Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
well the gold cdi from gio is a no go, after exchanging a few emails with john and sending him a picture of the cdi off ebay that shows the connection i need (square edged plug) he said they do not stock the gold cdi with that type of plug on it..
It seems odd that your quad is almost identical to our beasts yet the CDI would be different, can you post a pic of the plug end on your quad.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #32

Old 08-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #33

That looks exactly the same as my beast, i will take pics of my beast's plug and what the new CDI from GIO plug looks like when i get home.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #34

i would need the gold one cuz the plugs are squared on the edges, that is the exact same picture i emailed john and he said yes they do come with different plugs. but they only stock the cdi that will work on their quads... which i assume would be the blue one

Old 08-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
i would need the gold one cuz the plugs are squared on the edges, that is the exact same picture i emailed john and he said yes they do come with different plugs. but they only stock the cdi that will work on their quads... which i assume would be the blue one

I think your getting the color thing stuck in your head, the blue one in your pic says for water cooled engines, you don't have a water cooled engine do you?, if not you need the gold one in that pic, but from GIO that gold one also comes in blue but the gold and blue from GIO are the same with the same plugs, GIO doesn't have the blue one in your pic as they don't sell any 250cc water cooled ATV's, and it's only been a few months since they brought the 250cc water cooled bike in.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #36

well the gold one is the one with the correct style plugs on it, i just assumed that john at gio knew what i was talking about when i was asking if the gold cdi has proper plugs for me.. so if youre cdi plugs are squared like mine then i will go ahead and keep bidding on the cdi i have bids in on now.. got a little less then 5hrs to go on the auction..

hey waynev if i win this cdi and the plugs are wrong you think you could take a picture of the wires on your quad going into the cdi ? i guess if the plugs are wrong i could bullet plug each wire to the cdi.. would just need to know which wire on the harness goes to the proper wire on the cdi

Old 08-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #37

Mizke,

I have a mini atv old and new cdi here, and my plug ends are square on both units.. and the performance one is blue.

I can't check for my 200cc Beast as the quad is not at my house, and I think I left my old CDI at W&G's house since I can't find it.

Looking at your quad, I just can't see it being a different plug than our Beasts, as the motor is virtually identical. I'm sure Wayne will pop in with pics of his plugs soon, but just my .02c I think you're fine to order from Gio. I don't recall the plug ends being rounded like that.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #38

ya we continued this talk in my new guy thread cuz he hijacked the op's thread..

but i couldnt see the plugs being different either when i ask him about it.. but still ive got a bid in so i hope i win it.. then its shocks or a high performance coil

Old 08-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #39

I have the blue CDI for my X31(not installed cause it looks like there is going to be some fabrication involved) It has the square edges. I tried taking a pic but I cant figure out how to upload to my thread.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #40

go to photobucket.com

upload the photo's here thenwhen you put your mouse over the photo a window appears below it.. go to down to the link with the img on it. copy and past that into the reply windw for this site

Old 08-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #41

Taken from one of my old posts on the same subject about the T1 CDI, maybe this will help, the other guy i replied to was plugging his new CDI into the wrong plug and this cleared things up for him.

In this pic of my T1 the red arrow shows where the stock cdi is, unplug the connector from there, zip tie in your new CDI and it should plug right in as the green arrow shows.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #42

cdi styles

Ok first the short answer.
Here is the readers digest of how a CDI works
In all cases there is a magnet that passes a magnetic coil and induces a pulse in that coil which then is wired to the CDI and causes the small induced pulse to fire an electronic device (there are more than 1 type but this all happens inside the CDI) Which discharges the larger pulse stored in a capacitor. This larger output pulse is wired to the coil where the large pulse is able to make the coil function as a voltage increasing transformer thereby producing the very high voltage necessary to create a spark across the gap of the spark plug.
Now for the 2 main type of CDI used in the 49 cc scooter market, AC and DC Both function essentially the same. With the AC unit, alternating plus and minus varying voltages are used to charge the capacitor described in the paragraph above. The DC unit takes 12 volts more or less DC from the battery and that voltage is used to charge the capacitor described in the paragraph above.
Pros and Cons:
AC unit allows the engine to run without the need for a battery or charging system of any kind.
DC unit was created to allow higher RPM ranges due to the instantaneous availability of the Charging current. Where the AC one has lots of complex and difficult to explain things like coil flux density and residual decay etc.
The wiring is different also usually but not always, the ac ones have a rectifier or diode ahead of the CDI and the DC ones just connect directly to the battery.
the way to tell for sure is to turn on the key and see if 12v is present at the CDI assuming all else is correct. Some units that are DC include:

Kymco Agility 50, Diamo Velocity, Vento Triton, Schwinn, Tomos, and other high end Chinese, Korean, and Taiwanese scooters.
One easy way to tell is the size of your CDI unit. The AC fired CDI will be much smaller than the DC fired CDI, as shown in this picture. Also, you have two plugs on the CDI, one with four, the other two. If the two wire plug actually has only one wire in it, it's a DC. If it has two wires in it, it is an AC fired. The number of wires is only a loose guide. The size of the box, along with this guide is a better determination. An AC box will be smaller (see pic) and will measure about 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 approximately, the DC box will be much larger as it has a DC-DC converter in it. Such words as AC or DC pulsed or AC or DC triggered are the same thing as the AC or DC fired units. One quick warning on performance units, with the advanced angle of our CDI's your engine may actually run worse if it's not running right or is carbureted too lean. I'd recommend installing a larger main jet to take full advantage of these units.
Hope this helps. MO!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #43

Well put! Thank you!