Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2010, 05:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I've used gasoline on fires before, but I don't think I'd attempt it on a BBQ or fire I intended to eat off of... Just seems wrong.
I agree - seems a bad idea all round!

The worst cases with respect to injury are the people with a BBQ that is lit but not going well enough...
"I know... I'll just put some petrol on it to get it going properly" :roll:

This is about as good an idea as a biker saying "pass me a match ... I cann't see but I think the tank's empty"...

Frog

Old 06-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #17

I've got one that's probably worse...

We had a large burn pile at a warehouse / nursery I used to work at... We used some gas to get it going... It was going but not really well, still just starting out...

My friend who worked there, climbed up top and wanted me to pass him the bucket with gas in it so he could make it go better. I didn't let him learn the hard way... I made him get off the pile...

A side from that pouring gas ON TOP of the fire isn't going to help get it going, it's simply going to burn the gas... The gas needs to go on the bottom, so that it creates flame to ignite the "fuel" (wood / branches) above it.

He's a good guy, but that was among the stupidest things he ever wanted to do. 8O :roll:

Old 06-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim

We had a large burn pile at a warehouse / nursery I used to work at... We used some gas to get it going... It was going but not really well, still just starting out...

My friend who worked there, climbed up top and wanted me to pass him the bucket with gas in it so he could make it go better. I didn't let him learn the hard way... I made him get off the pile...

A side from that pouring gas ON TOP of the fire isn't going to help get it going, it's simply going to burn the gas... The gas needs to go on the bottom, so that it creates flame to ignite the "fuel" (wood / branches) above it.

He's a good guy, but that was among the stupidest things he ever wanted to do. 8O :roll:
8O

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim

My friend who worked there, climbed up top and wanted me to pass him the bucket with gas in it so he could make it go better.
We call that a "Hey ya'll, watch this" episode, here in the Emergency Room. :wink:

Good thing you made him get down.

Bill

Old 06-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
I would council very strongly against using gasoline to start fires (unless in a survival situation) - I worked as a nurse and saw the consequences of people trying to start bar-b- ques with petrol and its not pretty. 8O

Frog
Yep. I tried to light a brush pile on fire this Spring. 2nd degree burns over the entire back of my hand. It's not the fuel that gets you, its the vapour. Stop, drop, and roll isn't just for kids!

The skin grew back (and so did my eyebrows ) but I now rent a chipper.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 06-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #21

I use diesel for lighting my burn piles. VERY SAFE.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #22

There is a large area adjacent the Interstate near my house where some illeagle dumping had taken place over the years. Not trash, but dump truck loads of onwanted dirt and concrete. Lots of trees were groing in the mess too.
One day they showed up with alot of equipment and started leveling the land. In th lower back of the land they burried the concrete chunks and had a big trench that they pushed the wood pile into for burning. I stopped one evening to watch them pushing more wood into the trench. It was smoking pretty good but the flames had mostly subsided. The operator got out of the dozer and disconected a hydraulic line. He then sprayd hydraulic fluid at the fire and it looked like a flme thrower! A couple of minutes and the whole trench was ablaze!