Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #1

50cc giovanni upgrades

I'm thinking about doing upgrades to my atv and have some questions. Also please advise which upgrade is better. I'm interested in getting more top speed.

1) Is an ignition coil a good upgrade and also will any ignition coil fit.

I'm interested in something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ignition-Coil-Arctic-Cat-300-2x4-02_W0QQitemZ250398463326QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item250398463326&_trksi d=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A131

OR
2) Minkuni Carb

http://www.giobikes.com/Auction/1244...ce-Carburetor/

Also I am upgrading the battery and the chain since these to are a must on any atv. What is the size of the chain and does anybody know where to purchase these batteries?

Old 04-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #2

Hey Yozalo! Welcome! Please take the time to say hello in the "Introduce Yourself" section.

Take the chain off and bring it into a motorcycle shop to be sure, but I'll guarantee that the chain is either a 420 or a 428. Bringing the chain also makes sure that the new one has enough links. Expect to pay around $20 for a new RK or DID (non o-ring) chain. Use plenty of Maxima Chain Wax before and half way through your ride.

You'll likely get more out of a spark plug wire upgrade than a new coil. If you peel back the boot where the spark plug wire comes out of the coil, you can then unscrew the wire. There is a small screw inside the coil that the wire simply screws on to; no tools are needed. Take the wire to Canadian Tire and buy the NGK plug wire that fits the "stud type" spark plug. The NGK wires are cheap, they're a good performance upgrade, and they come with a cool decal. The Canadian Tire part number is 026-2714-0.

Get a Uni pod-style filter before buying a new carb. If you can show us a photo of the carb you have now, I can recommend a filter. They're about $20 at any motorcycle shop.

Walmart has decent batteries that will fit your quad.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #3

I upgraded my bearings. I went to the local store and ordered them. I have to pick them up. I got the high quality Chinese bearings.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #4

Weldangrind, I am going to sell me 50cc atv probably and get a 110cc. How much do you think I should sell my 50cc atv for? I just want a more powerful atv and am probably going to get 110cc bull quadro. I am probably just going to cancel the order for the bearings, and going to sell it. I listed my 50cc atv for $350.