Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #16

430mm is almost exactly what the RX4 has...shock dimension wise. Given the RX3's suspension geometry I think we are stuck with the current 390mm eye to eye distance. Due to the link between frame and swingarm a small increase in shock length will amount to a much larger change in seat height. It might be as much as 3:1 (I'm too lazy to actually figure this out to be entirely accurate).

Peter Y.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #17

Peter, help me understand your concern on the seat height, i'm dinking with this and seeing a possible 2" increase.. thanks

Old 01-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #18

If it is indeed 2" greater seat height that becomes a big deal for many riders. I have a 32" inseam and an extra 2" would get me looking at a different ride. Don't forget that seat height is only one issue here. You would be raising the entire ass end of the frame so the front geometry will change too. I think this would, on the one hand, allow some super sharp direction changes at low speed but, on the other hand, make the bike twitchy as hell on the highway. You cannot raise the triple tree on the forks enough to compensate for more than about 1/4".

The good news is that this 2" change should equal about 4" more rear wheel travel. I'm not sure how that will affect chain slack...probably have to allow another 1" or 1.5" in slack. I cannot even guess how all that will play out in terms of keeping the chain on the sprockets.

If you do put a longer shock on the RX3 I'll be very interested in your feedback. Heck, you may well find that my concerns are for naught!