Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #136

This was July 15 of this year as we crossed the Hoover Dam into Arizona. Yep, that's 118 Fahrenheit. 8O

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #137

Here is a series of three photographs I took in October, 2008, while riding my Zong along the Salmon River, upstream from Salmon, Idaho. The first photograph shows U.S. Route 93, winding northward through the Salmon River Valley, with the snow-covered Lemhi Range on the horizon.

The next photo was taken farther ahead, at the bottom of the hill, at a bend in the Salmon River.

Riding farther ahead, I snapped the third photograph near Ellis, Idaho.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #138

Somewhere I have a pic of the Corvette's temp readout reading 00. I'll see if I can find that. I have a pic of the planes OAT (outside air temprature) gauge at -20F. That was over Sand Point, ID 4 years ago.

I like Brother Spud's pics better. The Northwest is amazing but ugh the winter!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Somewhere I have a pic of the Corvette's temp readout reading 00. I'll see if I can find that. I have a pic of the planes OAT (outside air temprature) gauge at -20F. That was over Sand Point, ID 4 years ago.

I like Brother Spud's pics better. The Northwest is amazing but ugh the winter!
In this life, we must take the good with the bad, Brother Bill.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
So you're confirming the tool application T? I was only guessing. You're the Man with this stuff.
Well I've never seen one like that before, and Barnone I believe confirmed it.. but it does make sense. The 'fork' ends are shaped correctly to be some form of valve spring compressor. It may have been designed for the flat heads since the springs, retainers and clips were under the block deck and were a bastard to take apart with a conventional spring removal tool. The way that tool looks it would go in easier.

I guess in 'theory' you could use it to remove springs on a conventional engine without removing the head from the clylinder as well.. kind of like an 'in car' valve spring compressor. Would save you having to lever off the rocker stud.

I only took about 6 or 7 flatheads apart in my time, and I swore every time. You can imagine something from the 50's was pretty much a roach by the time I saw it, and I pretty much knew the casting would be fubar'd. You wouldn't know that for sure until the valves were out and cleaned it and magnufluxed the valve seats and cylinders.

Then of course when it was screwed you'd never see the customer again because why would he want to come pay you for your time to take apart scrap, and the parts were wrecked. So, he'd go find another and take it elsewhere and stiff you for the 8 hours labour for working on his junk. I hated that business.

Sorry for the diatribe.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #141

Of course, no offence intended towards Mr. Barnone, it's just that I know about your many years on the machine shop floor, T.

Thanks for responding Barnone.

Upon reviewing both of your responses, it seems that you guys are visualizing this tool as a spring compressor so that the retainer can be removed. This tool works in reverse of that. When you squeeze the handles, the tool ratchets open and holds in that position.

It seems like it might be designed to slip under a flathead spring and force it up (or down) against the block surface, but I can't be sure. I have spring compressors for OHV engines, and this would not compress a spring in the usual way. Does that make any sense at all?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #142

More on flat head valve removal tool.

Sunnen Valve Spring Compressor Ford Flathead

As previously stated, a bitch of a job without one of these tools.

As a side note, ever shim a Ford Model T engine with sheet tin (tin can) to reduce knocking? Man, I'm getting old.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #143

Went out for a ride while the weather was good. This is a display locomotive in grapevine. They have a smaller, operational engine that is sometimes used. The trains run from Grapevine to the Ft Worth Stockyards and back.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #144

Thanks for the latest valve spring compressor tool photo, Barnone. I think I get it now.

You must compress the spring against the upper surface to remove the keepers. I couldn't wrap my mind around this one, because it compresses the spring against a surface, rather than into itself. The tool does the opposite job to what I'm accustomed to.

I found this pic that helped me:

Old 12-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Thanks for the latest valve spring compressor tool photo, Barnone. I think I get it now.

You must compress the spring against the upper surface to remove the keepers. I couldn't wrap my mind around this one, because it compresses the spring against a surface, rather than into itself. The tool does the opposite job to what I'm accustomed to.

I found this pic that helped me:

That there photo is bringing back some bad memories. At least that one is clean.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25

Went out for a ride while the weather was good. This is a display locomotive in grapevine. They have a smaller, operational engine that is sometimes used. The trains run from Grapevine to the Ft Worth Stockyards and back.
That's a cool shot Cal. I can't believe how clean that curb is. You must live in a nice area.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25

Thanks for posting the nice photo, Cal. Adding to the locomotive theme, here's a photograph I took at Promontory Summit, in October 2008. It shows two vintage locomotives posed at Golden Spike National Monument. The Transcontinental Railroad was completed at this point, in 1869, with the driving of the golden spike. The Central Pacific locomotive is on the left, and the Union Pacific locomotive is on the right.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #148

I hit 100000km in my 2009 Caravan today. I've done that 11 times in the last 22 years. Yep, 1.1 million km in minivans, while wearing a golf shirt. I'm such a nerd.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #149

WAG....we ride China bikes. We're all nerds!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #150

W&G,
I just passed 100,000 miles on my 2002 Toyota Tacoma that I bought new in 2001. Longest ownership for me in any vehicle. She is still running strong so will stay for a while. Just put on the third set of tires.

I like a small truck for my daily driver. I am lucky living in the warm climates of Southwest Florida in the winter and Western North Carolina in the summer so I can usually ride the bikes.

Stopped by the feed store and picked up some corn for the hog traps. So far I haven't seen much sign of the hogs. Fifty pound bag of corn is up to $9.95.
Cow pellets are $9.35.