Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #136

Re: hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynec
Just want to say hello and thx for all the info. Been reading for a couple of weeks and could echo what PCD said about a month ago. I am in the same spot now. Have a Beast due to arrive this week. Got the extra front shocks, carb and cdi. Already bought and rec'd the winch for my sons Honda and it looks very well built.

Anyway, reading this forum gave me the confidence to buy when all my boys (3) said I was some kinda nut to buy crap like this. I'll have them eating their words 2 weeks from now. Thanks for all the help so far.

waynec
Welcome! I encourage you to say hello in the "Introduce Yourself" section.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-26-2009, 01:41 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
And Karma rears its ugly head and bites me in the ass.

Tip: Dont remove your seat, place it on the rear rack storage box, and start the bike. It may fall off.

If it falls off, it may just land......wait for it........directly on the metal tongue.....then the metal tongue may snap off with a perfect rectangle of plastic about 1.5" X 2". BONUS...it still has the 2 nuts and bolts attached to it!!! What could be better?!!

I couldnt cut the damn thing out better with a Dremel if I tried. Perfect break.

I gotta go think about this....
Guess who else had exactly the same thing happen today? :roll:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-26-2009, 02:59 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
The new 110cc is the 50cc of late, i guess the 50cc has been discontiuned, i wonder if that is due to the crap about kids and bikes/atv's in the US, my guess is it's exactly the same but with the 110cc instead of the 50cc engine. The mini hummer and mini beast are not semi auto, they are CVT, the only 110cc semi-auto ATV that gio sells is the T1 Rebel, have a look on the SPECS tab at GIO, the mini hummer and mini beast both say CVT, and the new body style is new for a 110cc, but by the pics it's exactly the same as my son's 50cc from last year.
The descriptions have been changed. They must have been changed last week. Mini Hummer was never billed as a "hunters tool". I will check this with John. They used to say semi auto and i'll go grab a Google cache to both prove it and convince myself Im not going crazy

I thought the 50cc was a smaller frame than the 110's? To be honest with you though, i never read up on the 50's, but I did notice the similarities in body style. The specs say its slightly larger than the mini beast. Is your 50cc larger (even slightly) than the mini hummers and beasts?

I'm still looking forward to getting it though
EDIT: A google cache of the 50cc description is identical to the new 110 version, so as you say, it looks like the same bike except with a 110.
Hey Pete,

This is where I can share my experiences with you!

I bought a 110cc Mini Beast for my daughter, then a 50cc Mini ATV for my other daughter, and my in-laws subsequently bought a 110cc Mini Hummer for my nephew. I have experience twisting wrench and troubleshooting on all three of these machines. (I won't even bring up putting together additional 50 and 110cc for others.. )

The Mini ATV, the Mini Beast and the Mini Hummer are all very similar in size. The main difference you will find is in the tire size of the mini atv. The Mini Beast and the Mini Hummer have larger tires, therefore providing greater ground clearance. The mini atv, combined with its smaller tires and a god awful frame mount underneath, has very little ground clearance. It is fine on flat ground, but if there are any rocks or bumps, look out.

The Mini Hummer and the Mini ATV, share similarities in design, specifically the front shocks, 'c' brackets, steering.

The Mini Beast on the other hand has 'A' Arms and King Pins on the front.

All three units are vitually the same length.

There is a sticky in ATV section of me putting a mini atv together.
If you search in ride reports for "Pemberton" you will see some photos of my kids riding their quads, and I think their might be one of both in the picture, for a size comparison. (Can't remember)

Now, since this is a 'new' model, it may well be bigger than the former 50cc, but from the pictures it looks identical to my mini 50cc, like waynev says.

Probably should stop hijacking your beast thread on the little ones.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #139

No PCD i'm not a gio dealer, i just have a bad auction addicition, i'm looking into AA ( auction anonymous ), it started with a 50cc for my son, then i wanted to get the 110cc T1 Rebel so i could ride around with him, daddy was getting tired of running behind him holding on to the tether, i then installed the remote stop/start on his 50cc and mounted the remote on my T1's master brake cylinder, works great, only problem was the 110cc was a bit small for me and quite uncomfortable, so i then got a 200cc beast and that fit much better, my girlfriend fits better on the T1 and is enjoying riding it so i guess i'll be keeping it. I also have 2 of the 49cc pocket dirt bikes and have won lots of spare parts for all my toys, my friend also liked the pocket bikes and i ended up winning 5 of those for him, as i said to W&G, my garage is now full so i better stop buying stuff soon, only a few more spare parts to go, and maybe a few other things if the price is right.
Come on UNI, can't wait to ride tomorrow.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
And Karma rears its ugly head and bites me in the ass.

Tip: Dont remove your seat, place it on the rear rack storage box, and start the bike. It may fall off.

If it falls off, it may just land......wait for it........directly on the metal tongue.....then the metal tongue may snap off with a perfect rectangle of plastic about 1.5" X 2". BONUS...it still has the 2 nuts and bolts attached to it!!! What could be better?!!

I couldnt cut the damn thing out better with a Dremel if I tried. Perfect break.

I gotta go think about this....
Guess who else had exactly the same thing happen today? :roll:
Wow, what are the odds? That seat has dropped more times than I care to remember but it never landed in that spot before. I thin I will be much more cautious in the future.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #141

Quote:
No PCD i'm not a gio dealer, i just have a bad auction addicition, i'm looking into AA ( auction anonymous ), it started with a 50cc for my son, then i wanted to get the 110cc T1 Rebel so i could ride around with him, daddy was getting tired of running behind him holding on to the tether, i then installed the remote stop/start on his 50cc and mounted the remote on my T1's master brake cylinder, works great, only problem was the 110cc was a bit small for me and quite uncomfortable, so i then got a 200cc beast and that fit much better, my girlfriend fits better on the T1 and is enjoying riding it so i guess i'll be keeping it. I also have 2 of the 49cc pocket dirt bikes and have won lots of spare parts for all my toys, my friend also liked the pocket bikes and i ended up winning 5 of those for him, as i said to W&G, my garage is now full so i better stop buying stuff soon, only a few more spare parts to go, and maybe a few other things if the price is right.
Come on UNI, can't wait to ride tomorrow.
Ah, cool. Lots of stuff, but I'm with you for sure on the spare parts...when I see a solenoid or something come up, I grab it. Wish he'd put more things like that up there but space is money i guess.

Pete

Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #142

beast complete

I have had the beast for 2 days now and hope to have it done for Saturday. It arrived intact, complete and it is very sturdy. I am pleased.

The pivots brackets for the front suspension were bent in as PCD described. Anyone may like to know I shimmed mine and found 2 very thin SS washers worked great. 5/8" inside d by 1 1/8" outside diameter. Its an odd size and I can give a part # and source if anyone wants it. This size allows the inside sleeve of the bushing to sit inside the washer which allows for compression from the bolt to bear only...mostly... on the housing.

I went to Can Tire and asked for the NGK DR8E. The guy said all he could get was a DR8EIX and suggested that was probably a very different plug. Quoted $12.99 and did not know if that was a 2 pack. Anyone help with this?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #143

Re: beast complete

Quote:

I went to Can Tire and asked for the NGK DR8E. The guy said all he could get was a DR8EIX and suggested that was probably a very different plug. Quoted $12.99 and did not know if that was a 2 pack. Anyone help with this?
12.99 for one plug is robbery. Even high for two.

I would hit up a local autoparts store. Can't remember what part of the country you're in but I find Lordco in BC is the best pricewise for me. When I went for a plug, he did not have that one in stock, but had an autolite instead. I didn't realize at the time there was a brand new NGK in the machine, so I haven't tried the Autolite yet. I can give you that part number too if you're in a rush.

I think I paid $3.50 for one Autolite plug.

Let me know if you need the number.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #144

Re: beast complete

Quote:
I have had the beast for 2 days now and hope to have it done for Saturday. It arrived intact, complete and it is very sturdy. I am pleased.

The pivots brackets for the front suspension were bent in as PCD described. Anyone may like to know I shimmed mine and found 2 very thin SS washers worked great. 5/8" inside d by 1 1/8" outside diameter. Its an odd size and I can give a part # and source if anyone wants it. This size allows the inside sleeve of the bushing to sit inside the washer which allows for compression from the bolt to bear only...mostly... on the housing.

DR8EA is a standard NGK....nothing fancy shmancy about it. I have 3 packs now (never know) but they seem to sell out fast. Seriously fast.

They come 2 to a blister pack and "look" like car plugs but are not.
Neat link
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/SparkPlugFAQ.htm

Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #145

plug

Thx for the offer but I will find a cross ref chart here somewhere. The ix stands for Iridium Core. The actual plug number is DR8ES. I'm sure its posted here somewhere with-out that last letter. It threw me. thx

wayne

Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #146

Yeah i got my NGK plugs at canadian tire, DR8ES-L and canadian tire part # 018-3928-6, i think they were $6.99 or $7.99 for a two pack.

Got my beast case mounted properly tonight, i used the 1/2" water pipe insulation on the back, sides and bottom to hold it better and help with vibration, those pesky clamps don't fully tighten on the rack bars, but to make the case solid and clamp down properly i ended up using a couple of pcs of .024" aluminum sheet ( fascia stuff ) then bended them around the bar and slid them inside of the tube clamps, this make them solid and they now will not move when fully tightened.

Got my UNI filter on tonight too, it's still a tight fit but should work, i think i got too much oil on it though so i'll let it drain off til tomorrow and give it another go. I've comtemplated moving the battery box futher back to allow for a proper filter, or even moving it near the front, since there's so much space to make a new battery box, we'll see.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #147

thx

I appreciate the stock number. I will get one tomorrow. I was also going on a hunt for this filter...but you are saying you are not that pleased with the fit?
I notice you have bid quite often on the site and I feel i need to disclose we have butted heads once or twice. My Gio user name is 'cerlman'. I can't recall outbidding you but may have cost you a couple of bucks and if your ears were burning once.......that was me cussing at my laptop......sorry....waynec

Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #148

waynec,

Can you post a photo of how you shimmed (what I presume to be) the control arms?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #149

Re: thx

Quote:
I appreciate the stock number. I will get one tomorrow. I was also going on a hunt for this filter...but you are saying you are not that pleased with the fit?
I notice you have bid quite often on the site and I feel i need to disclose we have butted heads once or twice. My Gio user name is 'cerlman'. I can't recall outbidding you but may have cost you a couple of bucks and if your ears were burning once.......that was me cussing at my laptop......sorry....waynec
No problem, and i agree i'm kinda addicted to giobikes, there was a few things i overbid on, but i needed to get the max number of parts i could in one order to help with shipping, so i guess it still works out the same. I'll try to remember your user name and refrain from bidding against you, most people i know on here i try not to bid against, and i have more than enough stuff from gio so don't feel bad if you want to bid against me, i'll let it go.

The filter is still quite a tight fit and the foam gets really compressed on the one side, i'm either going to relocate the battery box or remove the intake manifold and remove 3/4" - 1" of it as it looks like theres room to move the carb futher forward, i'll check the material first, if it's good aluminum i'll just cut out a part and TIG weld it back together.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #150

Quote:
Yeah i got my NGK plugs at canadian tire, DR8ES-L and canadian tire part # 018-3928-6, i think they were $6.99 or $7.99 for a two pack.

Got my beast case mounted properly tonight, i used the 1/2" water pipe insulation on the back, sides and bottom to hold it better and help with vibration, those pesky clamps don't fully tighten on the rack bars, but to make the case solid and clamp down properly i ended up using a couple of pcs of .024" aluminum sheet ( fascia stuff ) then bended them around the bar and slid them inside of the tube clamps, this make them solid and they now will not move when fully tightened.

Got my UNI filter on tonight too, it's still a tight fit but should work, i think i got too much oil on it though so i'll let it drain off til tomorrow and give it another go. I've comtemplated moving the battery box futher back to allow for a proper filter, or even moving it near the front, since there's so much space to make a new battery box, we'll see.
Keep in mind the frame tubes (under the batt box) have a slope to them, so the further back you go, the higher you go. I am going from memory as i dont have the bike in front of me, but i remember this stymied my plans to move it further rearward.

Shortening the intake isnt a bad idea, only thing you would have to do is modify cable length, fuel hose length, and move the solenoid. Mine hangs right about where the side of the carb would be if you moved it.

good idea really.

pete