Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #16

My Bashan pops the rev limiter at 64mph. It would bury the stock needle at max easily but the Iphone always told the real truth.

Running mods and 3 different gear selections 46T, 43T and 39T and you still won’t see over 64 w/o a downhill push. The motor can’t even turn the 43T or taller above 61mph at 7,500 rpm. It doesn’t have the guts to wind the 43 out to 8,500 rpm. I use the eBay Sambo cluster and iPhone together for my wot mph tests. 64-67 mph dead flat on the Oklahoma turnpike is all you’re going to get w/o doing the port polish and decking to raise the horsepower like MegaDan and others did.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 05-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Member Azhule has hit 82 MPH (GPS verified) on his Bashan 'Speedee' on downhill mountain roads in Colorado
I actually do my "Bashan 200 Top Speed Runs" on a nice 1 mile stretch of flat road in Wyoming... that road is a lot closer to where I store/tune the bike after all (my pops garage)

Usually use "Terry Ranch Road, Cheyenne Wyoming"... it's 6,000 or so feet above sea level so the bike is a little asthmatic and down on power up here... the road does have a couple "hills" a few miles from where I do the tests... but I don't use the 2 "down hill" spots on the top speed run... if I did use the hills, I would have easily hit my 100+ mph goal by now

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.0...a=!4m2!4m1!3e0

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #18

probably not the rev limiter your hitting. its either starving for air or gas.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 05-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #19

Just ran out and tested for this thread.

Speedo is 5-10 mph off from GPS. I say 5-10 because the GPS is also off some from my truck and boat (both are stock and 1 year old). But definitely much further off with bike indicating it's the most inaccurate as expected. It definitely seems to be on average 6-7 mph off. Sometimes the bike and GPS are within a few miles within each other, but other times they are up to 10mph as shown in the picture.

My GPS indicated top speed today was 64mph. I hit 67mph before, according to GPS. I ran out of road and was driving 1 handed, so may have been able to get a few more.

Stock gearing, minkuni carb, eBay exhaust, stock tires. I'm big, 6'2, 275 pnds.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #20

Tried my darndest to break 70mph, but couldn't. Topped at 69mph twice. That's with my big self tucked in as much as possible, not riding realistically. This is about a mile long, mostly straight stretch, that's steadily goes downhill slightly the whole time.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancadam View Post
Just ran out and tested for this thread.

Speedo is 5-10 mph off from GPS. I say 5-10 because the GPS is also off some from my truck and boat (both are stock and 1 year old). But definitely much further off with bike indicating it's the most inaccurate as expected. It definitely seems to be on average 6-7 mph off. Sometimes the bike and GPS are within a few miles within each other, but other times they are up to 10mph as shown in the picture.

My GPS indicated top speed today was 64mph. I hit 67mph before, according to GPS. I ran out of road and was driving 1 handed, so may have been able to get a few more.

Stock gearing, minkuni carb, eBay exhaust, stock tires. I'm big, 6'2, 275 pnds.

The speedo being off is aggravating. My RX3 was off by 8 to as high as 12 mph at highway speeds. That was one of the few disappointments I had on that bike. I felt like Zong Shen put together a hell of a nice little bike but screwed the pooch on the speedo.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
The speedo being off is aggravating. My RX3 was off by 8 to as high as 12 mph at highway speeds. That was one of the few disappointments I had on that bike. I felt like Zong Shen put together a hell of a nice little bike but screwed the pooch on the speedo.
From what I've been told, the manufacturers make the speedo's optimistic for "safety reasons". I guess getting run over is safer than going too fast.

In all honesty though, I've never had a bike with an accurate speedo, ever. Even my Vics and HD's were off somewhat. Hell, my old chopper didn't have any gauges or switch gear. It was like a bicycle.

I always rode "flow of traffic". You basically know how fast you're going anyway. Just like gas gauges. The Kingpin doesn't even have a gas gauge. Just a gas light. It's really up to the rider to slosh the tank once in a while and to simply be aware of how much gas a guy has.

Maybe I'm just old or it's my dirt bike upbringing but these things just aren't important to me. Like my old Honda 350 I had in high school. Ride it till it quits, flip to reserve and find a gas station.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
From what I've been told, the manufacturers make the speedo's optimistic for "safety reasons". I guess getting run over is safer than going too fast.

In all honesty though, I've never had a bike with an accurate speedo, ever. Even my Vics and HD's were off somewhat. Hell, my old chopper didn't have any gauges or switch gear. It was like a bicycle.

I always rode "flow of traffic". You basically know how fast you're going anyway.
I was going to comment on this, too. That's the main reason, "safety" of their own wallets...
If the give you an speedo that says you are going 70 mph, but you are actually 80 mph... they are going to get a heavy rain of sue's from every single customer...

It doesn't matter if it is a car or motorcycle, the speedo will be always off. Most of the time, the speedo will lie to you about 5 mph..

Old 05-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #24

I set my speedo to match the gps and it’s tested with the digital highway road sign every time I pass the elementary school. They all give the same #. The gps does lag but never overshoots the speed.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 05-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
I rode the no limit CDI for a few days and you can throttle right past the 8,500 line in every gear w/o getting a sudden jerk, pause then surge.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
I set my speedo to match the gps and it’s tested with the digital highway road sign every time I pass the elementary school. They all give the same #. The gps does lag but never overshoots the speed.
Yep, ride with "Kentucky Windage". If my RX3 says 55, my brain pretty much reads 48-50. Funny thing is my most accurate speedo is on Q....and the MPH's are the little orange numbers on the inside of the sweep because it's a KPH speedo. It's only off by about 1-2 mph. Close enough!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Yep, ride with "Kentucky Windage". If my RX3 says 55, my brain pretty much reads 48-50. Funny thing is my most accurate speedo is on Q....and the MPH's are the little orange numbers on the inside of the sweep because it's a KPH speedo. It's only off by about 1-2 mph. Close enough!
My stock was dead on 25 and below. After that it got weird the faster you went. 45 was like 33 and 70 was 64 etc. The Sambo is cool because you can adjust it. Thanks to ProjectNext for slipping that gem in to his video!

Old 05-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Ok I ride my bike at 9000 to 10000 feet and as everyone knows at those altitudes we lose a lot of power and I have hit 72 miles per hour on level ground GPS verified. I sure would not want to stay at those speeds for too long but I did for about an hour and it ran fine. This was on a Bashan blaze. If I could do 72 at these altitudes Iam sure at lower elevations 75 would be no problem.
You also have modified intake and exhaust and a Mikuni with the jetting likely dialed in. A stock bike has none of those things and they tend to make a big difference. The altitude does make 72 impressive, but while you are down on power, you are also pushing through thinner air, so drag is reduced a bit as well.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #29

My idea was to try to restore some of the power lost by riding at these altitudes. I guesstimate Iam around where I would be power wise if I was stock (properly tuned of course) at sea level.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #30

This was me(Jeff) in the video. I wont post any Abuse type testing videos on our company channel. Just typical OEM stuff likes reviews and stock repairs or maintenance as I get around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I had (still have the carcass of) a '13 TMEC 200; it had a 197cc Zongshen OEM engine with 17t/48t sprocket setup (the 48t rear was aftermarket) which hit 70+ on the freeway the day I had a serious accident minutes later. These Bashans come stock with 17t/46t sprockets, and I am of the belief they will hit 70+. Maybe touch 75. Of course, that is what is displayed on the stock speedo. When it hit '80', there was no UHaul, and then there was an edit when the UHaul came into the picture. I am of the belief that he was at cruising speed, not top speed of 80, at that part of the video.

I do agree that there might be some false something or another here, but I do trust Jeff overall as he as been a member here for quite a while, and the Brozz is a known, stout bike. I just wish there could be a video with GPS from either Jeff himself, or a member with a Brozz, on a stock bike.
You can hear the RPM difference when it read 80 vs the uhaul truck. The uhaul truck was pulling on me when it read about 71 mph. After Hancadam's excellent work in the motorbike science testing field, I am pretty disappointed. I'm going to have to go do a GPS test run myself soon. 10 mph off is quite alot. 80 mph should be about 65-67 or so then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Think it does, then toss a mikuni 125 main jet and a 45 pilot on a stock brozz and tell me how it runs, because thats my jetting.
Will post if I do, or know of someone who has. I haven't bought a brozz myself so won't buy parts for it out of pocket. Just riding the demo unit. I'll test the super moto version were getting likely end of this year. Comes with the same engine but different gears more suited to street riding. My area(such as the video) makes more sense to get a more highway friendly bike for personal use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
I have a dealer who is big into the modified KTM bikes (i rode it---would never buy that bike. Its crazy fast). He has gotten a few Brozz from us and he also says they need more fuel in the higher RPM range. Whats interesting is that he claims the orange bikes will run 10 mph faster than the other colors. He was telling me his orange bike was showing 80 mph going uphill. His employee rode that orange bike before it sold and will vouch it made noticeably more power than the others one they've got. I'm sold out of orange ones at the moment so can't test.