Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2016, 12:49 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
So the wheels can be ordered from the AKT Factory in Columbia? Do you know what the cost would be? How about shipping charges to the USA?
They are 17" wheels? Will they mount directly to the CSC TT250 bike, or must the calipers be realigned? Any other problems, parts needed, or mounting problems?
Thanks for the answers.
I'm not sure. I suggest you send a personal message to CSCDude. Perhaps he can answer your questions. If the AKT supermoto wheels are compatible with the CSC TT250 forks, there is a possibility that CSC might import the wheels from Colombia. However, I am only speculating on this matter, and don't know for sure. I'm sure CSCDude, can provide you with better answers than I.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
It does appear the AKT bike lacks the engine counter balancer.
I would rather have the engine with the counter balancer. I'm sure it must make a difference especially at higher rpms. CSC and or Zong must have requested the higher line engine for export to the USA?
So maybe the CSC and the AKT engines are built/selected to fit the economy (buying power) of the corresponding country. Higher income countries receive more advanced and more expensive products. Like the fuel injection/carb differences in the RX-3s in USA and Columbia.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #213

I believe AKT chose a carburetor for their TT Adventour 250 (RX3) because of poor fuel quality in Colombia. However, choosing a carburetor also reduces cost in countries where emissions standards are not as stringent.

The CSC TT250 is manufactured by Zongshen, and has a Zongshen engine. Some, perhaps all, of the Hawk bikes have engines from other manufacturers, and none of the Hawk bikes are manufactured by Zongshen. Apparently the Hawk version sold by AKT in Columbia is either not manufactured by Zongshen, or AKt selected a Zongshen engine without the counter balancer.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #214

It might be a maintenance decision. A counter-balancer takes an anvil-simple design and adds complexity, and eventually repairs.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #215

balanced

Weld, wouldn't the extra mass spinning round act a lot like a larger flywheel? I can see it working for the high rpm road guys, but for near trials like trail work over rough country, seems likely the reg motor would give a bit snappier torque performance when u need it. imho. 6assuming the specs given are accurrate, big assumption, the zong motor looks tuned for higher rpm hp w lower bottom end torque, while the hawk motor looks setup for bottom end torque and less high end hp. i can tell u from riding the hawk, for a 250, its a stump puller down low. i think the some storms have that balanced zong motor. I'd be interested in hearing what they think.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 01-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
...assuming the specs given are accurrate, big assumption, the zong motor looks tuned for higher rpm hp w lower bottom end torque, while the hawk motor looks setup for bottom end torque and less high end hp. i can tell u from riding the hawk, for a 250, its a stump puller down low. i think the some storms have that balanced zong motor. I'd be interested in hearing what they think.
I'd be very surprised if the internal gearing is different. CSC merely went with a 17T C/S sprocket to make the bike more pavement friendly. Most CB owners do the same shortly after acquiring these bikes.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #217

Is the Zong counter-balancer chain or gear driven?

Why would the counter-balancer on the Zong engine be maintenance intensive?
Is it gear driven (steel teeth engaging steel teeth) or chain driven (sprockets and chain)? If it's gear driven what is the additional maintenance required? If chain driven, is there a tensioner that needs periodic adjustments or replacement? And what is the frequency of such adjustments?
Just curious.
I would still go for the inclusion of a counter-balancer in the engine of my bike.
Vibration free smoothness is nice, especially on long distance journeys.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #218

It all boils down to what are you going to do with the bike. Not very many things work perfect for all applications. I would probably go for a ba!ancer engine for sustained highway use and non balancer for trail riding.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
Weld, wouldn't the extra mass spinning round act a lot like a larger flywheel?
I hadn't considered that. Off the top of my bald head, I'd figure that the counter balancer would spin in the opposite direction of the crank (hence the name). Perhaps that would negate the extra mass. Dunno.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #220

Quote:
Why would the counter-balancer on the Zong engine be maintenance intensive?.
Never said that. I only said it would add maintenance.

Quote:
Is it gear driven (steel teeth engaging steel teeth) or chain driven (sprockets and chain)? If it's gear driven what is the additional maintenance required? If chain driven, is there a tensioner that needs periodic adjustments or replacement? And what is the frequency of such adjustments?
I have no first-hand knowledge of the setup. I'm going off of what one of our members told me, and he's looking for a replacement drive chain for his counter-balancer. I only presume that the tensioner is spring loaded, perhaps like the old XL250S motors.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #221

additional inertial mass such as a heavy flywheel will improve torque but slow the responsiveness. it might be a little less rev happy, you'd have a more noticeable effect from lighter rims and tires. than from dropping the balance shaft.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 01-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #222

The Lifan and other CG clones with a balance shaft are gear driven. In order to do that the manufacturer had to move the oil pump down out of the way and drive it with a small chain. After over 50,000 miles that chain is worn on my Lifan 200 and I have been unable to find a replacement. Probably not many people put that many miles on a small bike so I would't let that influence my purchase decision.

BTW my Zongshen CG200 non balance shaft engine is nearly as smooth as the balance shaft Lifan CG200. The reason could be the Zong engine's bigger bore and shorter stroke.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:51 AM   #223

Thanks for chiming in, Mudflap. I couldn't recall who had the chain issue. Thanks also for setting me straight that it's the oil pump drive chain.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
The Lifan and other CG clones with a balance shaft are gear driven. In order to do that the manufacturer had to move the oil pump down out of the way and drive it with a small chain. After over 50,000 miles that chain is worn on my Lifan 200 and I have been unable to find a replacement. Probably not many people put that many miles on a small bike so I would't let that influence my purchase decision.

BTW my Zongshen CG200 non balance shaft engine is nearly as smooth as the balance shaft Lifan CG200. The reason could be the Zong engine's bigger bore and shorter stroke.
can you get a set of calipers on the chain to take all the critical measurements? (length of link, height of link, length pin to pin, outside width of link, inside width of link or roller width, roller diameter) for cost reasons it really shouldn't be a non-standard link size so should be able to at least get a section of chain the correct number of links and make a custom chain.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 01-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #225

Just saw an update on the CSC blog on the TT. Says production slated for early March. Not looking good to pick the bike up in mid March after the RX3 Baja ride.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=19601

Also looks like the Columbia headlight cage will be made available soon for the RX3.

Rojo