Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposur View Post
Is it a lot easier to weld with the wire feed as opposed to stick welding?
You wouldn't believe how easy; point and shoot. Arc welding is an art on a couple of levels, because you not only scratch-start, but the rod is being consumed as you move, which moves your hand closer to the work as you travel (as you well know). Wire feed can be held at a constant distance from the work and it will easily weld out of position.

I recommend against flux core only. Get a true MIG that will accept shielding gas and then the choice is yours, in terms of using gas or flux core. I also recommend a welder with infinite voltage control, rather than four, five or six settings. My voltage control goes from 1-10, and I spend most of my time between either 2-3 or 3-4 on the dial. the finite control is very useful, whereas limited controls might either not give the penetration you need or might burn right through (which is quite frustrating).

I bought a Miller 175 about 10 years ago, but since then, Eastwood has come out with a decent MIG welder that has infinite voltage control for cheap. If you want a 120VAC machine, check out http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html The price is certainly right. I have a friend with that welder, and I like it just fine for small jobs. It uses Tweco consumables, so parts are easy to find.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Torch positive , Argon sheilding gas , Teflon liner...
The other way is with a spool gun. No need to worry about keeping the hose straight, since it will only be providing gas.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #18

I picked up a Harbor Freight 170 240 mig that has a gas provision. It was when they were having a sidewalk sale so it could have been a return or an overstock. Anyway I got it for $75. They told me I had 5 days to return so test it. I called my dad over who is a retired welder that worked for Pratt & Whitney welding jet engines so he knows enough about welding. He could not believe how good it welded, especially for $75. He said this is perfect for a homeowner but you can't weld a battleship with it.

If you plan on using it everyday buy a good one. Hobart, Miller, Lincoln otherwise HF is good.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #19

Flux core wire feed and MIG are often used to describe the same machine/process but they're very different. MIG, metal insert gas, uses no flux material using a gas as the shielding material and makes a cleaner weld. Different gasses have different uses and results. Flux core wire feed is easier than arc but still leaves the flux that has to be cleaned off. I believe flux core wire will generally give more penetration than MIG with the same power, also making it harder to weld thin stuff than with MIG.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:42 AM   #20

Weld, I use Flux c just because I'm a simple kind of man. Easy for cheap bastards.

Yes more options with digital control, wise choice if economical. More brand choices out now vs then . ESAB brand has really exploded on to the market (explosion?bad word choice?)
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
I picked up a Harbor Freight 170 240 mig that has a gas provision. It was when they were having a sidewalk sale so it could have been a return or an overstock. Anyway I got it for $75. They told me I had 5 days to return so test it. I called my dad over who is a retired welder that worked for Pratt & Whitney welding jet engines so he knows enough about welding. He could not believe how good it welded, especially for $75. He said this is perfect for a homeowner but you can't weld a battleship with it.

If you plan on using it everyday buy a good one. Hobart, Miller, Lincoln otherwise HF is good.
I have the little cheapo 90 amp that HFT sells. I got a handful of HFT coupons one birthday so I got it, the cart and auto-darkening helmet for about 20.00 out of pocket.
I'm no welder and this thing is for super-light duty, plus it's just got a switch for adjusting the juice (no knob) but I can honestly say that I've been able to stick together everything I've tried. Can't beat it for the price for how little I weld. It has yet to overheat on me but I'm no speed demon.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Weld, I use Flux c just because I'm a simple kind of man. Easy for cheap bastards.

Yes more options with digital control, wise choice if economical. More brand choices out now vs then . ESAB brand has really exploded on to the market (explosion?bad word choice?)
Flux core certainly has its place, namely windy conditions. Shielding gas is excellent for providing clean welds with little smoke.

I'm not saying break the bank and buy a digital machine; I'm saying choose one with a voltage control that is more like a volume knob. Again, the Eastwood product is quite economical and capable. Hard to beat those features at $279.99.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:32 PM   #23

Hey Weld funny story I was patching my snow plow with a spool of flux core and the welds were coming out like crap. My dad stopped by to take a look and he said that the monster fan I set up blowing the smoke from my face was also blowing away my shielding gas from the flux. I thought i was being smart and safe but I was ruining my weld. If you were there you would have been shaking your head like my dad. Those little jewels of information would take a rookie welder like me countless hours to figure out but pros like you and my dad just look and tell immediately what is wrong.

As far as duty cycle, I spend an hour of prep for 5 minutes of welding which is why my dad said you can't weld a battleship with it, but for me it's perfect. I took a TIG welding class and oh boy was that fun. Problem is you cant get a decent TIG for 75 bucks.... and I kinda cheap. TIG is pretty but man it is HOT I had the glove smoking and you don't notice until your pointer finger is roasting.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:30 PM   #24

I got the cheap HF 90 amp welder a number of years ago to weld in some patch panels on a vw bug project but only after lots of practice with different settings etc. Also switched to different/better wire than the HF stuff. http://www.amazon.com/BA71TGS-030-In...e+welding+wire

Much better results, less spatter.

Rojo

Old 05-31-2016, 11:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Flux core certainly has its place, namely windy conditions. Shielding gas is excellent for providing clean welds with little smoke.

I'm not saying break the bank and buy a digital machine; I'm saying choose one with a voltage control that is more like a volume knob. Again, the Eastwood product is quite economical and capable. Hard to beat those features at $279.99.
Sounds great, do you have the link. Would like to see how far they come since 2004. As for me I'm stuck with mine unless I need to change careers and upgrade .
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #26

OP, do you find any performance gains after killing the cat?

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 06-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
RonB conducted cat surgery on his Hawk. He didnt have it long but I think he did put some miles on it afterwards - perhaps enough to tell a difference.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo_grande View Post
I got the cheap HF 90 amp welder a number of years ago to weld in some patch panels on a vw bug project but only after lots of practice with different settings etc. Also switched to different/better wire than the HF stuff. http://www.amazon.com/BA71TGS-030-In...e+welding+wire

Much better results, less spatter.

Rojo
I used a spiffy little 120VAC Cebora (Italian) MIG welder to build my first utility trailer, about 15 years ago. The duty cycle was pathetic, so I installed a fan and drilled a bunch of holes in the rear cover so it could breathe. I then installed a better quality ground cable and clamp, to replace the shoestring that came from the factory. Both mods helped to increase the duty cycle dramatically, but it would still sputter and fail under heavy use.

It was only useful within a small range of metal thickness, so I set my sights on a Miller; haven't looked back since.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Sounds great, do you have the link. Would like to see how far they come since 2004. As for me I'm stuck with mine unless I need to change careers and upgrade .
http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html

Old 06-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
This quickly degenerated into a welding thread. That's probably on me.

Not that this is apples to apples, but I removed a cat on a 50cc scooter, changed the jetting to suit and added a pod air filter. The results were such that I could travel at about 40mph on level grade, whereas before the mods the best I could get was 30mph.