Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #181

Re: pivot shim

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynec
W&G..not sure if I am posting this pic right.....bet here it is
Looks like you did the same thing as me, by using washers to take up the gap between the control arms and brackets. Thanks for the pic.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

I gather that there was a subtle hint in there...

I have a CV carb that has an electric choke, but it is sized for a 150. I'm going to install the bigger Mikuni and experiment with that instead.
I watched you buy it........... it should be 27mm? Certainly not far off the 30mm Mukini? (if I had a spigot mount handy I would give it a try)
Nah, the CV is reserved as a spare for my daughter's Monster. Besides, I've heard good things about the Mikuni, and I already have one.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynec
Odd thing today.........I bid on a rear performance shock for the beast right from hour one.....not one other bid for the next 20 hours and the bid closed on my initial offer. I though that would have been a hot item as they have been b/o'd for awhile.
Last thing I expected
waynec
I saw you and left you alone. Good thing you shared your Gio username.

I managed to get front shocks and carb today, so now I'm after exhaust and a rear shock. Trying to decide if I should just go balls out or wait to see if I like these front shocks first, and how it runs without perf exhaust..

Old 10-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #184

I have the exhaust coming as well and wil let you know. I read a review that suggested the perf exhaust was not louder which is what I wanted....I now read one that claims it is louder. Time will tell.

waynec

Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #185

I have it on mine and was expecting the same thing, but it is not louder at all, and does not add any hp. it is just looks from what I can tell. My bud says its sounds a bit deeper but no real difference other then looks.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #186

I already wrote my impressions earlier, but this is a beast of a thread (OK OK shoot me now) It is quieter than stock at low to mid rpm and a little louder when you are revving the snot out of it.

The sound is different though. Standard ATV putt-putt-putt sound is gone. My beast sounded just like any other quad I've owned with a stock muffler but with the performance pipe its more of a drone than putt-putt.

Now, is this all in my head, or am I trying to justify a whopping 27 buck purchase? No, I promise you. On the other hand, I have the Mikuni on now and my idle is slightly higher, but it still sounds different.

The muffler has a large chrome exit pipe diameter, but it conceals a much smaller standard size pipe inside (unlike say the Monster performance exhaust).

Yes, it does look good on the bike in my opinion.

Would I buy it again? Yes, if only to get rid of the farting putt-putt sound which i've never liked and the fact it really sets off the ass end of the bike.

Anyway, Weldangrind gave me a good idea for an exhaust modification and if it works out I will post it here of course. Right now I dont have the parts to see if things will even bolt up and even if they do, I expect the sound to be somewhat obnoxious.

Cheers

Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #187

Wondering if this is like the longest ATV thread in China Riders history??

Old 10-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #188

Lol! Could be... I would call that a good thread!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #189

Don't worry about having to drop your seat to brake that front tab off, from riding the other day mine is somehow broke now too, time to re-engineer the wheel.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Don't worry about having to drop your seat to brake that front tab off, from riding the other day mine is somehow broke now too, time to re-engineer the wheel.
Ah dang, srry to hear. Too much stress on a weak area I guess.

If i were to do it over, instead of running a length of aluminium stapping longways, I would run two smaller ones crossways, one bolt each, the fiberglass the snot out of it. Much more support that way.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #191

Oh, forgot to mention, I unfolded the Beast cover today.
Material is about what you'd expect for the coin.

Great for keeping sawdust and crap off if the bike is in your garage, but i suspect it would die a quick death in the snow and ice.

It will also double as an 8 man tent. It covers both the beast and mini ATV with room to spare.

Its HUGE!

It may do a small car, a smartie for sure.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #192

Re: MIKUNI CARB UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
The performance Mikuni comes with no choke return spring or choke cable bracket arm.

I have read others and they say you must use the Mikuni manually.

Not So.

I have just swapped the return spring and bracket arm to the Mikuni from the stocker. You CANNOT use the stock black plastic choke lever, however the Mikuni lever has a flat area on the back for the spring to locate on.

It takes a little fooling around, but not much.

I now have the performance Mikuni on and the choke lever on the bars works just like it did with the stock carb.

Cheers!

Pete
You're the King Pete.

T and I found out today just how simple it is to install the choke cable on his Mikuni. All I did was remove the stock detent clip and transfer the choke bracket to the Mikuni. Simple. The Mikuni lever was even designed to accept the cable. The choke cable on T's Beast works much better than on the stock carb on my Beast.

Once we're done with mods to T's Beast, mine will begin. 8) We've installed the carb, filter, fuel valve and new fuel line so far. Next will be a performance exhaust and CDI. We also had tubes installed in his rear tires to defeat the nagging bead problem.

BTW, the 1 3/4" Uni was the perfect choice; you'll love it. All we needed to do was trim a little plastic off of the leading edge of the battery box for filter clearance.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:56 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
The performance Mikuni comes with no choke return spring or choke cable bracket arm.

I have read others and they say you must use the Mikuni manually.

Not So.

I have just swapped the return spring and bracket arm to the Mikuni from the stocker. You CANNOT use the stock black plastic choke lever, however the Mikuni lever has a flat area on the back for the spring to locate on.

It takes a little fooling around, but not much.

I now have the performance Mikuni on and the choke lever on the bars works just like it did with the stock carb.

Cheers!

Pete
You're the King Pete.

T and I found out today just how simple it is to install the choke cable on his Mikuni. All I did was remove the stock detent clip and transfer the choke bracket to the Mikuni. Simple. The Mikuni lever was even designed to accept the cable. The choke cable on T's Beast works much better than on the stock carb on my Beast.

Once we're done with mods to T's Beast, mine will begin. 8) We've installed the carb, filter, fuel valve and new fuel line so far. Next will be a performance exhaust and CDI. We also had tubes installed in his rear tires to defeat the nagging bead problem.

BTW, the 1 3/4" Uni was the perfect choice; you'll love it. All we needed to do was trim a little plastic off of the leading edge of the battery box for filter clearance.
Yes, the bracket swap was one of those "My god it worked fine" moments and I've had no trouble with it since. Its needed as well. This motor likes choke if its cold (outside). Needs a few minutes on full, another 5 on half, OR you can get on your bike and ride at half choke then turn it off after a few minutes.

No problems with tire beads yet...of course now I'll go out to the garage for a smoke () and find em both flat.

Save yourself the trouble (I know you wont, but I had to try) and just install the Monster pipe. I wouldnt put the beast one back on unless it was the only can I had laying around.

I seem to have a split second stumble (again) after putting it on, but I also put a 125cc air filter on so who knows...probably a little minor adjustment needed again.

I built a 327 once, one of the rare 350hp vette ones. 2.02 heads plus some porting..semi hi-rise, cam, lifters, pistons, rods, crank, more or less everything. I would venture to say it ended up around 450-475 at the crank.

I had a dual pump, dual feed 750 Holley on it (Rochester style with small front barrels/butterflys and rears that would suck in low flying birds).

I could never get rid that same split second hesitation (even had a dual point distrib.) but I know it was a bit much..a 650 would have been far better.
Mounting the UNI will be a challenge, trust me.

I saw the sky today .....you know from the pic of the mini that my driveway has a slight slope, well, I got the revs up just a bit and then punched it into second (I have a spare clutch, I dare it to grenade, who cares) and hammered it. My neighbour said it was at 45 degrees until I mashed the rear brake and slammed the front end down. I have to play like that because I cant run wide open down the (road-trail-take your pick) because Im afraid its going to blow up. It doesnt top out, it just keeps going. Thats another reason Im loathe to fiddle any more with the carb. Dont want to lose what I've got .

EDIT: Mini ATV casualties after 1/2 day of abuse (I know my kid)..chain gaurd (snapped bolt), coil hanger bracket (snapped), side panel fell off never to be found again...so all in all, not too bad.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #194

Does it still need that much warm-up time, even with the Monster pipe?

Once you get the Uni installed, hopefully the stumble will disappear. If not, I'd close the air / fuel screw by 1/4 turn and try again (with it fully warmed up). It sounds like too much fuel in the transition to the main circuit.

I always wanted to build a 427; Smokey said that long rods are the way to go, and the rod / stroke ratio is theoretically perfect at 1.75:1. I agree that a 650 would have likely solved the stumble; that or a leaner set of jets. The truth is that a 327 can't gobble 750cfm anyway.

Are you saying that your Beast keeps going? Do you attribute the racing CDI to that?

Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

I saw the sky today .....you know from the pic of the mini that my driveway has a slight slope, well, I got the revs up just a bit and then punched it into second (I have a spare clutch, I dare it to grenade, who cares) and hammered it. My neighbour said it was at 45 degrees until I mashed the rear brake and slammed the front end down. I have to play like that because I cant run wide open down the (road-trail-take your pick) because Im afraid its going to blow up. It doesnt top out, it just keeps going. Thats another reason Im loathe to fiddle any more with the carb. Dont want to lose what I've got .

EDIT: Mini ATV casualties after 1/2 day of abuse (I know my kid)..chain gaurd (snapped bolt), coil hanger bracket (snapped), side panel fell off never to be found again...so all in all, not too bad.
It was a matter of time before the chain guard broke off, those things are flimsy, but mine are off already and I have little kids who know nothing of abusing powersports products yet.

Sounds cool in the driveway. Hope you had your lid on. Funny how you mention worry of the motor blowing.. I've never been too concerned with the motors, but feel the frame is going to rattle apart before the motor sends the piston into your nuts.