Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2023, 02:33 PM   #136

lower=lower clutch adjustment hiding behind exhaust pipe
upper=ferrule at clutch lever on handlebars

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 08-11-2023, 11:17 PM   #137

I found my new favorite and scenic route into town. It passes by Plainview Cemetery. This is where I want to be buried.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk08.11.2023.2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	29898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk08.11.2023.1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	29899  

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 08-12-2023, 02:56 PM   #138

No. I say no riding in the cemetery!
Joking. You are passing through on the road

Old 08-12-2023, 03:28 PM   #139

That's just the entrance. If you can see where the Hawk is parked, that is the main road and goes straight through. I might have gone down it if the sprinklers weren't on and watering a good portion of that road. Probably the most beautiful cemetery I've ever visited. They mean it when they named it Plainview. Amazing view of the plains.

Old 08-15-2023, 02:46 PM   #140

Tail bag came in today. I am very happy with the purchase. Here are a couple pics. I removed the forward plastics because they create a ton of drag and the right side was vibrating like crazy. With the new Nibbi air filter, I can hear the carb gulping huge amounts of air. Sounds wicked!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hawk08.15.2023.1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	29917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk08.15.2023.2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	29918  

Old 08-16-2023, 01:08 AM   #141

The Hawk and I went to the rec center for the first time today. They have an ok gym with a decent hoop court. Of course, everything I threw up was short. After many bricks I was finally able to wake up the muscles and force them to remember and I started to hit a few. Took it to the free throw line, short. Didn't take long there, tho, before I started draining 'em.

According to the rec center, I'm a senior (over 50). The Hawk and I are gonna glide by the senior center and see what they say.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:48 PM   #142

After mowing the weeds you can see in those last two pics, I decided to hop on the Hawk and dry myself out. Checked the odometer...already 600+ miles!

Old 08-18-2023, 05:09 PM   #143

The Hawk and I went to the tavern, Silver Spur Saloon. I had an IPA while waiting for the BBQ guy to finish with the pork for a pulled pork sandwich. Walking out of the saloon, I got a compliment on the Fonz jacket!

I suppose I will have to model it and have the wife take a pic. Even wifey said I look good in it, and it's easier to mow weeds than get a compliment from her!

Old 08-19-2023, 03:39 PM   #144

I installed a fuel filter and noticed my exhaust flange was not mated to the head. Is this normal? I tried torquing on it a little but that's about as far as it will go.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Exhaust.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	29943  

Old 08-19-2023, 04:17 PM   #145

It is just a collar. The pipe is what butts up against a copper crush gasket . The last inch or so of the pipe is double thickness, so the collar can't slip over it, but rather pushes it into the crush gasket.

Old 08-19-2023, 04:53 PM   #146

What BillHilly said. Get some exhaust crush donuts ASAP. If you remove it, you will want to seal it up when you reinstall.

Installing the headpipe involves setting the new gasket, wiggling the pipe onto the studs, placing the nuts onto the studs and gently bringing them into place. Then you wiggle the headpipe onto the crush gaskets feeling the "square on" position, and continuing to tighten the exhaust nuts, but NOT more than very snug. A shorty wrench is great for this (not much leverage).

When you are certain that the headpipe is squarely onto the crush gaskets, then you check/slip on the rest of exhaust and get the mounting bolts on, but not tight.'

Wiggling and pulling it all into place is sometimes a compromise. Then you snug up the headpipe nuts, cinch the other mounting bolts (but not the clamp between the heapipe and exhaust (if there is one). Then give the headpipe nuts a final tightening, no more than 40 ft lb. THis crushes the gasket and makes a seal.

Then after running, check them when cold. Snug them up to 40lb again.

You should not hear the sifty leak at the head pipe. Tighten a bit more if you do. Then test. I should seal up!

OR, you can overtighten them and risk shredding the exhaust stud threads. Good luck on replacing them if you do!

Old 08-19-2023, 07:18 PM   #147

careful when using torque numbers on acorn/dome/cap nuts.

Old 08-20-2023, 01:16 AM   #148

I found these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DOWP300U&psc=1

From the reviews they appear to fit the Hawk. Any thoughts?

I may attempt the cat delete but need a welder to put it back together. Unless...is it possible to just use a sleeve over it?

Old 08-20-2023, 01:46 AM   #149

the header crush washers don't have to be copper "TONE" they are not actually made from copper. $1 a pop seems a bit high from memory cant imagine inflation has hit that hard.

I believe the dimensions are correct though.

Old 08-20-2023, 12:08 PM   #150

Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
I found these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DOWP300U&psc=1

From the reviews they appear to fit the Hawk. Any thoughts?

I may attempt the cat delete but need a welder to put it back together. Unless...is it possible to just use a sleeve over it?
I think that you, and your bike will be glad you delete the cat, but I would probably just get an aftermarket exhaust, IF the only need you can foresee having a welder for is that job. I de-cated mine, and it was pretty simple, but if you do decide to weld it up yourself,and you go the route of cutting the whole thing out, then leave the beads on the parts of the pipe you will be reusing, because it's a lot easier to weld your new piece to the existing bead, without burning through. Also weld just a couple of small spots on each end of your new piece, so you can prefit it, and manipulate it to line up properly with both the exhaust port, and the mid pipe flange, THEN weld it solid. I thought I was smart by leaving the little threaded pieces on my pipe that the heat shield bolts to, and I thought it would serve as a jig, but I was still off when I went to prefit it. .
Just to give you an idea of how restrictive the cat is on these bikes, here is a picture of the one I removed from my Hawk. I put a quarter on it for scale http://
armenian keyboard
This is what I mean by leaving the beads on the pipe you will re use. http://

Last edited by Bill Hilly; 08-20-2023 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Picture