Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The beauty thing about this is that we can compare it to my Beast if we get stuck.

On the tire issue, mine both popped off the rim when I first got it, despite trying different pressures. I finally gave in and installed tubes. Highly recommended permanent fix. Don't bother with the auction yet.

Also, I can show you how to re-seat the bead if you wish.
Hmm... I just 'assumed' the tire was done in since nothing was happening with the air.

I put a bid in on the auction already, but it's low so if I win it no big deal.

Thanks for clarifying the proper names of the wire connectors. Yes, part of the spade is still on the coil, then the other end is crimped to the wire so it won't stay on. I tried to shove it on there to close the connection but either it didn't work, or it did and it's not the problem..

Easy to fix for sure, not too concerned, just wondering if that's the actual problem.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
The beauty thing about this is that we can compare it to my Beast if we get stuck.

On the tire issue, mine both popped off the rim when I first got it, despite trying different pressures. I finally gave in and installed tubes. Highly recommended permanent fix. Don't bother with the auction yet.

Also, I can show you how to re-seat the bead if you wish.
Hmm... I just 'assumed' the tire was done in since nothing was happening with the air.

I put a bid in on the auction already, but it's low so if I win it no big deal.

Thanks for clarifying the proper names of the wire connectors. Yes, part of the spade is still on the coil, then the other end is crimped to the wire so it won't stay on. I tried to shove it on there to close the connection but either it didn't work, or it did and it's not the problem..

Easy to fix for sure, not too concerned, just wondering if that's the actual problem.
lets fix it then...remove the part still on the coil...the end that held the wire is probably crimped flat, take a nail or pencil and open it up to round sgain, or at least big enough for the wire to go back in (put a drop of solder in if you want) crimp it back up, voila, done.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #18

T,

We'll figure out the wiring issue on Saturday. How am i supposed to sleep now?

Pete,

My way is non-flammable. I use a mix of dishsoap and water as a lube on the bead, remove the schrader valve (for increased volume) and let 'er rip to about 20psi. It works great, but the rims and tires are far from perfect on these, so tubes are your friend.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #19

Quote:
T,

We'll figure out the wiring issue on Saturday. How am i supposed to sleep now?

Pete,

My way is non-flammable. I use a mix of dishsoap and water as a lube on the bead, remove the schrader valve (for increased volume) and let 'er rip to about 20psi. It works great, but the rims and tires are far from perfect on these, so tubes are your friend.
real shame we are so far apart...i have tubs and tubs of the green monkey snot for beads, or are you using the dishsoap for any other reason than lube? Like grease cutting ability?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 AM   #20

The only reason for choosing dishsoap is that it's free. Bead sealer is probably a better idea, but soap works.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #21

Quote:
The only reason for choosing dishsoap is that it's free. Bead sealer is probably a better idea, but soap works.
10-4

Old 10-21-2009, 01:25 AM   #22

I like the tool the tire shop has for truck tires, it's an air tank with a big pipe coming off it and an on off valve, then it flares out wide to go on the edge of the rim, flip the valve and it empties the tank into the tire.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:41 AM   #23

That's an impressive amount of volume I'll bet. I'll ask my buddy over at Fountain Tire (who taught me the soap trick) to show me what you're referring to.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:54 AM   #24

So I take it you smart guys think the tire is fine, just needs someone with some smarts to make it work again. That would be fine with me, less cash, more labour... much better with my marital surroundings at the moment. I always played with rods and crankshafts, no tires or cdi's, coils or miniture wiring too small for anyone but 5 year old chinese kids in the factory.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:15 AM   #25

Quote:
That's an impressive amount of volume I'll bet. I'll ask my buddy over at Fountain Tire (who taught me the soap trick) to show me what you're referring to.
Its more or less a large tire machine (same as for your car cept bigger) with a bead seating tool attached, similar to a Cheetah tank.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:22 AM   #26

Quote:
So I take it you smart guys think the tire is fine, just needs someone with some smarts to make it work again. That would be fine with me, less cash, more labour... much better with my marital surroundings at the moment. I always played with rods and crankshafts, no tires or cdi's, coils or miniture wiring too small for anyone but 5 year old chinese kids in the factory.
It MAY be OK, maybe not, but if W&G is close, why not? As for the wiring stuff, I can cheat because all I have to do is look at mine

Hmmm..a guy good with engine rebuilding eh? So you can pull it apart, send the rod out for shotpeen, turn the crank .010/.010, oversize bearings, hand file the rings, bore the big end on the rod (bolts in), hone the cylinder, stick a deck plate on and deck the block, shave the head a bit....COOL cause I CANT DO ANY OF THAT

pete

Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 AM   #27

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping that T will blow the motor, so we can do a stage 3 rebuild on it! I'm all over a high compression piston, ported head, hot cam and a stroker crank (especially if it's T's money and talent).

Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Quote:
It MAY be OK, maybe not, but if W&G is close, why not? As for the wiring stuff, I can cheat because all I have to do is look at mine

Hmmm..a guy good with engine rebuilding eh? So you can pull it apart, send the rod out for shotpeen, turn the crank .010/.010, oversize bearings, hand file the rings, bore the big end on the rod (bolts in), hone the cylinder, stick a deck plate on and deck the block, shave the head a bit....COOL cause I CANT DO ANY OF THAT

pete
Yes I will be leaning heavily on W&G's knowledge on the tire, and probably many other things the beer will pay for.

Pete I spent 13 years in an engine shop, and everything you mentioned I've done, with the help of ten's of thousand dollars worth of machinery. It's all sold off now, so the best I could do would be polish a crankshaft and share my knowledge with anyone who will listen. I spent less time with bores and pistons, more time with rod resizing, crank grinding and cylinder head pressure testing and surfacing. I could recite strokes and rod/main sizes for too many crankshafts to count off by heart, not sure where that gets me anymore.
..and we didn't do much big end 'boring' of rods, it was mostly honed with a sunnen rod resizing machine, chopping the cap and rod was always fun though!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Yeah, I'm kinda hoping that T will blow the motor, so we can do a stage 3 rebuild on it! I'm all over a high compression piston, ported head, hot cam and a stroker crank (especially if it's T's money and talent).
Niiiice.. I thought only my wife liked to spend my money.

..why not though, going to get the no rev cdi, beat the hell out of 'er for while, what I got to lose for 250 bucks and W&G's wrench time!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Quote:

pete
Yes I will be leaning heavily on W&G's knowledge on the tire, and probably many other things the beer will pay for.

Pete I spent 13 years in an engine shop, and everything you mentioned I've done, with the help of ten's of thousand dollars worth of machinery. It's all sold off now, so the best I could do would be polish a crankshaft and share my knowledge with anyone who will listen. I spent less time with bores and pistons, more time with rod resizing, crank grinding and cylinder head pressure testing and surfacing. I could recite strokes and rod/main sizes for too many crankshafts to count off by heart, not sure where that gets me anymore.
..and we didn't do much big end 'boring' of rods, it was mostly honed with a sunnen rod resizing machine, chopping the cap and rod was always fun though!
Until the last few years my entire life was spent in precision Aerospace machine shops. I speak your lingo.
Aerospace, Military, Power generation, commercial aircraft. The last 17 yrs as QA Manager.

For honing, yeah, theres Sunen and everything else. Damn fine bore gauges too, but super pricey.

Two divisions, 100 employees, you can figure the equipment out. Last item we purchased was 2 horizontal boring mills...Italy iirc.....Take a 60" stator ring casting and work to tenths...yes, seriously.