Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #1

Honda SL125 to Lifan 200cc conversion project

So I restored a '71 Honda SL125 about 5 years ago and have done some multi day trips a few times on it. I ride a BMW R1200RT, but love riding this little honda just as much!! After I checked my compression and found it really low, I decided- what the heck- I might as well increase the displacement, add electronic ignition and get a newer technologically advanced motor- enter the Lifan 163FML 197cc engine..

Worked on this bad boy for several weeks now, due to fabricating a new battery box- the old one wouldn't work with the new motor's carb and air filter configuration. I also decided to completely rewire the bike and add a few relays for stronger headlight (LED) and several other farkles. I also added a KOSO speedo (TNT-01) that's probably meant for cafe racers, but I couldn't resist the mod. I'll need to fabricate a new exhaust- since the old one now won't fit the new engine.

I used a LIFAN wiring harness, which needed a few modifications to fit the bike, and really wasn't able to get a completely accurate wiring diagram. LifanUSA was no help here... When you order an engine, that about all you get- no instructions, no wiring diagram, no printed material whatsoever.... go figure.

Now I've got the wiring almost 90% completed, I have one last thing I'm trying to figure out.

Looks like one of the AC circuits is routed to the headlights. Since I have an LED projector type headlight (harley aftermarket 5.75" bucket and light from Amazon) I don't want AC, power and need to run it on 12V DC.

So I am wondering if I could get a higher powered regulator/rectifier and run the lighting circuit through that and maybe get more amperage in my charging system??? Kinda stumped for now. Any suggestions or help on this will be appreciated. Photos to follow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2682.jpg (96.3 KB, 2548 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2687.jpg (92.7 KB, 1818 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2702.jpg (94.2 KB, 1765 views)

Last edited by Azmon; 03-26-2018 at 05:54 PM.