Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #226

Here are some more photographs of my completed battery relocation.

Here's the obligatory, 6 o'clock view showing the missing battery box.

The Shorai battery cranks the engine very well, and I love having the bike 9 pounds lighter!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #227

The high temperature surpassed 50 degrees Fahrenheit today, so I went for a ride, and took some photographs. Here is the condition of my Maxxis, Maxx Cross, IT rear tire after riding 300 miles on pavement.

I have discovered the Maxx Cross, IT rear tire grips well in the mud.

The Maxxis IT tire also cleans itself very well.

My CST, Surge I, front tire grips well in all conditions, and is showing very little wear after 600 miles on pavement.

After riding 100 miles today, I was very happy to clean a few bugs off my helmet visor! You might fool men, but you can’t fool the bugs; spring is just around the corner!

I’m also pleased to report my Shorai battery cranks the XR650L engine hard, and starts the bike easily. I am very pleased with the results from my Shorai battery relocation.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #228

Spud, for all the beautiful pictures we members share here I don't think anyone has as beautiful a riding area as you do. You are blessed .

The Maxxis looks like a good tire, good grip on and off road, and it seems to be holding up well. I bet that motor can tear a tire to bits in no time 8O . You have good restraint! God knows I can't stay out of the throttle on the 650's. I already plan to be buying Rand new tires... :P

Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Spud, for all the beautiful pictures we members share here I don't think anyone has as beautiful a riding area as you do. You are blessed ...
Thank you, Doc. Indeed, I consider myself blessed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
...The Maxxis looks like a good tire, good grip on and off road, and it seems to be holding up well. I bet that motor can tear a tire to bits in no time 8O . You have good restraint! God knows I can't stay out of the throttle on the 650's. I already plan to be buying Rand new tires... :P
Indeed, the temptation is great. I had the BRP up to 85 mph several times today, Doc. I hope the Maxxis, IT rear tire continues to wear well; I enjoy the traction it offers off road.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #230

I'm pleased to report my Shorai battery is working great; it cranks the engine hard, and my XR650L starts easily. Several days ago I installed an XR600R, left side cover.

I now consider my Shorai battery relocation to be complete.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #231

It looks great Spud. Less "L" and more "R" all the time.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Thank you, WaG. The "pig" keeps getting lighter, and easier to handle. I have removed a lot of weight from this bike, and I can remove a bit more. I need to actually weigh the items I removed. However, here are the weight loss estimates for my BRP.

Removed SMOG tumors: 2 pounds, 4 ounces
Removed engine guard: 2 pounds, 8 ounces
Removed passenger pegs: 1 pound, 8 ounces
Removed stock tail light: 2 pounds
Removed steel fuel tank and “elephant ears:” 5 pounds
Relocated Shorai battery: 9 pounds

Added luggage rack, and skid plate.

Total weight loss: approximately 18 pounds

I am going to install an FMF, Hi-Flo, exhaust header, which might shed an additional pound. I am also considering installing an FMF, PowerCore 4 muffler, which would drop another 2 pounds from the bike.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-18-2011, 01:07 AM   #233

Are you going to choose the FMF with the Power Bomb?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #234

Quote:
Are you going to choose the FMF with the Power Bomb?
No, I already purchased the "Hi-Flo," exhaust header. I primarily bought the stainless steel, exhaust header for looks, and easier maintenance. I hate trying to clean mud that is baked onto the exhaust header. :evil: The mud hoses right off the stainless steel header, and it looks much better, in general. Therefore, I wasn't concerned about any increased performance I might get from the "Power Bomb" header, which is much more expensive.

I haven't decided to purchase the FMF muffler; I'm still trying to make up my mind about it. I really enjoy the low maintenance, and quiet operation of the stock muffler. However, some mud also bakes onto the stock muffler, and it is ugly. I would get improved performance, easier maintenance, and better looks from the FMF muffler. I would also shed another 2 pounds from the "pig" by installing the FMF, PowerCore 4 muffler.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #235

I would be remiss if I did not mention the Achilles Heel of the XR650L is its countershaft. :(

I frequently examine the countershaft splines on my XR650L. However, I admit, my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be. Advancing into middle age, I’ve acquired presbyopia. The last time I inspected the countershaft splines, they appeared quite good to my unaided eyes. Therefore, after I greased the countershaft splines, I took a few photographs, and went riding. :roll:

However, I had noticed a hint of rust on both the countershaft, and the sprocket. Rapidly approaching 10,000 miles on my bike’s odometer, my nagging conscience prompted me to examine the photographs I had taken. Closely examining the macro photos, I thought I detected some countershaft spline wear. :?

Therefore, I went outside, removed some grease, and examined the countershaft with a magnifying glass. Indeed, I discovered the countershaft splines were beginning to wear. 8O

Closely examining the Parts Unlimited sprocket I had just removed, I believe I also detected some wear on the trailing edges of the inside teeth. :roll:

I am determined to stop this wear! I also admire the great philosopher, Deputy Barney Fife. Therefore, I have decided to “nip it in the bud!” :twisted:

XR650R, countershaft sprockets have 60 percent more contact area with the countershaft than XR650L, countershaft sprockets. I had planned to wait until my current countershaft sprocket needed replacement before switching to XR650R, countershaft sprockets. However, heeding the sage advice of Deputy Barney Fife, I now decided to act immediately! 8)

I had shortened my drive chain to 108 links with my current 13T/45T sprocket combination. Therefore, I needed to acquire a 13T, XR650R, countershaft sprocket as quickly as possible. I did some research, and discovered I could obtain a 13T, PBI sprocket in 24 hours; I took the plunge. The photograph below confirms the XR650R countershaft sprocket has much more contact area with the countershaft than the XR650L countershaft sprocket.

Mounted backwards, the sprocket teeth of the XR650R sprocket are 2.5 mm farther from the engine. Based upon the experience of others, I don’t think this will present a problem. In any event, I am perfectly willing to accept greater sprocket wear, and/or greater drive chain wear, rather than any additional wear on the countershaft splines! Remember Deputy Fife!

I needed to tap lightly on the PBI sprocket with a hammer to allow me to install the sprocket retainer. Heeding a prior admonition regarding PBI sprockets, I examined the alignment of the sprocket retainer. The alignment isn’t perfect, but it should be robust enough.

I went for a ride, and everything felt good. I will routinely inspect the drive chain, and both sprockets for unusual wear. More importantly, I am going to routinely inspect the countershaft splines under magnification to ensure I have stopped the wear, and “nipped it in the bud.”

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #236

I wonder why Honda decided to use the thicker sprocket on the R and not the L from the factory.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #237

Thanks for that report Spud. It would appear that the ultimate solution would be to mill 0.10" from the new sprocket to perfect the fit. Do I understand that correctly?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #238

Quote:
Agreed. The BRP is much less 'Big' since you got a hold of it. It looks great . More like an immense Dirt Bike With Lights all the time :P . I'm pleased to see the precice documentation of the weight reduction! I like the flat side panel. I was surprised to see how much the passenger foot pegs weighed. 8O

In Andy's shop I picked up a pair of aluminum Moose bars last night. They were very light! :idea:

Old 03-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I wonder why Honda decided to use the thicker sprocket on the R and not the L from the factory.
Honda "screwed up" when they designed the XR650L countershaft; there is no other logical explanation. The XR650R motorcycle is a later design, and I think Honda admitted the error when they redesigned the larger XR650R countershaft. However, Honda never bothered to fix the problem on the XR650L. :roll:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #240

Quote:
Thanks for that report Spud. It would appear that the ultimate solution would be to mill 0.10" from the new sprocket to perfect the fit. Do I understand that correctly?
Yes, as usual, you are correct Brother Derryk.

Honda really should have redesigned the weak, XR650L countershaft. However, the cheapest solution for Honda would be to redesign the XR650L countershaft sprocket as you suggested.

Fortunately, several XR650L owners have experimented with the XR650R countershaft sprocket, and discovered no unusual wear on the drive train. Apparently, enough free play exists in the drive train for one to safely employ an unmodified, XR650R countershaft sprocket. I would strongly encourage all XR650L owners to remove the XR650L countershaft sprocket, and substitute the beefier, XR650R countershaft sprocket.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220