Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
That is awesome. Going to send those pics to my buddy. He lives about 2 miles down a gravel road.

lol... yeah my buddies and i are an odd group! my cm will be similar but not as stripped. but will mount knobs as i got a source. guy i know races dirt and runs 2 races and on new tires and changes em. so... i got an endless source of maxxis knobs for $15 a piece! i run em oh ktm and klr, and plan on using em on dtf200 as well. the cm has an 18" front so can use em there too, but the 16" rear may be a problem.

i plan on removing the stock pipes so i don't ruin em. plan is to make up a set of high mount duals made up with some tractor mufflers from tractor supply and strip off all extra weight. think i will need some sort of skid plate to or something to protect to oem oil cooler right behind front tire.

i have a vision for the cm, mini stalk led blinkers and remove all crap on rear in favor of small led tail light but keep engine stock with stock air box as well. will be very similar to the kz above. the idea is to have fun on a motorcycle. expensive and shiney mean nothing to me. small light bikes are where it's at. it will get dirty and dinged up, but thats how i like to ride. it's fun to me... and thats what motorcycling is all about.

i thought about selling/trading the cm for a cb350 to do this too cuz the cm maybe rare so i would rather not beat it up. but it was dads last bike so i can't get rid of it. long as i am having fun with it i know he would be ok with me changing it up and flogging it. so it will be.......

Old 12-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #17

Those mufflers and the crossover pipe are very hard to get. Alot of the parts are NLA. He has a parts bike.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpar1220 View Post
...but was so cold i never left house, instead i am trying out a new version of linux on an old pc to see how i like it.
Mint? Let us know how you like it. I wanna try the same thing.

I'm loving the tire choice on your buddy's KZ.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Mint? Let us know how you like it. I wanna try the same thing.

I'm loving the tire choice on your buddy's KZ.
i am currently running on linux, the version is "lucid puppy". i chose that one this time as it is NOT a full install. no need to go thru the process of formatting hd or partitioning and doing dual boot.

this one is a smaller install and loads/runs in memory instead of on hd. download to cd, then change boot seq to boot cd first and it will install and run. i thought since it runs in memory that it would be slow but it is very fast. it found my wireless network and i connected quickly. also installed printer and printed a test page with no issue. it's only been one day but so far so good.linux site also said can use thumb drive as well to save settings so next time you boot up it won't take as long. i just found an old thumb drive so need to try it.

nuther good thing is if i don't like it i reboot and change boot seq back to hd and remove disc and old system runs just like before. i like the idea of not doing the full install... this way i can see if i like it or not before finding a full version to replace my current op system.

we shall see...

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%...%20Release.htm

Old 12-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #20

I understand changing the boot sequence to the optical drive, but how do you get it to boot from a thumb drive?

Have you tried Mint? That's what I have my eye on.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #21

Quote:
I understand changing the boot sequence to the optical drive, but how do you get it to boot from a thumb drive?

Have you tried Mint? That's what I have my eye on.
i have not tried mint yet, that would be a full install. i kinda just wanted to see what it looked like and how it worked. i am actually back on windows right now just to verify this op system wasn't affected. it wasn't.

i certainly don't have it figured out but assumed you could select the usb drive same as any other in boot sequence to boot however you wanted. or maybe the thumb drive is to copy some files to to make start up easier after you get the system installed.

for example... first time you install system you will have to make wireless/wired internet selection and pasword. also select your printer from drop down list and install. maybe this data is copied to that drive so you don't have to keep entering that data every start up.

or maybe it installs the whole thing on the thumb drive? i have not gotten that far into it yet so i really can't say. but i like the format of the linux system, it is very similar to windows so i was able to navigate very well right away. and everything was lightning fast!

i may install linux mint cinnamon on my old laptop to see how that goes. i have that copied to cd already to was to skeered to follow thru as nothing wrong with my newer laptop. now that i have an older one... i can experiment. but i did install the smaller/temporary puppy version on both laptops and desk top with zero issues.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #22

and now i am back on linux.. this time it remembered some settings and booted faster, and during start up it said next time will be faster. the whole process of restarting from windows, change boot seq and strating up puppy took less time than typing this message.

oh, and i noticed in boot seq menu that i had a "usb memory" option. i assume that is the selection you would make if you had the system copied to thumb.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #23

Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing a "usb memory" boot option in any BIOS I've messed with, but that might be a more recent development. Don't get too used to Puppy, since it's UNIX-based. UNIX is apparently only good to 2038.

That was a major thread drift. Any progress on the bike?

Old 12-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #24

Thread drift? We never have 'thread drift' at China Riders!

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing a "usb memory" boot option in any BIOS I've messed with, but that might be a more recent development. Don't get too used to Puppy, since it's UNIX-based. UNIX is apparently only good to 2038.

That was a major thread drift. Any progress on the bike?
i have a front master cyl rebuild kit on order, should be here by fri. i was gonna head out to barn today before work to remove carbs and front brake in prep to take to friends shop fri as i am burnin my last vac day of year. but... was to dang cold to get out there today. hopefully i can get out there tomorrow or thurs to get that stuff ready.

fri the carbs are gettin the ultra sonic treatment, while they are soaking the front master will get rebuilt. thats actually the biggest things it needs besides a valve check... but thats easy too. after that it will just be changing it up some...

Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #26

All this talk of ultrasonic cleaners has me convinced. If I get some ca$h for Christmas, I'm gonna grab one from HF.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #27

Quote:
All this talk of ultrasonic cleaners has me convinced. If I get some ca$h for Christmas, I'm gonna grab one from HF.
I bought one about a month ago. It was on sale, and I also used a 25 percent off coupon.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #28

how much does a hf unit cost? my buddies cost him round $2,000! heck... i didn't know hf carried em.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #29

The HF units are around fifty bucks w/o the coupon. They are fairly small, you have to rotate the Keihen carb bodies to get them completely cleaned. Which is about the only drawback I can think of. And don't quote me on the price, I've had mine a couple years now.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #30

Currently on sale for $82.99, and then you can apply a 25% discount coupon = $62.24.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html