Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #1

you know your a hick... snowmobile track on rear beast wheel

hahaha yeah i got a free snowmobile track and thought up this interesting idea. should work ok in the snow maybe, as long as i can get the track to stay on the tire. i have had my beast (stock tires/rims) out in the snow multiple times, and it really seems to depend on the consistency/density of the snow-how good of traction you get. deep soft snow is absolutely no good... tried out in a farmers field last year, and ended up getting towed out a bit by a buds snowmobile... once there are some tracks made, you can usually manage though.

i'm really trying to use the quad for anything and everything. stupidly enough i have tried to pull a mid size truck with it before (level land, but still), the driveline is not meant to handle that much...lol... my gearbox will clunk and skip under heavy load now... not a problem in normal conditions luckily,so i'm not rushing to buy anything or repair until it's actually broke. however i want to put a plow blade on the thing, but i know it wont be any good if i try more than an inch of snow... so thought i would experiment.

needless to say one snowmobile track (i think from a john deer sled... maybe late 70's), will not quite cover 2 wheels... just about though... about 3"/one more 'section', and it would cover both rear wheels. i used household electrical wire to snug it up to the tire and hold it center... it's what i had kicking around... will need something stronger than copper wire though for sure. i took the quad for a boot in the yard with the one track on (one tire) just to see how it would make out... seems like it could work, just need stronger wire to hold them together and squeeze form to then to the tires. i just kept the full width of the track... it clears the disc brakes and muffler by enough.

this is after ripping up some of my lawn and a few turns and rips

Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #2

interesting, if it does not work and you want to ride in the snow. pick up a spare set of wheels and put paddle tires for sand use on them as your winter tires

Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #3

To really snug it up take out one more section and let the air out of the tire then tire your track together and then pump up the tire the track will stay on no matter what after this.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #4

i want a set, lol i am looking to snow tires mabe some maxixx 4 snow :roll: would be nice for my beast
YTX14-BS battery mod,gy6 carb 250cc,custom intake,125cc cf dirtbike muffler,MPR filter/intake,performance cdi,ngk iridium xi dpr8eix-9,performance coil pack and wire, pro taper handle bar, Gio air shocks, yam swing arm bus

Old 09-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #5

That's awesome!

I wonder if atv tire chains would be more or less effective?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #6

You need to go find the skis for the front.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #7

haha yeah maybe skis might do the trick good up front...

i have no experience with tire chains, but have thought of doing that too... just this was free, and amusing to rig up.

yes i thought about letting the air out of the tire before too, that would do the trick.

i have a pile of studs i can throw in the track too!