Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #16

Upon closer examination of even the picture that I put up here, it looks like there is a crack in the lens. You can see it dripping water out.

If water is dripping out, certainly when it rains, water would drip in. Maybe these gauges were waterproof. But the crack let water in. That’s the theory I’m going to go with. I have no idea when this crack happened.

I think when I went to turn the handlebars to put it up on the rack, it sloshed all the water up onto live wires.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #17

You might be onto something there. I was trying to pull out the plug on that instrument panel yesterday it appears sealed tight with epoxy. There are some screws going up through the back. At this point I would take them out to get the water out. That crack is big!!! Time for some reading glasses? Ha, Ha, I couldn't resist.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
You might be onto something there. I was trying to pull out the plug on that instrument panel yesterday it appears sealed tight with epoxy. There are some screws going up through the back. At this point I would take them out to get the water out. That crack is big!!! Time for some reading glasses? Ha, Ha, I couldn't resist.

I would have seen the crack, but my reading glasses are cracked. Ha ha.

But no. That crack was not really visible when you are riding the bike. It just looks big in the picture. It’s tiny. And so narrow you can barely see it. It’s like the width of a hair.

I suspect the thing got hit by a rock driving. Because there was no other point where it took any impact from me using the bike. I did several thousand miles all over the country with rocks flying at me. Couple new cracks in the RV windshield. I’m sure this was from a rock.

I pulled that instrument panel all apart. They use some kind of sealant. Like a polysulfide or other type of caulking. White. Rubbery. It’s not epoxy, thankfully because epoxy causes me to have an anaphylactic reaction these days. Used it too much. You are clear to pull this thing apart, but I wouldn’t bother. There’s not much going on inside. Just the tachometer. And the rest is PCB board. Not much you can fix in there. Plus I think it is well sealed. It did a great job holding IN all the water that came through the crack.

So I have that instrument panel open and drying out right now. I hope it works. I’m going to have to find a way to seal that crack. I think a little silicone will do the trick for now. I’m looking at ordering a new instrument panel. They are only $125. That’s a pretty good deal for what it is. I just hope they have some in stock. That’s going to be the trick.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:22 PM   #19

Yaa once you get the nice bubble water reflective background it pops. No need to disassemble if it is sealed good. Dry it out, maybe it will work.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:00 PM   #20

I used to watch this guy on U tube he had a CRF 230 he used to put on a rear receiver hitch carry unit with an extended rear receiver bar on his truck. His camper stuck out in the back. Seemed like it was pretty close to four feet. Can't think of his U tube channel, but he reviewed his whole set up.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #21

It’s fixed.

There was a short inside from water. Left black soot.

I cleaned it all up, used some oil all over the electronics, sealed the crack with silicone until I can get a new gauge set in.

Started right up and ran fine. EXCEPT....

The electronics are a little funky. You know when you turn the bike on and it lights each LCD cell for the fuel level up one by one until it says “full” then goes back down?

Well, it does that non stop. Fuel level just goes up and down from empty to full endlessly. I’ll have to see if it goes up to “less than full” once I burn some fuel.

Note: since the fuse blew from the short in the gauges, the battery did NOT self drain anymore. It’s full and started beautifully.

So this thread is just about closed up, pending that fuel gauge weirdness

Old 12-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #22

Hmmm. Still a little moisture in the gauges. I’m surprised since I really let them dry out for hours in dry conditions with a lot of wind. May need to put a desiccant in there to help.

Also the silicone I used was old. It didn’t cure. Ugh.

Have to fix the fix.

Old 12-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #23

I do believe your streak of most miles with least maintenance is intact. How many miles? The water issue is a random damage act and doesn't qualify as a maintenance related issue. Now I am curious how long you can go!

Old 12-01-2021, 05:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
I do believe your streak of most miles with least maintenance is intact. How many miles? The water issue is a random damage act and doesn't qualify as a maintenance related issue. Now I am curious how long you can go!

Right? I think all of the issues I have had have either been self-inflicted, or an act of God. I think I can still claim that I’m riding this thing reliably without having had to fix anything that was Logan’s fault.

I’m closing in on 2000 miles, 60% dirt, 40% tar.

Other than act of god and self inflicted problems, I’ve touched nothing.

Changed oil and tightened the chain as needed. 100% stock setup

Old 12-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #25

Updating the thread with a status report:

I got it running (again) without the instrument cluster (a ziplock baggie and rubber bands is in its place).

It runs just fine. I can turn lock to lock and slam the handlebar stops hard into the frame now with no effect. Runs great.

Moral of the story/thread:

If you get even the smallest crack in or a droplet of water in your gauges, replace them immediately. The functionality of a modern bike may depend on it. They are very much electronic in nature.