Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #16

Abbotsford is fine, except for the air quality.

I lived there for about 6 years, and my parents are still there.

If not for the fact I work downtown Vancouver I would consider it a strong living option.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
When I was looking, I did find an older rancher on Peardonville off Clearbrook, they wanted $228k, I never contacted them, because it was out of my price range, but it seemed like a good deal.

I also really like how Abbotsford is so much more reasonably priced then Langley...
$228K for a Rancher in Abbotsford? :!: Holy red flag! It sounds like someone was growing plants in there; even $328 raises a red flag for me, because you can't buy a townhouse for that.
Well, it is still listed if you want to have a look...
http://www.fsbo-bc.com/abbotsford_lower-mainland_v.htm
Quote:
$229,000

32121 Peardonville Rd.
Abbotsford, BC

Style House Bedrooms 3
Age 30 Bathrooms 1
Lot Size 70ft x 110ft SQ FT. 2200

CUTE & CHARMING, PRICED TO SELL FAST!

Beautifully redone 3+ bedroom rancher with full basement. Spacious living room with high ceilings, new carpets in bedrooms, new laminate flooring, expertly finished. Basement offers 2 large open rooms, extra storage, plus one bedroom and half bathroom. Fully fenced yard, new fencing and turf, white picket fence on front yard. Roof 3 years old. Gorgeous new vinyl windows. Ample parking, new siding and shutters.
tel: ------ e-mail
ID: 10801
I don't think it is a grow op, the owner (or the owner of the email) is the principal at a traditional school.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #18

Peardonville can be a busy street in places, could be part of it's detriment.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #19

Anytime I've been there, it's been pretty quiet (in front of that house)... It is rather shady a lot of the time, due to the proximity of taller apartment buildings... It probably has it's time of day where it gets busy though.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #20

It's so 'cheap' I'm tempted to go look at it. Perhaps I can rent it out. :P

Old 08-30-2009, 02:13 AM   #21

"Cheap" is a relative term , put that house in Saskatchewan and it would be worth 10%, 5%? Location, location, location... In all my searching that was the best deal I found in the area, including Mission... Since it was out of my price range though, I passed... It looked like it is in better shape then the small ranchers near my apartment which look like they're waiting to be knocked down for future condo developments... I like my location a bit better for walking places, but really that is only 5 minutes more to walk most places I go... I wonder if it is still for sale because it has been on that site for a looooooooooong time, I think maybe they listed it and forgot.. I haven't seen any signs in front of it...

Old 08-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
"Cheap" is a relative term , put that house in Saskatchewan and it would be worth 10%, 5%? Location, location, location... In all my searching that was the best deal I found in the area, including Mission... Since it was out of my price range though, I passed... It looked like it is in better shape then the small ranchers near my apartment which look like they're waiting to be knocked down for future condo developments... I like my location a bit better for walking places, but really that is only 5 minutes more to walk most places I go... I wonder if it is still for sale because it has been on that site for a looooooooooong time, I think maybe they listed it and forgot.. I haven't seen any signs in front of it...
Yes that was the reason for the "quotes" on cheap.

Might not be a bad investment depending on the surrounding area. I was in Abbotsford today should have driven by on my two trips to Blackwood Building..

Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #23

If you want I can get you a picture... I emailed a while ago though and haven't gotten a response so I don't know if it is still for sale, I suppose I could give the # a call...

Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #24

That's okay. I don't think I have time to take that on right now though.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #25

No problem... Maybe I should look at it... Now the strata is talking about the possibility the balcony situation may be worse then expected, and it may not be limited to the balconies... The talk was the absolute worst case scenario.... $200,000 per unit... I guess then it is time to sell the building for the value of the land and assume the loss of the down payment and the rest of the monies owing to the bank on the mortgage... Maybe I can move to Saskatchewan... Or maybe get the NDP elected and let them buy me a house The only upside is that this is just them letting us know what could be, and they really have no details yet, they need to have things checked out more in depth... They may be able to stay within their current special levy, depending on what they find... They also did not provide us this information in an official meeting with minutes, demolishing property values, since they do not actually have any information yet. Oh well, live and learn. :roll:

I don't know how it could come to that though... I am not an expert (see my signature), but they said a similar building in the area just redid the stucco siding for vinyl, and it was around $250,000... Take that up between 60 units and it is only $4166.67 per unit... I know that is just siding, but add on windows for a unit $1000-$1500 maybe? And to redo all the framing on the exterior wall of a single unit, I can't imagine would be a huge bill.... Granted you get engineers in there, and wrap the exterior of the building, things get expensive... But broken down, it doesn't seem like it should be too bad...

Old 09-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #26

If you get the opportunity to buy a single family dwelling, jump on it!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-04-2009, 01:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
If you get the opportunity to buy a single family dwelling, jump on it!
That was my initial plan, but with no one to partner on the purchase, and the price out of my range for a first time deal, I opted for the condo route for a few years first... We will see how it plays out... Maybe I will end up owing the bank the entire value (minus the down payment they already have), with no value left in just under a year... Or maybe it will work out and I will be able to get out of it in a year or so with out a huger loss... We will see... No need panicking about things I don't control though.

Old 06-19-2024, 04:13 AM   #28

It sounds like you're dealing with a complex and frustrating situation. While I'm not an expert, I can offer some general advice:

Document Everything: Keep a detailed record of all communications and decisions made by the strata council, including notices, emails, and minutes from meetings.

Seek Clarification: Ask the strata council for a clear explanation of why you were required to pay for balcony repairs when you don’t have one. Request documentation that outlines the basis for this decision.

Gather Support: Talk to other residents who feel the situation is unfair. A collective voice may have more influence than a single complaint.

Consult the Strata Bylaws: Review your building's strata bylaws and rules. There might be provisions that address how costs should be allocated for limited common property repairs.

Legal Advice: Consider seeking legal advice from a lawyer who specializes in strata property issues. They can provide a professional opinion on whether the levy was applied fairly and what steps you can take.

Attend Meetings: Participate in all relevant strata meetings, especially the upcoming special general meeting. Voice your concerns and ask for transparency in the decision-making process.

Propose Alternative Solutions: Suggest that the strata council consider a different method of cost allocation that reflects the benefit received, such as splitting balcony repair costs equally among those with balconies.

Navigating strata issues can be challenging, but staying informed and proactive will help you protect your interests. Good luck!