Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2010, 04:47 AM   #1

cdi info

has any one had any experience with this cdi ? been thinking about buying it, and i just went out and checked my plugs. they are squared edges and not the round kind so it is the gold cdi i am asking about cuz thats the one that will work...

or if you have any suggestions for a 2plug/6pin sqaured edged cdi let me know

pretty much going to buy a cdi, performance coil to go along with my fmf pc2 muffler

thanks guys

Old 08-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #2

this is my cdi http://www.giobikes.com/Performance-...rchPhrase=1073

it is the best 15$$ upgrade and it will not disappoint
YTX14-BS battery mod,gy6 carb 250cc,custom intake,125cc cf dirtbike muffler,MPR filter/intake,performance cdi,ngk iridium xi dpr8eix-9,performance coil pack and wire, pro taper handle bar, Gio air shocks, yam swing arm bus

Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #3

cool iwill look into it. but i have ran into another problem..

the sqaure plug on the gold cdi has 4 wires going into it.. the plug on my harness that would plug into that plug only has 3 and the after talking with the ebay seller he is saying no returns and this cdi is going to run me 40 to 50 bucks..

so im trying to figure out if that wire is needed or not. really dont want to have to pull the pins and change them around to find out which way it works.. plus i dont want to fry the cdi

Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

you the the gold one in your photo
YTX14-BS battery mod,gy6 carb 250cc,custom intake,125cc cf dirtbike muffler,MPR filter/intake,performance cdi,ngk iridium xi dpr8eix-9,performance coil pack and wire, pro taper handle bar, Gio air shocks, yam swing arm bus

Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyfa18
you the the gold one in your photo
dont get what your asking, sorry..

i know to go with the gold one as it uses the sqaured edge connections but the problem is that extra wire that the cdi has going into the sqaure plug.. on my quad the sqaure plug only has 3 wires going to 3 out of 4 of the pins in the plug

Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #6

The gold one will be fine, that is the same on i have on my 200cc GIO Beast, and don't worry about the 4th wire, my atv ony has 3 wires from the wiring harness going to the atv side of the plug yet my CDI also has 4 wires into the plug and is the same as that gold one other than mine is blue ( but not the blue one in your pics ).

Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
The gold one will be fine, that is the same on i have on my 200cc GIO Beast, and don't worry about the 4th wire, my atv ony has 3 wires from the wiring harness going to the atv side of the plug yet my CDI also has 4 wires into the plug and is the same as that gold one other than mine is blue ( but not the blue one in your pics ).
sweet thanks, cant wait to get them.. im looking at doing a custom battery tray so i have a nice safe place to mount it at.. also with the seller not accepting returns i had to know for sure it would work with that one wire not being hooked up before i bought it..

Old 08-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #8

Yeah, i replaced and remounted my battery, mostly to make room for the air filter but also to get a few more AH as well, here's a few pics of mine on my beast ( their buried deep in another thread so i'll repost them for you), it's made from the angle and flatbar from the shipping crate my beast came in.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #9

looks very good, i bet it gets dirty as hell sitting there.. ever thought about dong some kind of enclosure to protect the battery..

i found a open air filter that comes with a 90 bend on the intake tube so it will clear my battery.. just want some place safe to mount the cdi when i buy and that shows it off when the seat is off of it..

Old 08-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #10

Actually it really doesn't get that dirty there, not that i ride tons of mud though, i found the CDI wires on my beast to be a bit short to get the CDI under the seat, i opted to melt a few holes with a screwdriver and zip tie it to a spot near the headlight plastic under the LF fender.

EDIT: i guess my CDI is the gold one, i thought it was blue, i did have a blue one that same as the gold one, hmmmm. wonder where that went.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #11

thats a great idea but my leads for the cdi are located to the left front of the battery and there not that long..

now i wonder if i extended the wires would that hinder performance ? cuz i can solder very good and always use heat shrink tubing and then wrap it in electrical tape and throw another heat shrink on top of that to make damn sure no water or anything gets down into the connection plus it also makes the wire just behind the solder joint stiffer so it went bend and wiggle as much

Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #12

I'd just put it where the wires will allow, it's also a good idea to get some dielectric grease and put it in every connector to keep the electrical gremlins out.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #13

ya i went out and bought some last night, after pulling the plugs on my cdi and seeing all of the dirt and crap in them i made it a point to buy some.. turns out the perfect spot for my cdi is in the stock location between a metal plate and the left knee area on the body.

cant wait till i have a reason to do a motor swap.. i am going to strip everything off the frame and have it powder coated red, run all new wires and and all new plugs. figure aslong as i go slow and do one set of plugs at a time and dont get any wires mixed up i can use any kind of plugs i want. might even try to feed the wires through the frame for that oh so fresh n clean look.. kind of like doing a wire tuck in the engine bay of a car.