Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #16

So I need to move the clip up right? Should I move it up both slots or do you think one is enough? Thanks again guys.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHH 32 View Post
So I need to move the clip up right? Should I move it up both slots or do you think one is enough? Thanks again guys.
The default position is the middle slot. I have written at least a hundred times how to set one up. So, here is how I do it. I start by "centering" the carb. That means I check the float level, and make sure there is no machining swarf in the jets and float bowl. Assuming that is all 4-0, I set the idle fuel screw at 1 1/2 turns from bottomed out, and then set the needle in the middle slot. Now start the engine and set the idle SPEED screw at 1500-2000 rpm. Ride the bike, see how it runs. Don't change anything other then jets. Change pilot jets until you get a strong 1250-1450 idle. Once you get that, run the bike around town for at least 20 minutes, then go on a lightly trafficked 55 mph road, and go wide open up to 50-55 mph, and roll the throttle back 1/8th of a turn. If you feel a tiny surge, main jet is too lean, if its boggy, it's too rich. USE ONLY GENUINE MIKUNI JETS!!!ARH

Old 08-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #18

ARH, thank you for your time and expertise. Unfortunately, I got to tinkering before I saw your message and moved the needle clip up one slot. Might just be a band aid but the hesitation disappeared! Its amazing how moving the needle down such a miniscule amount could fix the problem.

Now to my next gremlin....the clutch.