Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2024, 02:45 PM   #1

Doh! Sheng Wey PZ30>Nibbi PE28FL

After the better part of a year fiddling with that damn Nibbi, I have finally given up on it. Putting the Keihin clone JJH needle in it seemed to help, but was probably a mistake in the end. The final straw was realizing it had been dumping fuel down the intake and mixing with the oil. The whole time. Before I put the JJH needle in it.

So, I decided a Mikuni VM26 clone was the answer. Ordered it, received it, installed it, ran it, it's too rich and needs a Pilot jet change. Had to order pilot jets. While waiting for those to come in, I remembered my old stock PZ30 and said what the heck, down-time sucks, so I pulled it out and decided to see if the JJH would fit. It does...perfectly.

Ran it, mid-range too fat, pulled the needle and leaned it one notch. She's running better than she EVER did with that Nibbi. It's always idled perfectly, so no need to mess with the air/fuel mixture screw. I set it to 1.5 turns out and never looked back. I can crack the throttle hard and she responds, no bogging or dying out.

Not sure if I'll ever install that Mikuni. I was WRONG about the PZ30 and I apologize.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

John 2:15 So He made a whip out of cords and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; He scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.

Old 10-24-2024, 02:51 PM   #2

The Nibbi needle profile is dog shit, reminds me of dynojet needles. Anything after the first needle setting gives you too much fuel at the transition to your main jet.

Old 10-24-2024, 03:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumen Rider View Post
The Nibbi needle profile is dog shit, reminds me of dynojet needles. Anything after the first needle setting gives you too much fuel at the transition to your main jet.
Agreed. I took some side-by-side comparison shots. At my elevation, I couldn't tell a difference from one setting to the next, no matter which way I went. Junk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Needle1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	32177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Needle2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	32178  

John 2:15 So He made a whip out of cords and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; He scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.

Old 10-24-2024, 04:16 PM   #4

Sorry you went through all that but at least it's mostly settled. After pulling out the plugs I've been pretty happy with my stock carb. If anything given the end of my tail pipe is a little sooty I might need to lean it out a bit. The bike runs really well though.
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 10-24-2024, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
After the better part of a year fiddling with that damn Nibbi, I have finally given up on it. Putting the Keihin clone JJH needle in it seemed to help, but was probably a mistake in the end. The final straw was realizing it had been dumping fuel down the intake and mixing with the oil. The whole time. Before I put the JJH needle in it.

So, I decided a Mikuni VM26 clone was the answer. Ordered it, received it, installed it, ran it, it's too rich and needs a Pilot jet change. Had to order pilot jets. While waiting for those to come in, I remembered my old stock PZ30 and said what the heck, down-time sucks, so I pulled it out and decided to see if the JJH would fit. It does...perfectly.

Ran it, mid-range too fat, pulled the needle and leaned it one notch. She's running better than she EVER did with that Nibbi. It's always idled perfectly, so no need to mess with the air/fuel mixture screw. I set it to 1.5 turns out and never looked back. I can crack the throttle hard and she responds, no bogging or dying out.

Not sure if I'll ever install that Mikuni. I was WRONG about the PZ30 and I apologize.
Yep, which is why I am rocking my VM26 even with all the other mods I have done. I could get a PE tune dialed in close, but there was always something off with it and it got tiresome after a while. My fuel economy was also in the toilet. Put my VM26 on and had it tuned perfectly with just one jet change.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-25-2024, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Yep, which is why I am rocking my VM26 even with all the other mods I have done. I could get a PE tune dialed in close, but there was always something off with it and it got tiresome after a while. My fuel economy was also in the toilet. Put my VM26 on and had it tuned perfectly with just one jet change.
I'm sure I will install my VM26...cause...why not? But right now it's nice to have a carb that just works and works pretty good.

Makes sense that a Keihin clone needle works in a Keihin clone carb. Gonna run the micrometer and find the needle that's closest to stock. My last gripe about the PZ30 still holds: Pilot jet silliness. It perturbs me when companies do silly stuff like make a pilot jet proprietary.