Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #16

Alright got another question. What I assumed is my odometer obviously isn't. Does this thing read how many minutes it has run?! Because that would make more sense seeing as I would imagine that's about what I have done. I just turned it on in the garage and it didn't move, but maybe only reads when moving? The bottom one can be reset. I'm about to take it out for a spin to check that out, then was thinking of changing the oil today just for something to do. I have questions on that ill ask another question on, but really want to know about odometer.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #17

OK think I have the oil change figured out but just to make sure... first pic is the oil drain. Looks like i need to take skid plate off to keep oil from draining onto it. Saw some videos on YouTube and the spring and mesh filter were in different spots. Is it in with the drain or is it on the side in the second picture. Also in the second picture at the top, is that where you fill as opposed to through dipstick?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140712_102651_877.jpg (96.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140712_101853_781.jpg (97.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by footer; 07-12-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #18

There is a drain plug underneath the skid plate (there is a hole in the skid plate to access). The big nut you show is where the filter and spring are. Fill at dipstick.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #19

The large nut in your first pic is how the Honda engineers intended that you drain the oil. Even if you drain the oil via a drain plug under the motor (some have it, some don't), you should still remove the large nut, spring and screen for cleaning. It is designed so that (mostly) all of the oil will drain out of the large nut when the bike is on the sidestand.

My old XR200 motors only drain that way, and are not equipped with drain plugs underneath. My quad has the drain plug underneath as well as the large nut, because it's difficult to tilt a quad for draining.

I'd certainly remove the skidplate each time, and secure the fasteners with Loctite upon replacing the skidplate.

X2 on filling through the dipstick hole. If you have a sight glass on the clutch cover, trust that instead of the dipstick.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by footer View Post
Its nothing special, just for hunting and hauling stuff. Used a roller and tractor paint, lol. And painted the chrome black. Has held up pretty good I think! You have some old rides? You seem to know about everything with a motor!
I love old dent-side Fords. Had I seen the grill in the first pic, I would have guessed '78. What years Broncos do you have? I have a late '70's Bronco trailer harness adapter that's NIB, and it's your for postage if you can use it. It might work on your PU as well.

Like you, I like quads, DS bikes, old trucks, café bikes...

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #21

Be careful when you re-install the side plug. The metal is very thin and breaks easily. It is the same type of plug that Honda uses on their shaft drive pumpkins. A torque wrench would come in handy here. I don't know what the spec. is, however.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 07-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #22

OK all makes sense. Thanks everyone! There is a plug under skid plate that has a hole where I wouldn't 'need' to remove it to change oil, but maybe I will the first time just to put loctite on. Also think I figured out the odometer is in kilometers not minutes! Lol I'm a tard! Said 32 which I put into a conversion. 3.2 kilo is around a mile which I'm sure is all I have driven it. So I think I'll wait a bit to change the oil. It came with 12 so was originally thinking 12 miles but now get that they just probably drove it around the block which is about what I have done. Wade from Excalibur said to change it at 20 hours so I'll wait a bit. And it says it takes a liter, so I just bought a liter bottle of Castrol motorcycle oil from O'Reillys like culcune says he does.

I have an '86 and a '90 bronco. The 86 is my daily, and the 90 is just a beater with the top off full time. Something broke underneath and a friend fixed it by making it full time 4wd - just keep that one at a farm and everyone there uses it as a mudder. Would love a 70's bronco someday! And they are all wired up for trailers, did have to replace the bronco one last year, but thanks!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #23

I drain the bottom plug after removing the skid plate, then tilt the bike upright to get every last drop out, reinstall the bottom plug, and then remove the side bolt to clear out any oil left, and wipe the filter off, although I only had bits of metal in the first two oil changes, and nothing in the last 2 changes. Then reinstall everything there, and throw a funnel down the dipstick hole, and refill a liter of oil.

I can generally figure out km's to miles by multiplying by 5/8, although multiplying by .6 is probably more accurate (I can do 5/8 in my head a little easier while riding).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
...I don't know what the spec. is, however.
Honda spec. http://josemaco.files.wordpress.com/...h-62ktjam5.pdf

Old 07-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Oil strainer screen cap torque spec. is 15 nm or 11ft-lbs (132 inch-lbs). Courtesy of Humanbeing.

Thanks HB!
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 07-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #26

When we first changed to Metric in the 70's, it was common to simply drop the zero and multiply by 6.

100km/h = 10 x 6 = 60mph
50km/h = 5 x 6 = 30mph

When driving an older vehicle with a MPH speedometer, you get good at conversions in a hurry.

BTW, 3.2km is 2 miles.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
When we first changed to Metric in the 70's, it was common to simply drop the zero and multiply by 6.

100km/h = 10 x 6 = 60mph
50km/h = 5 x 6 = 30mph

When driving an older vehicle with a MPH speedometer, you get good at conversions in a hurry.

BTW, 3.2km is 2 miles.
yeah i guess it was 1 mile and so many yards but didn't pay attention to that, another site gives it in terms of 1.98 miles. i just punched it in on internet on phone. math is my kryptonite. I'm sure ill find an app for that!

Old 07-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #28

ok so was bored this morning, so i changed the oil. went pretty smooth. didn't get a torque wrench, just kinda guessed judging by how tight it was when i took it off.

here is another question. what tools do you guys usually carry with you when out riding??

I'm going for my first 'ride' today. just 15 miles out to a friends farm. do a little light off road to get a feel for it. my tires said 32psi front 36psi back. that is the MAX right? i read that some people run a little low to give better road traction. i put em at 31 and 35 for today.

i bought a camera holder off amazon, had to put it on the front blinker because the handle bars were too congested. ill take some video, but not sure how long it will take me to figure out how to put it on this computer (the woman switched everything in the house to apple products, and I'm not really liking it yet). and its just my regular digital camera, not one of the sport ones you can put on a helmet yet - so I'm sure the vibrations will make it shaky.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #29

I ended up using a sharpie and drew lines in 5mph intervals on the speedo as its in km so far no ticket even had cop behind me one night ( just made it easier then figuring it out in my head) I'm also interested into see what types of tools people carry when they ride

Old 07-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #30

The tools I carry depend on the distance. Short hauls: spark plug socket, spark plug, specific allen wrenches, specific combination wrenches. Long hauls: all of the above, plus tire changing tools, tubes, vise grips, rags, nitrile gloves, CDI, bulbs, master link, chain lube, multimeter, flashlight plus a few other things that don't come to mind ATM.

I never use a torque wrench on the strainer cap, but I do lube the o-ring with engine oil and snug it up very gently.

You're exactly right on how you interpret tire pressure, IMHO, but I'd set 'em a little lower in case you go off road. Like Spud says, 26psi is a good number.

It should be easy to find a MPH speedometer on Taobao for cheap. That would preclude you from conversion.