Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
About 7 years ago I installed an FMF Universal Spark Arrestor on my Zongshen Sierra 200. This silencer meets U.S.F.S. requirements for sound levels, and a spark arrestor. It increased the power output from the engine, and dropped a lot of weight from my motorcycle. It is well built, and easy to repack. I am very glad I installed it.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=7196

any idea what specific model of it you used, or could be used on the hawk?

Old 04-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #17

I installed the FMF Universal Spark Arrestor. It includes a midpipe constructed of stainless steel.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...FUZrfgodIzwFYw

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #18

header pipe first, then muffler. better to get a free flowing header pipe (honda clone should be easy to get, sth that will fit a CR230 should fit?) then, using a long concrete drill bit drill the centre of the stock muffler to become free flowing. esay and not too loud.

next step in sound and performance: check out the nitrohead products:
http://japan.webike.net/bm/brd/Slip-...eads/1003/510/

3 FTR223 systems:
http://japan.webike.net/ps/#!search&....b=510&p.m=154

Old 04-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
any idea what specific model of it you used, or could be used on the hawk?

I have the Hawk and bought the FMF turbine core 2 universal and it looks like it's not going to be an easy install...

Old 04-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I installed the FMF Universal Spark Arrestor. It includes a midpipe constructed of stainless steel.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...FUZrfgodIzwFYw

Do you think that one of these would be good for a tt250 and how much hp do you think it would add I am looking for ways to get 20hp out of my zongshen but do not want to do anything that will dramatically reduce life of engine

Old 04-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I have the Hawk and bought the FMF turbine core 2 universal and it looks like it's not going to be an easy install...
Thanks for the report.

I have to say I am not surprised. The Honda clone bikes tend to have a serpentine midpipe. Therefore, you will have to bend the stainless steel midpipe which in included with the FMF silencer. The installation of the FMF silencer was very simple for my Zongshen Sierra 200, which had a Yamaha clone engine.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Pics? Can we see where your midpipe exits? Where the joint between the muffler and midpipe is? I know my X-moto Hondoid was a pain but it had a messed up pipe from the git-go. There have been many Hondoids here who have run this in the past. Some Lifans bolted right on.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman77 View Post
Do you think that one of these would be good for a tt250 and how much hp do you think it would add I am looking for ways to get 20hp out of my zongshen but do not want to do anything that will dramatically reduce life of engine
I can't guarantee 20HP like the Qlink because I don't think anyone has dyno'd a Hondoid before and after mods. I can tell you though, with a proper breather (if the bikes stock one is junk and needs replacing), a properly jetted carb, valves adjusted correctly, a good spark plug and a free breathing exhaust, you will definitely notice a difference in both powerband and throttle response. Both my X-moto and Qlink came alive with these mods....but make no mistake, just like building any engine, you can't just do one thing and not the other stuff. The flow has to be adjusted and modded evenly from intake to the end of the exhaust to work properly.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #24

Thumbs Up

just a guess, my two cents is that not a whole lot is going to improve on the hawk motor unless you get someone who knows what he is doing to get into the head with a die grinder and clean up those ports as it appears to me that those little valves are the current choke point(st least on the Hawk).

But the question remains, how fast do you want to spin that motor? I'm a 'torque' guy myself for offroad trailing, you road guys might be more inclined to want that hp/torque tradeoff..for high speed perf.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
just a guess, my two cents is that not a whole lot is going to improve on the hawk motor unless you get someone who knows what he is doing to get into the head with a die grinder and clean up those ports as it appears to me that those little valves are the current choke point(st least on the Hawk).

But the question remains, how fast do you want to spin that motor? I'm a 'torque' guy myself for offroad trailing, you road guys might be more inclined to want that hp/torque tradeoff..for high speed perf.
Not just that SeerAtlas but like with any pushrod motor, they're basically built for torque and longevity, and cammed as such along with smaller porting, unlike an OHC motor that can scream to beat the band. Same reason you can "street build" a Harley to rip the asphalt up from idle but they're pretty ineffective above 6500 rpms compared to an OHC crotch rocket. As you know, it's all about building a motor for what it's made for.

The thing with the CG motor though is the pushrods are so dang short, I'm not sure how much you lose in the rocker/pushrod angle like a longer pushrod motor. I may have to tinker with one of these someday. Do some port work and send a cam off to a grinder..... With how these come cammed, it would probably be a giant waste of metal and time doing much porting, other than basic clean up.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #26

Which FMF Universal Spark Arrestor are you buying for the Hawk, the 1 1/4" ID or the 1 1/8"?

Is there an aftermarket header pipe that fits the Hawk that will bolt up to the FMF universal pipe.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #27

I suggest the 1 and 1/4" pipe for anything over 200cc

I have one I'm about to 'finish' putting on the Mrs. Bashan 197cc and it fits really snug on the stock header pipe

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #28

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Not just that SeerAtlas but like with any pushrod motor, they're basically built for torque and longevity, and cammed as such along with smaller porting, unlike an OHC motor that can scream to beat the band. Same reason you can "street build" a Harley to rip the asphalt up from idle but they're pretty ineffective above 6500 rpms compared to an OHC crotch rocket. As you know, it's all about building a motor for what it's made for.

The thing with the CG motor though is the pushrods are so dang short, I'm not sure how much you lose in the rocker/pushrod angle like a longer pushrod motor. I may have to tinker with one of these someday. Do some port work and send a cam off to a grinder..... With how these come cammed, it would probably be a giant waste of metal and time doing much porting, other than basic clean up.
clean up is what i had in mind any hotter cam is likely to trash the low end ooomph which is what i want in a trailie.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I can't guarantee 20HP like the Qlink because I don't think anyone has dyno'd a Hondoid before and after mods. I can tell you though, with a proper breather (if the bikes stock one is junk and needs replacing), a properly jetted carb, valves adjusted correctly, a good spark plug and a free breathing exhaust, you will definitely notice a difference in both powerband and throttle response. Both my X-moto and Qlink came alive with these mods....but make no mistake, just like building any engine, you can't just do one thing and not the other stuff. The flow has to be adjusted and modded evenly from intake to the end of the exhaust to work properly.
Thanks after I get the tt250 and break it in I am sure there will be a thread just for mods on it and I will be following very close just want a few more hp to make it that kind of a party

Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #30

This is the best picture I have at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0316161421.jpg (97.9 KB, 368 views)