Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #1816

Been pecking away at the bike for the past few evenings, there's not a bolt that hasn't been checked or loctited. The carburetor has been relieved of all it's tamperproof crap, just waiting on my jet kit to get here so I can fatten it up a bit. The jets were supposed to be delivered Friday, but are currently lost in the USPS vortex..

I pondered how to deal with the rear light wiring that runs exposed under the fender. My OCD would never allow me to secure it with gorilla tape or drill holes in the plastics for zip ties, so I came up with my own approach after studying the situation over a few beers.. Made a cardboard pattern of a nice bracket that would mount under the bolt that secures the rear rack. Took the pattern out to the garage and pulled a small piece of 1/16" thick aluminum sheet from my scrap pile, transferred the pattern and fired up the plasma cutter and had a bracket blank in less than 5 minutes. A bit of hammer work shaping it over a steel rod, dressed the edges with a grinder, and drilled a hole to mount it, then went in for a test fit on the bike.
100_3319 by cc_john67, on Flickr

100_3320 by cc_john67, on Flickr

Gave it a coat of Zinc Chromate primer, and a couple coats of semi-gloss Rustoleum and it was ready for final installation. All the plug connectors were shot full of LPS 3 anti corrosion coating and everything placed in split loom. Don't think I'll be having any issues with the rear light wiring for a while.

100_3322 by cc_john67, on Flickr

100_3323 by cc_john67, on Flickr

Broke out the roll of gasket material and cut a gasket for the intake manifold as I've never been too keen on those molded rubber manifolds. That little bead of rubber that they leave "proud" of the flange surface always seems to end up leaking over time..

100_3321 by cc_john67, on Flickr

During the wire harness inspection and cleanup, I cut over 14" extra inches of wire off the solenoid to starter wire. The extra was just looped over the harness and secured with zipties. It now makes a straight path from the solenoid to the starter, along with moving the main battery ground from up on the cylinder head to down under one of the starter mounting bolts. Now the starter effortlessly spins the engine over, even with the crappy battery the bike was shipped with.

100_3324 by cc_john67, on Flickr

Hoping my MSO/BOS will show up early next week so I can start the ball rolling on getting it insured, inspected, and registered..

2024 Templar 250 X
2018 Nissan Frontier (work truck)
2006 Ford F-150 Crew cab (play truck)
1973 Century Resorter 16 (Floating Muscle Car)