Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #16

i just hate to be lumped in with the smokers because im a copenhagen man but thats the way it goes, its not a habit i recommend but nobody has ever died of second had spit (although a few thought so) and nobody ever picked up the habit that way 8O . i do know my habit has caused a few close following cars to keep their distance while i ride :twisted: its bad for me im sure, but i can only justify this with this logic: i dont have any other bad habits such as drinking, drugs, or womanising (but the last isnt a choice ever offered) and i enjoy it more than food, and i can eat, so it may be the lesser of the evils :?
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 01-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #17

My thoughts, If people want to smoke let them, You can raise the price all You want but never ban a person right to do what they wish to the body they inhabit. If it comes down to only being allowed to smoke in Your home or Your car fine. But I feel no person has the right to tell anyone what they can or cannot do to themselves. If it were up to me You make Pot legal, You tax the Snot out of it, You raise the Taxes on Smokes Alcohol, and imported goods, Stock profits, and high end good's sales. . You take that money and use to to finance this Govt ran program they are trying to get across.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #18

i wonder if smokers are exempt from the cap and trade idea?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
My thoughts, If people want to smoke let them, You can raise the price all You want but never ban a person right to do what they wish to the body they inhabit. If it comes down to only being allowed to smoke in Your home or Your car fine. But I feel no person has the right to tell anyone what they can or cannot do to themselves. If it were up to me You make Pot legal, You tax the Snot out of it, You raise the Taxes on Smokes Alcohol, and imported goods, Stock profits, and high end good's sales. . You take that money and use to to finance this Govt ran program they are trying to get across.
I agree with most of that, but personally, I think it's absurd that you can't smoke in restaurants, or bars. Don't like the smoke? Don't go in. It's a private business, and if the owner wants to let people smoke, he should be able to.
Let the market decide.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #20

The anti-smoking laws in BC were as a result of employee exposure to smoke. The intent was to protect the worker. The gut reaction of alot of people was to say "If you don't smoke, don't work there", but the reality is that options can be limited for single moms.

Alberta went a different way and banned smoking in establishments that allow children.

I can see the logic in both approaches.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #21

Many human beings are inconsiderate; therefore, it is not surprising that many smokers are inconsiderate. I absolutely hate it when I discover cigarette butts in my front yard, or driveway! Inconsiderate smokers drive by my home, and flick their cigarette butts onto my property. Is it really that hard to deposit a cigarette butt into a car’s ash tray? :evil:

I do not smoke; I have never smoked. I don’t use illegal drugs; I have never experimented with them. I also don’t drink alcohol. However, I don’t think cigarettes should be made illegal. I believe it is none of the government’s business to tell people they cannot smoke. If cigarettes were made illegal, people would still smoke them.

From 1919 to 1933, the United States of America prohibited the sale of alcohol, but people did not stop drinking. Instead, people kept drinking alcohol, and organized crime flourished. Marijuana, heroine, cocaine, and many other drugs are illegal in the United States of America. However, people still ingest these drugs, and organized drug crime flourishes because of it. If people are addicted to any drug, they will continue to use it, and you are not helping them if you make them criminals.

I am a Libertarian; therefore, I believe the best government is the least government. I don’t expect government to produce paradise on Earth; instead, I expect government to be corrupt, and to screw up everything it operates. I don’t trust government to do anything righteously; instead, I place my trust in the Lord, Jesus Christ. I don’t think government should be trying to control people’s lives. If you are not harming someone else, or his property, it is not the business of anyone, least of all the government, to tell you what you can, or cannot do.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The anti-smoking laws in BC were as a result of employee exposure to smoke. The intent was to protect the worker. The gut reaction of alot of people was to say "If you don't smoke, don't work there", but the reality is that options can be limited for single moms.

Alberta went a different way and banned smoking in establishments that allow children.

I can see the logic in both approaches.
As I stated earlier, I am a Libertarian. However, I see the logic of both the laws WG mentioned. If someone wants to smoke responsibly, it is none of the government's business. However, if someone wants to smoke, and doesn't care if he harms his fellow workers, or children, that is an entirely different matter.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #23

Anybody ever catch a butt in the face while riding? I have.

I have this fantasy where some jerk tosses it out the window and I catch it, and then toss it into his open window at the next light.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 01-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #24

I place my trust in the Lord, Jesus Christ. I don’t think government should be trying to control people’s lives.

Copy that, Spud . I'm not a Libertarian per se. I'm a Right Wing Christian Conservative Pro Gun American Hetersexual. Remember those? TBS still shows them on the Andy Griffith Show.

Humans are not capable of self government. So the best we can do is the least we can do, government that is.

As a physician I obviously advise all my tobacco consuming patients to quit. I do this without insulting their intelligence, as they all know that quitting will help thier health. It is my responsibility to at least say something.

That said, they're all (mostly all) Americans. They have the right to do with thier bodies as they see fit, as long as it does not unduely harm anyone else. Being offended does NOT count as being harmed.

We beat up smokers too much, IMHO. We don't do the same to cheeseburger addicts, social or problem drinkers, non-exercisers, candy consumers, or any other subgroup.

Imagine if someone taxed our motorbikes because they were a health hazard. 8O

Old 01-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #25

Quote:
We beat up smokers too much, IMHO. We don't do the same to cheeseburger addicts, social or problem drinkers, non-exercisers, candy consumers, or any other subgroup.
"cheeseburger addicts, social or problem drinkers, non-exercisers, candy consumers, or any other subgroup." with the exception of the drinkers who may go and get behind the wheel of a car for example, only do damage to themselves. I don't care what a smoker does to their lungs, but I like mine. The drunk-drivers get "beat up" too, but I would say not nearly enough.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #26

I did not mean to imply drinking while driving :evil: . That's obviously a different matter.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Quote:
"cheeseburger addicts, social or problem drinkers, non-exercisers, candy consumers, or any other subgroup." with the exception of the drinkers who may go and get behind the wheel of a car for example, only do damage to themselves. I don't care what a smoker does to their lungs, but I like mine. The drunk-drivers get "beat up" too, but I would say not nearly enough.
Jim I'm not a Doc or a scientist, so I can't back this claim up.. but its MY OPINION, that you're probably breathing more toxic chemicals into your lungs walking down the street from cars, buses, big rigs, industry and agricultural pollution than you would from walking by a smoker. You may even be getting toxic chemicals out of any heat or air flow out of your apartment building. Just imagine, everyone in there is farting and shedding skin, breathing out viruses and bacteria which floats around in the air. Filtration can't get it all.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #28

Fact is that it is not govenment's responsibility to protect us from our own poor decisions. That's up to the individual.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #29

I agree that it isn't that bad in BC because of the rarity, this is due to our strict regulations though, being around it all the time in a place with less restrictions (Vegas for example) is different matter.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #30

I liked the way Bel-Ray smelled In my old yamaha mx. That was some good smoke.