Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
I'd rather see somone build an item rather than simply buy one
I like building some things myself so I get exactly what I need. :wink:

The little table is not meant to do heavy duty like pounding on or using it to bend stuff its just to hold small parts like a carb, air filter, battery, whatever and of course the nuts, bolts and screws as well as the tools I need for a given job.

I do have to make a brake for it because it rolls very easy.

I'm getting excited about this because I have dragged it around the yard up to my VW and it is just so damn handy having the tools right there and that was without the little table.
Out at the trails it should be very handy to do any quick adjustments or repairs.
It really just makes it fast and easy to do some things instead of having to lug the old jam packed toolbox around or keep walking back and forth to the toolbox.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #17

Thanks for the updates. Your project is coming along nicely.

If you have some angle laying around, and if it is deeper than the thickness of your ply, you could border the edge with it. Angle iron would help to stiffen and support the ply, and would give your work surface a perimeter that would capture small parts (that might otherwise try and make a break for it).

I'm visualizing the ply sitting inside an angle iron frame. It would also give you a steel surface to weld to on the underside, in case you choose to upgrade your hardware. One thing I turn to in projects like this is a weld-on hinge. If you point both hinges in the same direction, you can easily slide the table off without any additional hardware, although you might choose to add a quick release pin so that the table doesn't fall off.

My $0.02

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #18

Good idea's weldandgrind.

The angle iron around the edge was a thought but I am trying to keep the weight down since it will be going on the trailer and I have to watch just how much I load into it.
Funny thing is is that is exactly how I made my shed doors ohh about 15 years ago now and I made a steel frame for the jam plate and the hinges are welded on(I never did pin the doors though).

I may trim the edge with something to keep things from rolling on me, it is a concern.
I wish I had a fiberglas serving tray 26" square to use as the small table. :idea:

Right now the cart itself is surprizingly light so I'm happy (I'll try to get an actual reading sometime).

Hinges......... my hinges........ .................................
I just used two 3" slide bolts and I plan to put a clip through the barrel to keep the bolt from possibly backing out.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #19

Pics of my tooltote in use.

It works fine.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #20

I still don't see a "beverage"holder 8)

Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #21

I had one all along just not on the tooltote.

If you look at the second picture of the last three posted you'll notice my brown folding chair with the small side table and in that there is a can holder. :wink:

What it really needs is an engine and seat.