Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #1

my dremel died

i was cutting the upper stock muffler mount off and it started acting like the battery was going dead. but i had just taken it off the charger about 10 minutes prior.. so i put it back on for an hour, took it off and went back to cutting it just slowly died on me.

its a sad night for me, this little guy worked its butt off for me. i saw a 20 dollar high speed rotary tool from great neck at autozone earlier today, think im going to pick it up later on today.. but i am also going to go to walmart and buy another 20 dollar 4.8v dremel. it was nice not having the power cord or having to run extension cords, also great for around the house stuff.

just sad and bummed it died on me, it has pulled me out of tuff spots from stripped screw heads to cutting metal stuff on the quad nad even used it for help in mounted my amp and sub in the trunk of the stang. i used it for every thing..

r.i.p. 4.8v dremel #1

not my pic or photobucket account just easier then adding it to mine.. it came up in a google search so guess its safe to use

Old 08-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #2

Can you open it up and change out the rechargable batteries? Its not doing you any good the way it is, I would crack that thing open and give it a shot.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #3

the battery is good, i tested it with a multi meter..

being into rc heli's and rc monster trucks both of which i own are nitro and electric.. its the brushes in the motor that are bad.. already took the motor out of it and looked at it.. its a sealed case, no way of opening the rear motor cap to get at the brushes with out damaging the motor it self..

Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #4

Re: my dremel died

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
i saw a 20 dollar high speed rotary tool from great neck at autozone earlier today, think im going to pick it up later on today..
To paraphrase Doc, who names these things?

Bummer about your Dremel. I hate when tools die. I bought a kit with a 120 volt and 12 volt offshore version with tons of bits for $15.00 from Joe's before they went under. I miss that store.

What is HF's return policy like? We have a similar store in Canada called Princess Auto, and they'll take anything back, anytime. I feel better about trying cheap stuff knowing that there's a back door.

The unit at HF can't be any bigger of a risk than the Great Neck at Autozone.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #5

not sure about their return program, but i will go check and see what they have their.. i preffer autozone and greatneck.. cuz i have used some greatneck stuff before and its mildly decent stuff.. really thinking about biting the bullet and jsut going to walmart and picking up a top of the line of dremel and even tho it comes with the 120 part kit, grabbing another one cuz i burn through cut off wheels, and a few other bits like a mad man..

Old 08-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #6

Wouldn't that motor be like a std. 540 motor or 480, should be able to get one from tower hobbies or hobbyking for cheap.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #7

the can could be a 540 or 480 motor, but the windings, and magnets could be different on the inside. both of those effect torque and power..

i do need a new more powerful one since im getting into cutting more and more metal.. that one is good for inside small jobs..

Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
i do need a new more powerful one since im getting into cutting more and more metal.. that one is good for inside small jobs..
Need a brushless / LIPO setup, as you know how much better they work in our RC gear than the old brushed motor on NiCd or NIMH, not sure if Dremel has a setup like that yet.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Quote:
Need a brushless / LIPO setup, as you know how much better they work in our RC gear than the old brushed motor on NiCd or NIMH, not sure if Dremel has a setup like that yet.
hmm, that sounds like a project... too bad i dont have any "spare" brushless motors laying around, even if i did. i would have to rig up the speed controller to it and house it some how.. but a 480-540 brushless setup is more then a little pricey..

Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #10

Do you buy from Hobbyking?, their brushless motors and LIPO's are extremely low cost.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #11

nah i buy my stuff at the hobby town a block away..

Old 08-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #12

Quote:
nah i buy my stuff at the hobby town a block away..
Nice, keeping the locals in business always helps the hobby, my LHS is not that friendly so i do lots of online shopping, i remember paying $100 for 2100 3s LIPOs a year ago, now at HK i can get them for around $10 and most of the brushless motors i have got are around $20 and the quality is actually quite good for such low cost products.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #13

I had a Dremel and it didn't last very long..... maybe a year or two of light to moderate work. I bought a B&D and it's been doing good for over 5 years now. Having said that I had a B&D 4" grinder that only lasted a few months and while hesitant of buying another one, the new B&D grinder has been going strong for 3 years. Tools seem to be hit or miss.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #14

After having a Black and Decker Sander, Drill, and jigsaw all crap out after just a few uses, I gave up on them completely. I think it was something simple like a switch on all three. It might have been a phase they went through and are fine now but no matter, I wont ever buy B&D again. I was really feeling proud about a deal I got on a Dewalt drill to replace the almost new but dead B&D. My neighbor pointed out that DeWalt is owned by B&D :? It has been fine though.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
After having a Black and Decker Sander, Drill, and jigsaw all crap out after just a few uses, I gave up on them completely. I think it was something simple like a switch on all three. It might have been a phase they went through and are fine now but no matter, I wont ever buy B&D again. I was really feeling proud about a deal I got on a Dewalt drill to replace the almost new but dead B&D. My neighbor pointed out that DeWalt is owned by B&D :? It has been fine though.
I hear ya, I've been reluctant to buy more B&D stuff because aside from that one grinder, I also had a corded drill go out, but aside from those times, I've been........"ok" with them. Definetly, nothing to write home about, but having said that, I also have a 5 year old 18volt cordless drill that's holding up good. No, it's nothing like my neighbors Rigid, but with two batteries and being built for a homeowner, it's been pretty decent. I built a little cabin with it last fall and I wanna say I sunk about 50 3" screws with it, on a single battery. Having said all that, I would agree with you that a Dewalt, Milwakee's, Rigid, or other high end tool would be better.