Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #1

49cc 2stroke Gio Pocket Quad Engine Break In

Hello Everyone,

My pocket quad has a 1litre gas tank. I've heard that I should run 2 or 3 tanks of gas/oil mix through it to break it in. I've also heard that I should do this at an idle or I can give it a bit of throttle once in a while during the break in period.....................does this sound about right?

Because it's forced air cooled wont I sieze the motor if it's just idleing for a few tanks of gas withouth the air of riding it being forced through the fins to cool it?

I've also heard differing reports about what type of gas/oil to use to break the engine in...........some say high quality synthetic 2stroke oil and high octane gas.........others say non-synthetic oil and lower octane gas for the break in period and then move to the good stuff.

Any words of advice or any tips for me. Any bits of info is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #2

Your atv is a 2 stroke? Like a weed eater engine? If so I would fill it up with good gas/oil and run it. Vary the load and rpm for awhile. Maybe not full revs for the first hour.

Allen

Old 08-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Your atv is a 2 stroke? Like a weed eater engine? If so I would fill it up with good gas/oil and run it. Vary the load and rpm for awhile. Maybe not full revs for the first hour.

Allen
Hi Allen, thanks for the response. Yep, it sure is a 2stroke. Have you ever heard anything about the perils of using synthetic oil during the break in period i.e. it prevents the rings from seating properly due to its advanced lubeing qualities?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #4

I have heard such things for 4 strokes, but don't mess with 2 strokes much.

Just got a new trimmer. Gassed it up and used it. The manual said to use a quality oil. Thats it.

Allen

Old 08-05-2009, 11:49 PM   #5

There is nothing wrong with a good quality, old school oil. It's worked for generations.

Synthetic oil is just another 'idea' being pushed on us to open up our wallets more, thinking we're being green and using something better, for more money. I'm sure you're still not allowed to flush synthetic oil down the drain or in the storm sewer when done with it.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #6

I agree that there's nothing wrong with conventional oil, but I believe that synthetic is cheap insurance. Synthetic oil is made from a petroleum base, but it has several additives that conventional oil does not. I know from my experience that synthetic oil takes a lot longer to break down and turn dark, owing to its ability to better resist heat.

In the case of a two-stroke, synthetic oil is totally soluble in gasoline and produces less smoke. I used it in my old Suzuki to cut down on smoke, but it's too expensive for that old bike. I'm back to conventional two-stroke oil for that one. All of our four-stroke machines use synthetic oil.

I would not recommend synthetic two-stroke oil for your new 49cc pocket quad, simply because the cost isn't justified. I do recommend high octane gas, because the compression ratio of a two-stroke is dynamic and higher octane runs somewhat cooler. It might be a little harder to start with high octane, but it'll run great.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #7

Leave it W&G to dissagree with me. Perhaps I'm more cynical.

I would say synthetic makes sense if you don't want to change your oil all the time as it will last longer.

...but if you're nuts like me and change your oil all the time it makes no sense to use it, and espcecially in a two stroke which is using it continuously.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 AM   #8

On a Two smoke I would run normal and not even wory about synthetic, It's not like You have to make it to the next oil change.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
There is nothing wrong with a good quality, old school oil. It's worked for generations.

Synthetic oil is just another 'idea' being pushed on us to open up our wallets more, thinking we're being green and using something better, for more money. I'm sure you're still not allowed to flush synthetic oil down the drain or in the storm sewer when done with it.
Yep, you definitely have a point.................for generations people have been using the old school oil without a problem...........something to thinkg about...........thanks for the advice.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #10

A big thanks to everyone who responded...........I really appreciate the help. Happy riding.