Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #256

Makes sense. Keeps people from abusing the collector status.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #257

You are also required to have another vehicle insured at the same time.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #258

At least you get to ride it to the store and for errands.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #259

You could ride it on vacation if you wish, just not to work.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-16-2011, 02:09 AM   #260

A bit more tinkering. I got new rear turn signals off ebay. Theya ren't exact replicas but very close.

The taillight is functioning a bit off. Maybe some of you electrical geniuses will have some insight? With the headlight on, the tail light and brake function properly. With the headlight off, the taillight remains on, but the brightness varies with engine RPM...

Old 05-16-2011, 03:05 AM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
...The taillight is functioning a bit off. Maybe some of you electrical geniuses will have some insight?...
Well, that leaves me out! :roll:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #262

Not an expert. Only guessing.

The voltage is not properly regulated to support just a taillight. The system requires a headlight and taillight to be on for the regulator to function. For comparison, Son of Weldangrind has an '83 XR200R, and the headlight will burn out very quickly if there is no taillight working with it.

It's all about load. Think about how signal lights will typically flash very quickly when one burns out; I believe that's because the flasher is designed for more load downstream.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #263

Thanks for the insight.

On the HondaTwins forum I got this response
"Alternator enrtopy the magnet can decay over time or if it has been vibrated. I am pretty sure that its the same design on the alternator coils as the 450, with just one pair used during normal ignition. The 3 pairs come into play when the headlamp is swiched on."

Old 06-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #264

Got my collector plates. It was pouring rain, but I took it for a spin up and down the road, seems to be quite nice to ride. Now I need to decide if I want to sell my 05 kawi vulcan 800. I can't justify owning 2 really. If I could get $4000 or $4500 that would be a nice chunk off the mortgage... Another step towards freedom...

Old 06-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #265

Congrats on getting the collector plates!

Were they very fussy about the details? Did the bike have to have exactly the right controls, etc? Does the paint have to appear near perfect?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #266

I believe so, but I just sent in 4 pictures and they sent the plates back.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #267

Did some more riding today. It started out better but deteriorated as time went on. The bike would sputter more and more, and then eventually stalled out. It took a while but got it going again, and made it almost home before it died again. The battery is dead, it doesn't seem to be charging, I don't know a lot about it, but I'm going to look through the book and see... My guess is that the charging system isn't working and not giving a reliable spark maybe? I don't really know what I'm talking about but I know the battery isn't charged.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 AM   #268

I posted the following on the Honda twins forum.

I'm going to read through my shop manual in the relevant sections. The bike is still stored at my parents place so I will just be getting to it when I have a chance to get over there.

I guess the parts I need to look at are the rectifier, and the stator / generator most likely?

I'm reading over this one too http://www.dansmc.com/electricaltesting.htm

edit:

After reading the above, and in my shop manual, I am think the most likely problem is either the rectifier, alternator stator, or alternator rotor. I'm thinking more likely the stator or rectifier, but I will check to make sure the rotor is still magnetized.

I do recall the stator was discolored on the bottom half from the cruddy varnish oil it was bathing in for the last who knows how many years....

Aside from the charging issue / sputtering, the bike is quite nice to ride. I'm pretty sure the seat is more comfortable then my 05 vulcan. The bike is a little buzzy at certain rpm's but not really bad. My mirrors aren't the greatest. I got replacements from JC Whitney, the glass is rubber mounted in the housing but not very tight so they vibrate at speed. They only cost me $5 for both shipped though so I can't complain. The left fork seems to be leaking a bit of oil so I guess I will have to take it off and do the seals. Steering is good with only original bearings being cleaned up. The tires are really nice. The brakes work really well, I was concerned about the front one it felt a bit snug going on but it seems to work good.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #269

I think I have a spare stator and flywheel from a 6 volt XL that you're welcome to troubleshoot with.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #270

I replied to Weld in a private message in case anyone was wondering, I wasn't ignoring him :P

Anyways, the bike is 12 volt.

I put a new rectifier on it, I bought a 35amp bridge rectifier from an electronics store for $3.79. Beats the over one hundred dollars Honda wanted for one... I think it may be charging enough now to work, but even with the battery fully charged it was still sputtering.

We pulled the plugs and the right plug was black. We cleaned it up and fiddled a bit, but it's still sputtering and backfiring now as well. Need to fiddle with the carbs a bit and the points I think... The left carb float needs tweaking too I guess because it leaks out the drain tube.

I also noticed the chain is rubbing on the center stand when it's in the up position so I will need to modify the stop for it.