Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
hey guys im new to the forum here and extremely interested in getting a hawk for adventure riding and for cheaper transportation. I live in NC btw and have been riding dirt bikes for a few years now but i want something to use as alternate transportation besides my car and the hawk 250 is really appelaing to me but i dont have my motorcycle liscense and the hawk would be myfirst street registered bike and i need help knowing how to go about the whole getting my endorsement along with getting the hawk and registering it in my state. I will be using the hawk to get my full endorsement but will have to get my learners for the time between ordering a hawk if you guys reccomend it and getting it fully registered and insured so i can ride it on my learners for a few weeks and get to know it better before going back for the driving exam at the DMV. can any of you help?
Welcome! Please consider taking the MSF course.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome! Please consider taking the MSF course.
I second this approach.

If you have been riding dirt bikes for a while, then the MSF course will be a breeze, and in a couple of days you will have a full endorsement.

They also usually have their own bikes that they provide for the learning and testing, so you don't have to worry about bringing your own.

You also get a discount on your insurance for taking the MSF course, and for a first time rider, this can actually save you quite a bit. My friend just got his endorsement this year and it saved him almost $500 for his first year of insurance.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #18

got to be optomistic

well now past the mini highjacking

After a 2 day delay on shipping not to bad ,i got to meet the guy for delivery an its in the crate ,no full assembley for me ,now that i got past the near 1/4th mile trip on 2 4 way dollies ,an some up hill climbs time of day cant find any help ,got a big time work out ,i called Tx an they said if i wanted to i could refuse delivery ,or have them send it back to hub an get small truck ,theres like 1 for all of southern NH ,other option was refuse send it back an wait for fully assy bike,ups guy is not helping me an turns out to be a big ,so now that i look at the bike fully intact. the one pole i took off in the picture was bent an about inch from hitting the exhaust,but all looks good ,so the plus now is dont have to put any decals on it can go with my own look without goo be gone looks 85% ,they came in kit ,so thursday will put together with my friend ,an just be glad i got it ,i relize if in sent it back then whats next who knows 15% retocking fees,they said they would not charge me but dont seem to be much trust ,but i thought oh well i get to put it together my way, an just do all the fluids same time,suggestions when i put the front tire on 5 gallon bucket is my thought under the bike i am going to have help too so good .some i see dont have plastics installed this does as you can see
when one reads alot of other nightmare storys worse then mine,just got to accept the things i can not change an the wisdom to know the difference ,God

??? wich lock tight are you all useing i want to got get some tomorrow ,sore but happy

Old 06-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #19

I use loctite 243 since it has a higher temp rating than 242, making it good for pretty much every bolt on the bike except the exhaust. You can also use 242, and that can be found at any parts store.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:31 PM   #20

thanks megadan will do that ,i noted one sticker on the bike said offroad only ,now that i pulled it off its like the only one i would keep ehehe i guess at first they were hard to get registered ,got a black an white monster energy handle bar pad comeing too the seat hawks can stay after all it is a hawk ,looks like they filled the crank case all the way up with there junk ,the window is full ?? on the battery acid is it just made to put some in each cell looks pretty simple an then i should probley fill that up then put trikle charge over night ,need to get some dot 3 an locktite 242 ,glad i quit smokeing near a year now,couse it was bish to get home

Old 06-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #21

It sounds like you're asking how much acid to add to the battery. Powersports batteries are normally shipped with the correct amount of acid, meaning you add all of it. The type I'm accustomed to has an inline six-pack of acid with foil sealing the top. The idea is to turn the six-pack upside down and pierce the foil with the tubes that are within the cells. Gently push down on the six-pack, and the acid will flow directly into the battery and be the correct amount.
Does that sound like what you received?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #22

Do not add all of the acid to the battery. You should end up with a little extra. On the battery toward the top of one side you will see two red lines. Fill each so the acid is between those two red lines.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #23

yes thank you guys.going to get my 20 day plate today then add a bit to the red like i think 6 cells has a hose an one bottle of acid ,should be easy ,just a first for me ,my others had acid already ,i would think an uppgrade on that like 10ah or higher would be better ,but not 75.00 battery either ,the 30 to $40.00 range batterys allways worked ok for me ,just trikle them once a month or more ,tomorrow i will put it together if nothing gets in the way .front tire an shock seems to need another guy for those 2 things,but after watching the videos looks like fun mabey 2 hours ,a bit more for the fluids though

Old 06-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #24

good day

so got the bike put together ,today ? is the oil most guys seem to say quart does it ,but with mine 1 1/4th of quart was to the line with bike up right ,took about 3 hours takeing our time ,had to adjust the chain slack it ,need to adjust the rear brake is to high ,but nice not bad got it up to about 35mph says 2,5 miles ,then cleaned it ,going to keep it the way its seen in the pictures for now,the foot pegs i got
wont work so took out the rubbers was easy,i wont better pegs if anyone find some that work without major mods ,louder then i thought stock ,hard to say if the carb was ok ,i think i am going to just get the mikuni an a set of jets ,fun bike ,will take my next ride tomorrow kinda beat from assembley an not much sleep last night,but when people say its great bike for the money when i make my video ,i will talk about value for ones buck ,it is very high off the ground though even for a tall guy, now once on the bike feels great ,i can see why some think its about inch to high ,i wonder if that has to do with the honda thingi think upgrading the carb will also be good for the starter too,changing the tube fuse box style 15 amp,though i note they send 2 fuses an some extra plastics bolts

will also check the spokes make sure they are good ,as well as the wheels true,the renthal soft grips should help too ,comeing next week the air box hose was not in the right place had to adjust it ,did the air box mod too though

Old 06-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #25

That sure is purty
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #26

thank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
That sure is purty
thank you i like it ,when i think about the money i spent on my vstrom dl 650 an dl 1000 ,i think why did i spend so much but that was 10 years ago when china bikes were not doing so well yet ,i think about how they need to be tinkered with too an my 1000 had handle bar weights that kept falling out was a pain ,but cost so much more,thinking for sec i could buy like 15 of these for the price of those 2 with the extras on those bikes i had over 11k in 1000 an 7500 in the 650,so no more new jap bikes for me,unless i win the lotto thanks jerry hawk,will do a video in a few weeks

Old 06-15-2018, 04:11 AM   #27

I will still spend silly money on a proper big bike, but I do agree that the newer China bikes offer a decent affordable alternative for basic 2 wheel transportation.

To me, they compliment one another with their very different demeanors and price points. They both put a huge smile on my face for very very different reasons, and each one can do the things that the other cannot.

My VFR is not a very practical city bike or commuter. A big 1200cc V4 making just shy of 200hp in a 560lb sport touring bike with big wide sport tires and engineered fairings that make this bike dead stable at well past legal highway speed limits isn't the best option for a run to the post office or a short ride to work. It's also not exactly the best bike to try and take down any sort of dirt or gravel road. Being a flagship Honda motorcycle though, it is designed to last for a very long time. There are examples of this bike out there with almost 200,000 miles and still going strong. Maintenance intervals are very far apart as well, making it actually a very affordable bike to own long term, minus tire and fuel costs at least.

What the Hawk offers me is that it is great at everything the VFR isn't. Small and light, easy to toss around, capable of the less beaten path, parts are stupid cheap both in repair and in upgrading. It's the perfect bike for a quick run to anywhere around town, and the fuel economy makes it a great commuter bike. It has an engine designed to handle abuse, and maintenance is quick, cheap, and simple to perform. The fact that for the cost of just one front tire on my VFR I can buy both tires for a hawk, and new tubes, and probably still have money left over is also very appealing. Or that I can replace the entire brake system for just the cost of ONE front rotor on the VFR - again likely with money left over. Also something worth noting.

I think the greatest thing about the Hawk is that you can ride it until it explodes, and then completely rebuild it for a couple hundred bucks, then do it all over again. It's hard to beat the price point and operating costs for a bike that does everything you need a bike to be able to do except cross country touring.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk 229cc View Post
so got the bike put together ,today ? is the oil most guys seem to say quart does it ,but with mine 1 1/4th of quart was to the line with bike up right ,took about 3 hours takeing our time ,had to adjust the chain slack it ,need to adjust the rear brake is to high ,but nice not bad got it up to about 35mph says 2,5 miles ,then cleaned it ,going to keep it the way its seen in the pictures for now,the foot pegs i got
wont work so took out the rubbers was easy,i wont better pegs if anyone find some that work without major mods ,louder then i thought stock ,hard to say if the carb was ok ,i think i am going to just get the mikuni an a set of jets ,fun bike ,will take my next ride tomorrow kinda beat from assembley an not much sleep last night,but when people say its great bike for the money when i make my video ,i will talk about value for ones buck ,it is very high off the ground though even for a tall guy, now once on the bike feels great ,i can see why some think its about inch to high ,i wonder if that has to do with the honda thingi think upgrading the carb will also be good for the starter too,changing the tube fuse box style 15 amp,though i note they send 2 fuses an some extra plastics bolts

will also check the spokes make sure they are good ,as well as the wheels true,the renthal soft grips should help too ,comeing next week the air box hose was not in the right place had to adjust it ,did the air box mod too though
I did notice in your pictures that your fork tubes are still in the shipping position. They need to be slid up flush with the triple trees. Although i assume you know that......but just pointing out the obvious in the pictures. Bike looks great by the way!!!!!

Old 06-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #29

Beautiful bike! Thanks for the pics.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1029 View Post
I did notice in your pictures that your fork tubes are still in the shipping position. They need to be slid up flush with the triple trees. Although i assume you know that......but just pointing out the obvious in the pictures. Bike looks great by the way!!!!!
Good catch. I was temporarily blinded by the shiny red bike. Defiantly want to correct that before you start riding.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel