Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2010, 01:35 AM   #1

50cc Baja

So my neighbor shows up at my door with a 50cc Baja that needs some TLC. Well I cleaned the carb and put fresh gas in and it started first kick. I adjusted the idle and air mixtures and the bike runs like a champ. \Took it for a spin and I love it. Now the reason he brought it over to me was that he wants me to take the motor from the bike and put it on his sons 50cc ATV that had a chewed gear in it's motor. It's a Gio Mini Beast clone i think it may have been a Tao Tao. Now in looking at the two engines I am not sure if it's going to work. There is no room for a kick start on the ATV and the Shifter will have to be lengthened or turned into a hand shifter. Also the bike motor seems to smoke alot I think the rings are toast as there was no air filter on the bike and I think they ran it along time without one. I can swap the head off the ATV so that'snot a problem.
So what do you guys think should I try the swap or give the kid 150 bucks so he can buy the right engine and I will keep the dirt bike.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #2

id vote to buy the bike off him, you guys are in canada.. you can easly buy motors from gio.. i hate you for that...jk.. so doing bike to quad swaps are not needed. it would be easier in the long run to just have them order up a new motor, have you install it, and have you do the proper break in on it..

Old 08-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #3

I would get the right engine. The motorcycle swap has been done successfully though.

Requires some mods to the fenders for the kickstarter.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
id vote to buy the bike off him, you guys are in canada.. you can easly buy motors from gio.. i hate you for that...jk..
You guys can buy Zongs. Touché.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #5

Well I picked up a 50cc Pocket bike for 50bucks yesterday. Guy said hi son drove it about 3 hours and was afraid of it cause it did wheelies to easy. I beleived him after I got it home the little rubber fuzzies were still on the tires. Anyways guys said it hadn't run in 2 years. Got it home emptied what I can only desribe as 2cycle oil and a little paint thinner from the tank and the carb put it back together new gas and oil 3 pulls and I was off and driving LOL. If you could call shaky arms and very slow turns driving. And yeah they are very wheelie happy. Ask my sore ass. Now it starts first pull I just have to fix the plastics as they seem pretty badly bashed.