much better?

Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #17

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remeber ever seeing a Hyosung street/trail, only v-twin street bikes and some scooters. As a matter of fact; they don't list any off-road capable bikes on their website.

http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/

I know United Motors is a Florida (?) based importer. The DTF/SMF is definately Chinese built, albeit the best I have seen so far. Actually, I have the seeking suspicion that the UM's frame was made at the same plant that my Lifan's frame was made... don't ask my why, but they just LOOK like they were.

As far as buying a UM/Hyosung street bike, why? The prices are so close to their Japanese counterparts it just doesn't make sense. The new Ninja 250 has several advantages over the UM 250 as the SV 650 does over the GT 650. At least the UM dirt bikes have a decent price advantage and the engines are shared with their cheaper Chinese brothers.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleary15
ok i wanna get the smf-200 but my dad hates my roketa b/c it falls apart...is the smf that much better?
Long term? I dunno. But from riding and a side by side comparison I'd say it is a much better bike. There is a strong possibility that I'll get one and I've only had my Lifan since July.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to coleary15
ive had my bike since january of 2007 and ive already spent about $210 just on parts that break and that includes a rim and most of it is spokes and i have yet to get a new shock...

Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #20

coleary, the warranty is better than the Jap/Euro equivalents. It seems to have the "stuff" but it is expensive for a Chinese bike. It must be pretty good because UM has an exclusive deal with Skyteam--you can't get a Skyteam branded bike in the US (not sure of other countries that carry UM, such as Central and S. American countries) anymore.

knothead, hyosung has a enduro, but it hasn't been pushed too much here. They might have dropped it just recently in the US, but I have seen it on their site at some time. My guess is that it could never compete against the Chinese bikes in price here.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleary15
ive had my bike since january of 2007 and ive already spent about $210 just on parts that break and that includes a rim and most of it is spokes and i have yet to get a new shock...
It sounds like you have ridden in pretty hard though. I new rim and spokes for a honda would have been much more.

Allen

Old 03-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #22

OK so we went and looked the (UM-DTF200-$1995) at labaron's (local dealer that I linked to) and the bike is very nice from what I could see of it, it was packed in with several other machines.

The first few things that I noticed right off was the CB engine and the complete frame that should make for a solid bike.
The welds were at worst as good as the best welds on my CL and then better.

The salesman told me it was titled for offroad use only but it did have the blinker, horn switch so maybe he was wrong or maybe they just havnt gotten that model DOT approved yet even so making it street legal would be very easy.

It did have knobby tires and I didnt see if they were DOT or not but I'd change them out for a bit better dualsport tire anyway.

One of the coolest things is it has a computer dash much like the vapor.

If I were looking for an inexpensive bike right now I'd seriously consider one of these.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #23

Mike, the DTF is the off-road model, the DSF is the dual sport--nearly identical, but subtle differences.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #24

yeah your right i got the UM models all mixed up but the DTF is very close to being a street legal bike.

Very subtle differences because the DTF looks almost streetable but that is the only model they had at that dealer.

I liked it a lot.
I would like to weld in a front frame section and redo the mounts like the DTF has on our bikes.

OH I was told but will believe it when I see it that UM will have a 400cc in the spring of 09 but like I said I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #25

Has anyone found these bikes availible shipped? I'm not making any headway on price with the local dealer. I'd buy one for $1995, but not the $2995 they are asking.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #26

Try www.cbxman.com They ship these things assembled, with gas, and ready to ride for about $250 shipping, plus a usually discounted purchase price.($100 shipping if you live in a 150 mile radius). They don't show any of the 200 UM's, but I think they have them if you call or email them.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
Try www.cbxman.com They ship these things assembled, with gas, and ready to ride for about $250 shipping, plus a usually discounted purchase price.($100 shipping if you live in a 150 mile radius). They don't show any of the 200 UM's, but I think they have them if you call or email them.
I emailed them to find out. I doubt if they will match the $1995 price, but you never know.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #28

Send a message via MSN to erod
um-WARNING

I bought a 2007 dsf200 last summer. It has given me PROBLEMS. I would not recommend these bikes to someone i like. To make matters worse my dealer is not helpful. (What good is a warranty if you can't get the parts?)
1) left turn indicator never worked. I need a new console - but they are on back order.
2) bike was not assembled properly - I had to take it back to have the electrical done again.
3) the rear brake will sometimes engage by itself. I have to pull over and let it cool off before I can go again.
4) the bike has 700 miles on it and I already need a new front bearing.

If I had it to do over again I would buy a drz400. My advice about the UM 200's - stay away - far away. :oops:

Old 03-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
As far as buying a UM/Hyosung street bike, why?
The Hyosung Avatar 650 cruiser is more than competitive with the Honda VLX (now discontinued, BTW), Kawasaki Vulcan 500 and Yamaha's Star V Star 650.

The Hyosung GV250 is a better bike (IMO, and that of Motorcycle Cruiser magazine) than the Star V Star 250 (formerly named the Yamaha Virago 250, and before that, the Route 66) and the Honda Rebel.

The Hyosung Comet 250 standard is embarassingly better than the more expensive Honda Nighthawk 250.

tcs

Old 03-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
The salesman told me it was titled for offroad use only but it did have the blinker, horn switch so maybe he was wrong or maybe they just havnt gotten that model DOT approved yet...
More likely the bike isn't EPA.

tcs