Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #16

Spud...

What I'm going to do right now is hook back up the battery, and see when I turn the key on start the bike maybe see if the Back Rear Light lights up when I put the break ok. If this only works when I have the lights on either Low or High, then I may have to re wire something.

What I want is, I want to beable to turn the lights off when I don't need, but have the back rear light working all the time and the blinkers. I am trying to get this bike Road legal so I can drive it to work on those nice days..

Old 03-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #17

Spud

I think you said something about this switch is illuminated only, so its always on?

So I have the blinkers in the right area that I want them, just need to wire them up correctly.

I also have the horn installed, bottom area and at the front, I just need to install the Male connectors on them, I believe you said it was the Dark Green and Light Green wires, also they already have the female connectors on them. The horn also has this little screw, not to sure what this is for. Ground wire hooks up to it, do I really need it if I have the two connectors connected to the horn.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #18

Also, does it really matter if I switch the blinkers around. Is there actually a difference in the front left/right and the rear, left/right blinkers? I have the same colors on each side. They just had different connectors to attach to the bike.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #19

As in the following wiring diagram, I suspect the grey wire supplies power to the turn signal switch. The grey wire travels from the flasher relay to the turn signal switch. The other wire of the flasher relay is connected to a 12V power source. It is best if this power source comes form the ignition switch, so the turn signal will not operate, unless the ignition switch is activated.

The orange wire connects to both the front and rear turn signals on the left side. Each of those turn signals must also be connected to a ground wire, or the bike's frame.

The light blue wire connects to both the front and rear turn signals on the right side. Each of those turn signals must also be connected to a ground wire, or the bike's frame.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
...I also have the horn installed, bottom area and at the front, I just need to install the Male connectors on them, I believe you said it was the Dark Green and Light Green wires, also they already have the female connectors on them. The horn also has this little screw, not to sure what this is for. Ground wire hooks up to it, do I really need it if I have the two connectors connected to the horn.
The small screw on the horn can be used to adjust the pitch of the horn. It is not an electrical connection. Use the two spade connectors of the horn for the electrical connections.

As in the following diagram, the horn button is connected to two wires. The horn button must receive power from one of the wires, either directly from the battery, or from the ignition switch. The other wire of the horn button travels from the horn button to either of the spade connectors on the horn. The other spade connector on the horn is connected either to a ground wire, or the bike's frame.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Also, does it really matter if I switch the blinkers around. Is there actually a difference in the front left/right and the rear, left/right blinkers? I have the same colors on each side. They just had different connectors to attach to the bike.
No, it does not matter if you switch the blinkers. All of the blinkers operate in the same manner. However, the blinkers on the left side of the bike should be connected to the orange wire coming from the turn signal switch. The blinkers on the right side of the bike should be connected to the light blue coming wire from the turn signal switch.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #22

Ok I understand alot better now with the pictures.

Thanks Spud,

Just to go back about the horn. My switch actually has a Green and Light Green wire with the female connectors already mounted. All I have to do is plug them into the Horn a bought, and that part of the wiring is complete right?

In the Diagram about the Horn you shows that the Green is going to ground, but I would have to make sure that out of the 9 wires I have in my Switch Adaptor that the green wire is connected to one of the ground wires at the front of my bike right?

Then that will be completed.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #23

Spud

About my switch if you know about it, does this switch have a Shut off button to shut down the lights if I needed too. For example, I just put the Battery in my bike. My bikes Rear and Front Lights are wired directly to the battery. This is a bad thing, I'm trying to figure out what wire I need to change so I can wire it in the Ignition switch.... So when I have the bike off and battery hooked up, I turn my old light switch to the Low Beam and my Rear Light turns on, and also my Low Beams as well. When I hit the Back Breaks, the Rear light turns on. So how do I fix this so it works properly through the ignition, what wires need to be hooked up.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Thanks Spud,

Just to go back about the horn. My switch actually has a Green and Light Green wire with the female connectors already mounted. All I have to do is plug them into the Horn a bought, and that part of the wiring is complete right?

In the Diagram about the Horn you shows that the Green is going to ground, but I would have to make sure that out of the 9 wires I have in my Switch Adaptor that the green wire is connected to one of the ground wires at the front of my bike right?

Then that will be completed.
Follow the light green and dark green wires back to your switch. If one of the wires is connected to an earth ground, and the other wire is connected to the horn switch, you are correct.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-17-2016, 01:10 AM   #25

Quote:
About my switch if you know about it, does this switch have a Shut off button to shut down the lights if I needed too. For example, I just put the Battery in my bike. My bikes Rear and Front Lights are wired directly to the battery. This is a bad thing, I'm trying to figure out what wire I need to change so I can wire it in the Ignition switch.... So when I have the bike off and battery hooked up, I turn my old light switch to the Low Beam and my Rear Light turns on, and also my Low Beams as well. When I hit the Back Breaks, the Rear light turns on. So how do I fix this so it works properly through the ignition, what wires need to be hooked up.
I didn't see an 'off' switch for you headlight. If you see one, post a photo of it.

Is the wiring diagram in post #6 accurate for your bike? If so, you should connect the black wire to provide power for both your headlight and tail light.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #26

Yes #6 is pretty much exactly it. Its just that if I wire it up, is it going to do this. When I turn the bike on with the ignition switch my rear light and front light will turn on automatic. but I'm running that new LED light that has a fan in it. I would love the option to turn the head light off during the day time so it doesn't waste power etc but still keep my rear light on and blinkers etc to follow the road rules.. what should I do just wire it up so it all turns on and leave it on till I shut off the ignition. Stupid switch has no Light Power Off.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #27

Yes, get power from the ignition switch and both lights will turn on when you activate the key. This is the DOT requirement in the United States, and will make the bike much safer to ride on the street. Why would you want to decrease your safety by riding without a headlight?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Why would you want to decrease your safety by riding without a headlight?
To quietly sneak out of the house without your wife knowing, of course.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #29

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-17-2016, 11:31 PM   #30

Spud, Ive been Spicing the wires and doing it slowly.

Ok so I went to my local bike shop and explained a few things to him, I told him what you said etc, he had a suggestion about my other switch, if I leave my other switch intacked and he told me to wire the High and Low beam wires together on the switch that has a SHUT OFF, this will make me allow me to shut off the lights when the right switch. Right now I did

Blue/White Wire
Dark Blue
White

I'm not to sure where to hook in with the Grey
Also where do I hook in with the Light Blue, organge, and also the Yellow and Black Wire, where do I tap into those?

Thanks SPud, I'm almost done.
I DID A TEST, and when I turn the Ignition on and then turn my light on my lights work and tail light work, when I leave them on and turn the ignition off they go off.. so it works..