Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Could be but my goal is to not spend money on this bike. I'm still upset with myself for buying $40 of hoses and clamps I didn't need... It's a philosophical thing... :wink:

I actually think the bike is jetted OK, and if anything fat or with very little enricher. Because it starts easy and runs well I will leave it to the next owner to modify.

I continue to debate whether to add aa Vapor or just leave it with an inop temp gauge. I removed and straightened the skid plate yesterday and inspected that the bottom of the motor and frame are unscathed.

FWIW I'm happy to eport that's all that's wrong with the bike and it iperates well. I should turn 1,000 miles today.
Well, if you're not going to keep the bike, then what's the point.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #152

pp400

Yes its always a good day when you learn something useful,,,,an imaginery middle finger salute to pitster and xingyue canada for never gettin back to me about this.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #153

Is your bike good to ride now? The PP400 is really a GREAT trailbike/commuter to ride.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #154

pp400

yea ,should be good to go now, was not ridin it much do to the hose being cracked,,go figure I just finished it rode it round the yard and its startin to rain which all its been doing for weeks here in the northeast. DOc at least spring for a one tooth bigger front sprocket or tell me which one it is and I'll do it and report back. The spring insde the hose worked amazing , and once i got the spring streched to the entire length of the hose worked without any kinks,, I'll try and get a pic when i have time.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #155

Re: pp400

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10
i fixed my pp400 bottom radiator hose. First I tried what others had suggested and cut a little off each end to get behind the rotten area and reinstall. This did NOT work it barely fit back on and was too close to the exhaust now.So while I was getting the zong inspected I showed the scruffy old mechanic the pp400 hose and explained what I wanted to do. He sold me a 14'' of 3/4 heater hose and told me to go to the hardware store and buy a long loosely wound spring that would fit inside the hose and then i could bend it any which way i want.So $5.00 later its fixed its good to ask the old timers they have alot of wisdom.Believe this hose is not that long and has some pretty serious bends in it and NO WAY it would work without the spring inside to keep it from kinking or going the route with the elbows!
There is no substitute for experience. Thanks for passing along the tip, Fish.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #156

I think this is it. I think we run a 14 stock and it looks like a 15 will fit fine.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html...el_uid=5058&p=

Old 04-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #157

Quote:
i fixed my pp400 bottom radiator hose. First I tried what others had suggested and cut a little off each end to get behind the rotten area and reinstall. This did NOT work it barely fit back on and was too close to the exhaust now.So while I was getting the zong inspected I showed the scruffy old mechanic the pp400 hose and explained what I wanted to do. He sold me a 14'' of 3/4 heater hose and told me to go to the hardware store and buy a long loosely wound spring that would fit inside the hose and then i could bend it any which way i want.So $5.00 later its fixed its good to ask the old timers they have alot of wisdom.Believe this hose is not that long and has some pretty serious bends in it and NO WAY it would work without the spring inside to keep it from kinking or going the route with the elbows!
Fish, spring steel is not normally stainless, so I'm concerned about two things: rust and flow restriction. You made a really cool repair that got you up and running, but I'd use plastic or copper elbows asap to prevent trouble.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Fish, spring steel is not normally stainless, so I'm concerned about two things: rust and flow restriction. You made a really cool repair that got you up and running, but I'd use plastic or copper elbows asap to prevent trouble.
As far as restriction goes I would not worry. The 3/4 inch pipe is overkill for this machine and even a 25% restriction I don't think would matter.

As far as rust goes I thought about that too... As long as its submerged in coolant (no oxygen) there should be no rust. Also coolant has rust retardant of some sort in it. Worth a check after a week or three though... :wink:

Old 04-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #159

pp400

radiator hoses have had springs placed inside for a very very long time

Old 04-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #160

What about this for a quality and inexpensive/easy to install solution?

http://trailtech.net/tto_temperature.html

Old 04-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #161

pp400

doc , that looks like it would work fine.Also I believe you are correct ,any modern anti freeze has crrosion protection , so it shouldnt be an issue ,guess I could easily check on it.As far as flow restriction the spring i bought was a tight fit to the inside wall of the hose and had to be helped and kinda forced thru so its fairly free flowing as you said ,,shouldnt be an issue ,,but i'll watch the gauge and see,,,I seem to rember some of my old vehicles having springs on the inside of a radiator hose ,anyone else remember ?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #162

Yup I remember.

I am old.

I hope your gauge is accurate. Mine wavered quite a bit before it died. Sometimes it would bounce violently from 1/4 to 3/4 so I figured I was at 1/2 temp. No numbers on it...

Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #163

pp400

mine seems to work fine so far,but I only have 50 miles on it,but now I can test it out if the weather ever gets better!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #164

Quote:
mine seems to work fine so far,but I only have 50 miles on it,but now I can test it out if the weather ever gets better!
Mine started to waver at about 500 miles and took a $#@! for real at 850 miles. Today I should hit 1,000 miles which is like the world record for PP400 endurance... :roll:

Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
What about this for a quality and inexpensive/easy to install solution?

http://trailtech.net/tto_temperature.html
That's a nice find, Doc, but it's still $45. A Trail Tech Vapor computer doesn't cost much more.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894