Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #16

Below $1, huh, well, I might just get me a couple of clean 55 gal drums and fill them up and save it for hard times, 'cause you KNOW come spring time and people start driving more, the greedy stations are gonna hike it up again . . .

Luke, 11: 21

Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
And all those people blaming Bush for the high prices too.

I heard yesterday that gas is suppose to drop below a $1/gal here. The lifan is currently resting. At this price I will drive something with heat.

Allen
I second that motion, I've been in the volvo for a couple weeks. I could have ridden to work last night, kinda wish I would have since it's supposed to rain til friday. But the Volvo is warm and dry.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #18

Today's gas has a shelf life of about 30 days. Unless you keep it in a completely sealed steel container it will go bad before you can use it. I only buy 2 gallons at a time for my lawnmowers and tractors. This is mostly thanks to the ethanol in the gas. If you can avoid buying ethanol mixed for you yard equipment.

Gas prices continued to drop over the Thanksgiving holiday even though that is a high traveling time. It is all supply and demand in the gas market.

Allen

Old 12-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #19

Today's gas has a shelf life of about 30 days?

Hey Kato, is that also true if you use a wood alcohol stabilizer? Winter here is a lot longer than 30 days and my fuel tank is FULL to prevent rusting. The stabilizer will prevent the H20 seperating from the Octane, but is the gas still good? Should I throw that gas out come spring?

Old 12-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwun
Here in East Tennessee, regular is around 1.60 right now, but I'm getting ready to go fill up three 5 gal cans with kerosene for my garage heater, and I'll be paying around 3.70 for the kerosene -- don't make any sense, does it ?

It just occured to me, wonder how it would be if regular gas was offered as a public utility, like natural gas, electricity, and water ?

The municipality could likely get a better price on sizeable quantities than could a service station, and a meter on the hose would keep track of how much you used, like your electric and water and natural gas does now.

I read somewhere a while back that Paris, France offered compressed air as a public utility -- guess that's because so many bicycles, huh ?

Hmmm, this might be something to get the pols behind -- I'd bet the commercial operations would squall like a mashed cat over it, though . . .
When I lived in St. Cloud MN in the late '80s, a local chain of gas stations would allow you to pre-pay at the current price for a given amount of gasoline or diesel fuel. You then used their card at their stations to use the fuel whenever you wanted, or you could squirrel it away in case of a price spike some time in the future. Back then gas prices were quite predictable in that they would rise about 20 cents/gallon in the summer and then drop back down in the winter, so you could rely on saving some money by using this service and pre-buying in the winter. That company is still doing business, but I see that now the "pre-buy" price is now about 75 cents higher than actual current prices at the pump. This chain has received national news coverage during price spikes, due to its uniqueness. I just wish this type of thing were available in more areas.
http://www.firstfuelbanks.com/

Old 12-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFist
Today's gas has a shelf life of about 30 days?

Hey Kato, is that also true if you use a wood alcohol stabilizer? Winter here is a lot longer than 30 days and my fuel tank is FULL to prevent rusting. The stabilizer will prevent the H20 seperating from the Octane, but is the gas still good? Should I throw that gas out come spring?
I would drain it out and put it in the car in the spring. Then start with a fresh tank for the season. Keeping the tank full prevents them from rusting.

Allen

Old 12-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #22

Just put stabil in the gas before you store it for the winter...it will be fine...it always has been...in the past! My Classic truck has 5 year old gas in it with stabil and a fresh can of octane boost every spring and she fires up and runs fine...?
Yes gas will go bad if you don't put the additives in it, but it will take a long time to go off completely if you use them. IMHO....to each their own...But i do it every year fall and spring depending upon what gets put to bed.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #23

I had a van that sat for nearly 2 years with no additive in the gas, and it fired up and ran just fine (with a new battery ). I use a 5 gallon can for the mower and other small engines and never had a problem w/ gas going bad. It's rare that I fill the 5 gallon more than once a year.

I probably do need to drain the carb on the Lifan, but the EX will likely be ridden enough to not be a problem. Today was warm enough to have me sweating in the helmet again. Ack! 8O

It'll be cooler on the ride tonight...now if it'll only stay dry for a few more hours.

I filled the car today at $1.50/gallon. I think that's maybe the 5th tank of the year...lol
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #24

The gas really does not go bad, but it loses some of its performance. I have had issues with old gas in motorcycles and the easier solution was to drain it out and put in fresh. Old cars just don't seem to be particular on what is in them. I put all the gas that is more than a few months old into my Jeep. It burns it just fine.

The stabil gas will should still be good come spring.

I don't winterized or add anything here in GA. I ride the bikes year round and use my tractors year round. I just buy 2 gallons of gas for them at a time.

Allen

Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #25

Thanks for the update. I know water will seperate from the gas if stabilizer isn't used. The water stays in a layer. That layer is the bit that rusts if you don't use wood alcohol to stabilize. I have to store my tank because of weather. For the 10$ of gas I'm using I won't be cheap, I'll stick it in the car come spring. Too bad I don't have a gas lawn mower, or even 1 old tractor.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #26

Some engines are particular with gas. It usually seems to be the more performance oriented engines.

Ethanol pretty does the same as the wood alcohol.

Back to the topic. I filled yesterday for $1.44/gal in Buford, GA. It was a $1.42 this morning.

Allen

Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #27

I filled up on 1.74 couple days ago in Martinsburg. Today i saw 1.62.

My bike wouldn't keep running sat. with full choke. Would start and immediately die over and over for about 5 minutes. (about 25f outside) Finally, with the battery almost dead it came to life, but ran as ragged as can be and the exhaust had a very funky smell. Like turpentine?? :?

On the road a couple minutes and it was back to normal.

Wonder if the mehanol was settling out or something. All our gas comes E10 now.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #28

GA has gone to ethanol too. It will cause some things to swell up like foam carb floats and soften plastic/vinyl fuel lines.

Allen

Old 12-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #29

As per some of my earlier posts, I tried av gas, and it worked beautifully, but I found it to have corrosives that eat the gas in-line filter and made the gas line hard and brittle.

I took the cheap china gas line off (vacuum line?) and the cheap in-line filter and put a good metal in-line filter and the good braided gas line and then found a texaco station that sold regular without the ethanol, and it works almost as good as the av gas and starts quickly even in 20 degree weather and warms up reasonably well.

Luke, 11: 21

Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #30

http://www.greendaily.com/2008/12/01...er-gas-prices/
:roll:
oh yah Regular $0.79/L here.
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)