Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
May just be me, but both videos look to be faked.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 08-26-2007, 12:12 AM   #17

I just picked up an HJC full face helmet, it also has the flip up chin(HJC CL Max). (do you know the kind?) I've never heard of HJC but do like the helmet. The visors are replaceable and have nearly perfect optics. I like my thick leather jacket, but I just got a Joe Rocket jacket for really hot days. If I go to the store for smokes on a sunday morning I'll still wear my boots. I surfed ride 2 die when I was taking my cycle course. I still have some pics to remind me not to be cool on the road. Sometimes I feel kind of stupid walking though a grocery store looking like Jet Fighter pilot, but if something happens on the way home the chances of living through it are slightly better for the gear, and rehab is much shorter. :wink:

The more I think about it, I am a test pilot. A 150cc Xingyue Easy isn't a proven, tried and true vehicle to start with. On top of that I'm a beginner mechanic, and i've touched almost everything on my bike. . Of course that's just me, I'm way too new to tell anyone how to do anything. I will get a pic of me, on my bike, into my gallery. I wanted to do that a while ago anyway. N2r.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:43 AM   #18

Ya I feel a bit weird also in the grocery store.

I call my jacket my 'Anime outfit' because the extra padding in the shoulders and such makes me feel like I look a bit like those futuristic cartoon characters. But it's worth it, plus it's not bad getting noticed for a good reason if you think about it. Just another thing to get used to.

It's a 'First Gear Jaunt' jacket, a textile with extra thick 'ballistic nylon' in the critical areas. It's like a '3 season' style riding jacket with removable liner. Leather is better, but it's more expensive and harder to take care of, and my thing is suppose to be fully water proof. I added a extra back protection pad to it.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/firstgear/jaunt-jacket/

HJC is suppose to be pretty good mid-range helmets from what I gather. They are one of the more popular helmet makers in the USA. I don't know a lot about helmets, but I have a hjc also. I like the fixed full-face helmets rather then flip-ups, but if I needed glasses for driving I'd probably go with the flip-up.

With these $1K bikes probably most people will end up spending as much as, or more for their riding outfit then their actual bike.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
"Riding a bike is safe right? "

No it's not. It's very dangerous and should be taken seriously.

SNIP!...................................

Oh, and for something funny:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Corona_...r_Than_Leather

Nate.... That was an excellent post! I'm so glad to see others speaking out on motorcycle safety! I feel like I'm being a Nazi about it sometimes, but I'm trying to get people to understand just how badly they can be hurt and how important it is to take every step you can to minimize injuries when you wreck.

As for a small bike being safer than a large bike... I disagree with that. In the hands of an expeirienced rider a bike with some hp is safer. There are times when the ONLY thing that's going to save your bacon is the ability to accelerate out of the way. For someone who is learning to ride, maybe a small bike is the way to go unti they learn throttle (and self) control. I do feel that travelling in traffic that exceeds 80% or so of the bike's capability is asking for trouble.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #20

I understand exactly what your saying.

My thoughts on it is that with a smaller bike a person new to motorcycles is less likely to be scared or intimidated by it.

It's all about the mental stuff. Survival Reactions cause accidents and if a person is more comfortable with how they are able to lift a bike or they don't have to worry about gunning it then it would be easier to overcome that mental block and do the right things.

For example going around the corner to fast.. the correct thing to do is usually to roll up on the throttle and lean your body into the turn.. both of which encourage the bike to go in tighter.

If you had a hard time keep the thing upright in your driveway and/or you've scared yourself by giving it to much gas and almost loosing control at a stop sign or in a parking lot then leaning the bike over and giving it a bit more throttle is going to be the _last_ thing you'll do. More then likely you'll stand the bike up and hit the rear brake and cause a crash that would of otherwise been avoided.

I know that a new rider can pick up a harley and run down the highway after going back and forth in a parking lot a few times.. or that a person can start off with a 600cc crotch rocket and more-then-likely successfully drive it around town on their first time out... and I know that larger bikes are not inherently more dangerous then smaller bikes.. but I think the lack of way-to-much power and/or weight will help out with gaining riding skills faster and giving the person more confidence earlier on. Both of which will help quite a bit.

Also the riding gear will help. I figure that it's similar to what happens with drivers and seatbelts... A driver with a seatbelt tends to drive better then when that same driver does not wear a seatbelt. It's totally a mental thing. So that if you take the time and put the effort into taking care of yourself then that will help you avoid crashes in the first place. That by relieving myself of some of the scared-ness of dumping my bike I can concentrate more on the actual riding.

Also I still want one of these dual-sports...

The thing I like a lot about these things is that since they are more-or-less off-road capable you can take them into places and have fun on them. Were as with a street motorcycle you always need to be sorta paranoid and rarely get a chance to really enjoy it's performance.

It's not like you get much chance to do donuts in the dirt or find little jumps and trails and such when your stuck in traffic. Dirt tracks are always funner then doing 35 on your way to a grocery store or to drop off a movie.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #21

I have an HJC dirt helmet and a Fulmer streethelmet and than a cheap Zeus modular flip face.

I also agree on the faked video post. It looks animated.

Allen