Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvl8rida View Post
my bike took a couple days to burn off the factory paint smell off the engine.
other than that, I would say to buy an aftermarket carb that allows you to adjust it properly.
Thanks for the idea! Any recommendations on a place to get parts that will actually fit? I am having a hard time finding anything specifically for this bike.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrice89 View Post
Thanks for the idea! Any recommendations on a place to get parts that will actually fit? I am having a hard time finding anything specifically for this bike.
Anything engine related you can use the Hawk tuning guides for as it is the same motor. They come jetted very lean from the factory and need some tuning to run properly. There are a lot of guides and info on how to do this, and it is VERY easy. Also, as mentioned in this thread, the valve adjustments are also important to do, and also very easy. Watch the videos posted in this thread and do a bit of reading on Hawk carb setups/tuning, and you should be fine. It is all easily doable for even a novice, and a great way to learn. If you are still unsure, find a buddy or a relative that is familiar with this kind of work so they can help you/show you how it is done. You got this!
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Hey all,

I just recently received my Magician 250 (my first bike) from TxPowersports. So far, the bike looks great though I only have 6 miles on it. The reason I am posting though is I am having issues keeping it running. I have been lurking in these threads for the past few days looking for advice on how to rectify this issue.

I have tried to adjust the idle screw. While it keeps it from dying it also smells like something is overheating/burning, as well as revving extremely high (at least it sounds like it, hard to say for sure without an RPM gauge). Part of the issue is that this is my first bike so I know 0 about the maintenance or common issues. The other part of my issue is there is NOWHERE that will even take a look at my bike in Austin, TX.

I'm hoping it is just something small I am missing. Any advice that a novice would be able to follow would be greatly appreciated!
Please be aware there are TWO idle adjustment screws. One, (on the side of the carburetor) controls the idle speed. The other one (under the rear float bowl/carb interface) controls the idle fuel mixture jet. There are videos by Motocheez (and others) on getting to that idle mixture screw....ARH

Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #19

When I first got my Magician I couldn't get it too stay running either. I kept fighting with the carburetor thinking that was the problem but to no avail. One day I finally took everyone's advice and adjusted the valves and it ran perfectly after that. They were so ungodly tight I couldn't believe it ran at all. So seriously adjust your valves. Your carburetor is probably fine if you have the mixture screw set out about 1.5 turns. Adjust your valves. If it doesn't sound like a sewing machine then it isn't right.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #20

bottom mixture screw out 1.5 to 2 turns.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 05-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #21

Thumbs Up

Thanks all! I had a friend come over and help me with adjusting the idle screw. It seems like it is running better now! I am probably still going to do the valve adjustment, but later.

I am going to try and post a video of my Magician running, so you all can hear it.

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Thanks all! I had a friend come over and help me with adjusting the idle screw. It seems like it is running better now! I am probably still going to do the valve adjustment, but later.

I am going to try and post a video of my Magician running, so you all can hear it.

Thanks!
You're welcome. There is a lot of information on this site to help you with your motor-cycle. Your engine is the same as the one in the Hawk, so any info on the one will work on the other, including things you might not think of. Such as clutch adjustment, shift levers, carburetors, valve adjustment, and so forth...ARH

Old 05-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
shift levers,
The Magician uses a different style of shifter setup from the Hawk. It's a stud mount pivot on the peg assembly with a linkage to a shifter arm on the motor.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124