Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #1786

This is the river in front of my camp ,not very wide at all ,yet it’s 35 ft deep about 5ft from the shoreline .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D89E6A09-D6CC-461F-8623-6A8A13EB05BD.jpg (16.1 KB, 150 views)

Old 10-24-2018, 05:53 PM   #1787

Plaued with a welder today at work... rewelded a main dipperstick bushing for a backhoe... for size revmferebce the pin is a 1.25"diameter pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181024_161625.jpg (94.9 KB, 129 views)

Old 11-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #1788

What awaited me in Miami this past Monday.

Told the customer I'm not working on it anymore if someone works on it before I get there.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 11-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
What awaited me in Miami this past Monday.

Told the customer I'm not working on it anymore if someone works on it before I get there.
what the heck is that mess?

Old 11-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #1790

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDukeSix View Post
what the heck is that mess?
What happens when someone who knows just enough about automotive DC to be dangerous. It’s the dash panel of a 1998 Geismar KGT4RS hi rail crane that I commissioned new. A relay fails, they bypass it. Scotchblocs everywhere. I replaced the alternator Thursday. They had a hole in the exhaust pipe that was blowing hot gas on the back of the alternator and cooked it. I had to work with what I had so I cut up a Coke can and secured it over the hole with mechanics wire. They tell me they have no manuals for the machine but I know better. Went in the supervisors file cabinet and pulled three new manuals, still wrapped in plastic, and slammed them down on his desk. RTFM!!!

I can have a very long rant about this certain place.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 11-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #1791

My condolences cheesy for having to deal with this location. Seems like a true test of one's patience. How far do you travel to reach the site?
I love Scotchblocs but rarely use them.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #1792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
My condolences cheesy for having to deal with this location. Seems like a true test of one's patience. How far do you travel to reach the site?
I love Scotchblocs but rarely use them.
Three hour plane ride and a hour drive from the airport. I do like the people there but I have seen the place go farther downhill with every new iteration of Management. Part of the reason things are like they are is an onerous procurement system. As with the relay, instead of someone running down the street to NAPA and buying one with petty cash, they have to request the part through procurement. Procurement then runs their Vogon process which can take up to a year to get a $5 relay that ends up costing $75. So instead of fixing things correctly, they either jerryrig or do nothing and wait until I come back.

We have a similar system at GNA but I just bypass it to get the job done. I’d rather have a happy customer than a smug bureaucrat.

Prefer solder and heat shrink to Scotchblocs. Less headaches down the line.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 11-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #1793

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
... instead of someone running down the street to NAPA and buying one with petty cash, they have to request the part through procurement. Procurement then runs their Vogon process which can take up to a year to get a $5 relay that ends up costing $75...
Man, I love "business processes"! I also especially love the, hmmm... "people", that explain them usually with a nice PowerPoint presentation. Such presentations and meetings almost always fill me with love, tranquility and optimism for the future.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasi_BG View Post
Man, I love "business processes"! I also especially love the, hmmm... "people", that explain them usually with a nice PowerPoint presentation. Such presentations and meetings almost always fill me with love, tranquility and optimism for the future.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 11-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #1795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasi_BG View Post
You must have been to a few meetings at my workplace....
We even have a monthly meeting on how to have meetings....
Bill R

Old 11-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #1796

While putt-putting around in the Old Man Mountains of Arizona yesterday on the Rhinos we came across this group of sheep. I rarely see them down here and usually they run off when we approach but this group was curious and came over to check us out.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #1797

I built this building myself from an idea. I've had no help except my girl handing me tools and holding things in position. I did the gable end siding on my building yesterday. I thought it looked pretty ok. Everything primed and pre-painted. Now it needs a finish coat, trim, soffit, and facia. Then onto the rest of the siding. Weather permitting I'll get a little more work done before dark today. Slow but steady progress.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #1798

That looks like a nice little building Ben ,but in Canada we put the siding on starting from the bottom ! .
Whats the purpose of the blocking in the walls ,is it because you are not sheeting the walls or ? We don’t do that around here either ,just the floors .

Old 11-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #1799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
That looks like a nice little building Ben ,but in Canada we put the siding on starting from the bottom ! .
Whats the purpose of the blocking in the walls ,is it because you are not sheeting the walls or ? We don’t do that around here either ,just the floors .

Our building practices are similar to Canada. Normally I would build the walls, sheath them with OSB or siding, stand them up, level them, run my top connector plate, and fasten them down. Then install the roof end trusses with sheathing or siding on them, run the center trusses, install the roofing, install the windows/door(s), and finish trim. When I started my building, they didn't have the siding I wanted at the time. It was on back order and eventually went NLA. Instead of waiting I started building with the intention of adding the siding before installing the roof trusses. Again, this was during the time the siding was on back order. I had yet to find out the siding would no longer be avaiable. So to stiffen the walls, I installed blocking before setting the roof trusses. The blocking can be removed once the siding goes up, or left in place. I consider the blocking a band-aid solution. If I would have had the siding to install, the wall would have been very stiff with little to no racking. I wish it would have worked out that way. I should have moved on and purchased a similar siding before building the walls. I got lucky and found this Brown Ind. knotty simulated ship lap engineered sheet siding for a good price. $22 a sheet with a 5% discount over 10 sheets. I needed 18 to finish the building. I think it shakes out to a little less than $19 a sheet with the additional 5% from using my credit card to make the purchase.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #1800

Sunset on Crescent Lake, ME. We rented a place on the lake with the whole fam damily for Turkey Day. Supposed to be a winter storm tomorrow, so should see how much ‘togetherness’ we can handle. My rope’s already starting to fray and we are here until Saturday.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800