Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 AM   #16

Yep, the nut takes a 22mm wrench.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #17

So did you take out your 4 ft long torque wrench and click 'er down to 100 ft lbs? .. or did you just pull on it some, so you felt some stretch?

I'm real nervous about torquing the nuts too much.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:50 AM   #18

Neither. In broken record mode, I'll say again that the wheel mounting flange butts up against a step in the axle, so it can't go any further. The nut is then adjusted to take up slop in the splines.

I put the quad up on jackstands with both wheels on, lock the rear brake and wiggle the wheel. If it wiggles, I tighten the nut until it stops. I'm very compulsive. :oops:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-20-2009, 02:57 AM   #19

So I've determined the tube is essential as TurboT mentioned.

It keeps the rear sprocket on the axle.

Wheel mounted without the spacer tube, spline is showing.

This is how many washers I am up to.

When you do tighten the wheel nut, you have to align the spacer tube so that it is centered.

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is perhaps the force of the wheel spinning, and the quad turning, creates a 'pull' effect away from the tube, which puts the pressure onto the wheel nut side, effectively loosening the tube enough to make it rattle.
I would have to agree, I'm not sure if tube length is the issue now.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:01 AM   #20

I needed additional washers on my daughters quad as well, and I could probably use more, to keep the pin inside the castle nut.

If you feel you have excessive space, I would make sure you eyeball your front and rear sprocket to make sure they are in alignment. I think it's 'possible' the axl shaft isn't centered properly. Although, if that were the case one tube would be too long, and the other too short.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:33 AM   #21

For the sake of comparison, here's a shot of the right side of the Beast rear axle. You can see that the wheel mounting flange isn't held in place by a spacer, and the double-nuts retain the rotor and set the bearings in the rear axle. IOW, you tighten the inner nut to take up slop and then jam it with the outer nut.

What you can't see is the step in the axle that prevents the wheel mounting flange from sliding on any further.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:48 AM   #22

That is definetely a different design than on the mini beast.

The double nut on the rotor is probably a better way of doing things.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #23

So far it has worked well. My next challenge will be to figure out a 520 (or even 530) chain upgrade, because the 428 continues to stretch under load.

So far I haven't found a sprocket that will fit the existing mount, so I think that means fabricating an adapter that will allow a different bolt pattern sprocket to attach. Anybody have mad lathe or CNC skills? I'd fabricate the piece, but I'm not likely to get the holes perfectly concentric, which will cause an elliptical pattern. That would result in the chain being tight and then loose as the axle turns.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
So far it has worked well. My next challenge will be to figure out a 520 (or even 530) chain upgrade, because the 428 continues to stretch under load.

So far I haven't found a sprocket that will fit the existing mount, so I think that means fabricating an adapter that will allow a different bolt pattern sprocket to attach. Anybody have mad lathe or CNC skills? I'd fabricate the piece, but I'm not likely to get the holes perfectly concentric, which will cause an elliptical pattern. That would result in the chain being tight and then loose as the axle turns.
Hey I had a brief look at my brother in laws Polaris quad today, the rear axel has the same look to yours. The rotor is held on via double nut just like you have there. Have you checked any Polaris sprockets for a comparison?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #25

I never even thought of Polaris; I was stuck on Jap axles. I'll do some perusing. Do you know if his sprocket was a 520? Can you provide a photo of the sprocket side?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:11 AM   #26

Quote:
I never even thought of Polaris; I was stuck on Jap axles. I'll do some perusing. Do you know if his sprocket was a 520? Can you provide a photo of the sprocket side?
You know I feel bad.. I was looking at it and thought of you, but never poked around the sprocket. I am heading to Pemberton to get my bike tomorrow, but my wife may be out there again. I will ask her to take some photos for you if she goes.

I don't know what size sprocket or chain it is, but I can ask. I don't know the year of the quad, for some reason I think it is a 99, 300cc 2 Stroke Oil Injected, 2wd utility quad.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #27

Thanks. I'd be grateful for any photos and clarification.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks. I'd be grateful for any photos and clarification.
Shows you how quickly I looked at this, as it is not a brake rotor, but some form of shield for the sprocket it seems like. Makes it hard to see the bolt pattern. I had the wife take a few shots.

The 'man of the house' was up country today so not able to get her to ask what chain size is on it.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #29

Thanks T. It's not the same, since there are only three sprocket mounting bolts. I'll keep looking. Maybe the new Gio will have a bolt-on sprocket that works with a 520.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #30

Hey sorry it's not the same. Not hard to take a few photos.

Maybe you should check some other Polaris styles, this quad is 10 years old and a ute model.. perhaps some Outlaw's or Predators have different mounting due to the speed and horsepower factor.